RVAOsFan

Ryan Mountcastle 2019

Just now, MCO'sFan said:

The thing that jumps out at me is that most of the other players (who have won awards) never made it in the Majors. Let's hope that changes.

I think generally speaking teams don't leave guys at AAA all season when they are playing well, so you end up with older AAAA guys putting up the counting numbers.

• Upvote 3

I was reading this Baltimore Sun article, https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-reset-ryan-mountcastle-september-callup-20190826-wwqzzlesknb2vg5adw4adirpcu-story.html

and I saw this quote

"The strides he’s made at the plate are real. Jace Peterson hit either before or after him for months at Norfolk and commended how Mountcastle learned quickly that pitchers would challenge him with high heat then sliders away. He adjusted, a sign that there’s an eye there that the walk rate doesn’t show; he just has the ability to get his bat to many of them, and drive what he gets his bat to. "

Could he have a better approach than what his BB rates are suggesting?  Could there be more BBs in the future?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I was reading this Baltimore Sun article, https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-reset-ryan-mountcastle-september-callup-20190826-wwqzzlesknb2vg5adw4adirpcu-story.html

and I saw this quote

"The strides he’s made at the plate are real. Jace Peterson hit either before or after him for months at Norfolk and commended how Mountcastle learned quickly that pitchers would challenge him with high heat then sliders away. He adjusted, a sign that there’s an eye there that the walk rate doesn’t show; he just has the ability to get his bat to many of them, and drive what he gets his bat to. "

Could he have a better approach than what his BB rates are suggesting?  Could there be more BBs in the future?

Yep, it is possible that if he learns he can't drive certain ML pitches that he will stop swinging at them.  As Buck and CO would say learn what you can't hit.  Right now his bat to ball skills are probably letting him drive pitchers' pitches. 

Not as if he has a reputation for swinging at complete junk or has had issues with a huge number of strikeouts.

4 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

The thing that jumps out at me is that most of the other players mentioned in the news release (who have won awards) never made it in the Majors. Let's hope that changes.

Randy Milligan won the award when he was 25.  Guessing not too many 22 year olds on that list.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Mountcastle is guaranteed to have a career comparable to Jim Thome

Thome's stats the year he won the award were significantly better than Mountcastle's this year. I am not sure why people have to be so negative on here.  

Just now, atomic said:

Thome's stats the year he won the award were significantly better than Mountcastle's this year. I am not sure why people have to be so negative on here.  

I think it’s called a joke.   Nothing negative about it.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

You are right. Mountcastle will be better than Thome.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s called a joke.   Nothing negative about it.  

It is sarcasm which is negative. People are never happy on here.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I not sure that I disagree! But, in a 0 tolerance situation might be a big win. Under that scenario if Antonio agrees, the risk is very small.
    • I just finished Erik Larson’s latest book, The Splendid and the Vile.     It covers the first year of Churchill’s time as Prime Minister in WWII, during which the British pulled off a miraculous escape from Dunkirk, Britain endured 8 months of near-nightly bombing raids, and the US passed the Lend-Lease Act as FDR’s response to Churchill’s pleas for weapons and munitions.    The book is centered around Churchill but also has detailed accounts of others in his family, various key advisors, and various figures in the US and Germany.    As usual, it’s a stellar narrative by Larson that reads like a serial action story.     It’s a really good time to read a book like this, remembering the past sacrifices people made and hardships entire countries have had to endure, and yet emerged from.    I’m starting a new book, Last Hope Island, that focuses on the contributions made by some of the smaller European nations during WWII, including a number of government leaders who had taken refuge in London while still resisting the Germans after their countries were overrun (hence, the title of the book).  
    • He'd been battling kidney disease for quite a while. https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2884681-white-sox-broadcaster-ex-mlb-player-ed-farmer-dies-at-age-70.amp.html
    • Definitely more then the flu. The damage to the lungs is alarming. Seems to act  like more then just a virus in the 5% who get it real bad.  https://www.npr.org/2020/04/01/825499422/ventilators-can-save-lives-of-some-covid-19-patients-but-theyre-no-panacea   From my friend in his 50's. He is not even in the hospital but at home.  Im willing to look into sharing my immunity (once I survive). I im 9 days into exposure. Thank god lungs are clear. Breathing is strong. Dealing with 20% normal energy. No appetite. Lost 9 pounds so far.  Fever ranging from 101 - 103. Chills. Diarrhea.  Fun. Fun. Fun.  
    • Thanks.    These are fun observations to have at a time when there are no current games to evaluate.    
    • Not sure what schools have to do with baseball.  Schools have closed because it is hard to get the schoolyear finished before the start of the next one.  Also that is public, not privately owned like MLB.  I think baseball could do July or earlier if necessary.  Seems MLB doesn't want to start unless fans can attend.  NBA and NHL, I think were looking at the CBA(Chinese basketball league) for starting up.  Sending players to neutral sites, keeping players and coaches under quarantine, and playing in empty stadiums.  I think baseball could do that in Arizona or Florida or both.  I kind of agree with Mark Cuban that games would help people in the crisis, but would need to be done safely.  WWE seems to be handling it well so far.  UFC is also going to try with 249 and their last Fight Night in Brazil. 
    • 50-80% is quite a wide array statistically which means its still not clear.  if its closer to 80% you are more correct, if its 50%, we are choosing to kill people being short because 1/2 people on ventilators survive.
  • Popular Contributors