RVAOsFan

Ryan Mountcastle 2019

I noticed Mountcastle is wearing no. 20 down in Norfolk.   Very auspicious.     He’ll need to come up with a new number with the O’s, though.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I noticed Mountcastle is wearing no. 20 down in Norfolk.   Very auspicious.     He’ll need to come up with a new number with the O’s, though.   

That's because he is the next Frank Robinson

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Go to bed

Alternatively, when a person stops voicing negative comments, especially sarcastic and critical ones, he or she may soon start to feel happier and more self-confident. Also, the other people in his or her life benefit even faster because they no longer have to hear the emotionally hurtful language of sarcasm.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Alternatively, when a person stops voicing negative comments, especially sarcastic and critical ones, he or she may soon start to feel happier and more self-confident. Also, the other people in his or her life benefit even faster because they no longer have to hear the emotionally hurtful language of sarcasm.

You seem happy. Please give me some more tips on how to be as happy as you.

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

See more negativity.  I feel sorry for you.  Your insecurity is showing. 

• Upvote 1

Sarcasm is “the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.”   I did not interpret the remark about Thome that way.    But if you want to be defensive about it, go ahead. Seemed like a lighthearted remark to me.   

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Now that, on the other hand, is sarcasm.   

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

See more negativity.  I feel sorry for you.  Your insecurity is showing. 

If you are going to come in here and act like a fool, why don’t you at least pay to help keep the site going?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Like several folks I have placed atomic on ignore. Problem is that his trolling still comes through when folks quote him. I guessing there’s no way to avoid that

8 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

Like several folks I have placed atomic on ignore. Problem is that his trolling still comes through when folks quote him. I guessing there’s no way to avoid that

What if there were a click option or personal setting to view or not view a post that quotes someone on one's Ignore list?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Calling him a troll is a compliment.  He needs to be called a loser more often.  That's what he is.  If enough of us come together and call him a loser maybe he will go away.  He won't though.  Why?  Because he's a loser who has nothing better to do with his life than troll this board. 

This is a little much.  What kind of hangout is this..?

Just reading the last 2 pages and Dirty Bird was way more of a jerk than atomic was.  Then everybody starts calling him names, and this....

This is a bad look.

11 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

The thing that jumps out at me is that most of the other players mentioned in the news release (who have won awards) never made it in the Majors. Let's hope that changes.

Barring a car accident or something similar, Mountcastle’s probability of making the majors is 100%. He will get multiple shots to stick. 

I was was very surprised that he won league MVP. kudos to Ryan. 

11 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I was reading this Baltimore Sun article, https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-reset-ryan-mountcastle-september-callup-20190826-wwqzzlesknb2vg5adw4adirpcu-story.html

and I saw this quote

"The strides he’s made at the plate are real. Jace Peterson hit either before or after him for months at Norfolk and commended how Mountcastle learned quickly that pitchers would challenge him with high heat then sliders away. He adjusted, a sign that there’s an eye there that the walk rate doesn’t show; he just has the ability to get his bat to many of them, and drive what he gets his bat to. "

Could he have a better approach than what his BB rates are suggesting?  Could there be more BBs in the future?

Sliders away are tough pitches. We watched Jones and Schoop never really learn to lay off consistently. But like we saw with them, not every pitcher throws a slider, or can execute all the time. 

I’d rather have the player with top bat on ball skills, and have the question be can he be more selective, versus the guy that’s patient, but can’t hit certain pitches. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 131 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Just my two cents, but I didn't think it was an insult either, just respectful playfulness to a well known poster with well known posting traits.  As for thread, the reading has been great and I think I am leaning mostly to Martin as my preferred choice (or Torkelson if he falls to #2).  Just will be great to see anything baseball related, looking forward to the draft, even truncated as it is.  
    • No I don't.  I don't know if he would be a good or a poor pick because the information is unclear.  What I'm saying that the error bars in Gonzales' performance are greater than those accompanying Martin or Torkelson because of the obscuring effects of an environment where teams score 10 runs a game.  If the Orioles' projections for Gonzales are good enough that the uncertainty is less relevant, than great, draft him.  But the uncertainty is still there, it doesn't go away.  Of course the offensive environment has a huge impact on his numbers, I don't see why that's even a point of discussion.  But maybe that fact is less important than the scouting reports and other information. Also, New Mexico State's park isn't small.  It's 345-385-400.  Dimensions aren't everything.  It's altitude, wind and other effects.  Coors has perhaps the largest outfield in MLB.
    • There's strange quirks of the BBWAA voting even today that I don't fully grasp.  Like why Scott Rolen got no support.  And then there's the fact that nobody is ever officially excluded, you're always a Vet's Committee candidate as long as you played 10 years.  So who knows what things will look like in 20 or 30 years. Evan Longoria is just tremendously better than Pie Traynor, and Pie Traynor used to sometimes be called the best third baseman of all time. I guess I should really try to remember that "Hall of Fame Standards" aren't really a thing.  All along the Hall has included guys like Ray Schalk and Bill Mazeroski while keeping Alan Trammell and Bert Blyleven waiting for decades.
    • Great player.  Terrible news.  RIP, Wes.
    • The single biggest difference between hitting for the Colorado Rockies and NMSU is the pitching you are facing.  As with every college and high school player ever entering a draft, Gonzales has not been facing major league players.  The numbers he put up, though, were not solely because he was playing in a small park in New Mexico.  At least, there isn't any evidence to support such a claim.  Hitting home runs is not his sole skill.  The smaller dimensions actually detract from doubles and triples, yet he excels in those areas, as well.  Even hit an inside-the-park grand slam.  He makes contact and hits the ball hard all over the ballpark, and runs well.  College career: 89 walks and 79 strikeouts (plus 18 HBP).  Coupled with his high batting average, the guy gets on base.  That is not a park thing.  The altitude is 1300 feet lower than Denver, by the way.  I'm not the one saying "..that the Orioles should never, ever select a player whose home park was a hitters park" …  and if you aren't saying that, what, exactly, are you saying?  The sole argument you have mounted in all of these posts amounts to exactly that, as far as I can see. I can see that I am somehow being unsuccessful in convincing you that your argument is based solely on geography and it is for certain that you aren't convincing me otherwise.  We will obviously remain in disagreement here.  Hey, I'd be real happy with Tork, Martin, or Lacy, as I said earlier.  I also would have no problem with Elias should he make Gonzales our choice at #2, especially if that can somehow help us have some extra money to sign a guy like Nick Bitsko at  #30.  You clearly think that would be a bad move.  I get that.
    • Evan Longoria seems unlikely to make the Hall, unless his career inexplicably ends as strongly as it began. 3 Gold Gloves, 3 All Star appearances, Rookie of the Year, top 11 in MVP voting 4 times. Will probably fall short of 400 homers and 2500 hits (he is at 297/1703 through his age 33 season), played in a small market. He is unlikely to reach that average rWAR of 68, he is currently at 56, and has accrued 4.2 rWAR over his last 2 season. He accrued 27.2 rWAR over his first four seasons (through age 25) and 28.8 in the eight seasons since.  Longoria is a little similar to Andruw Jones minus the highlight reel defense, both burned brightly and looked like sure Hall of Famers at 25 before settling into solid to great regulars for the next 5 years.  The fact that Scott Rolen only got 10 percent of the vote his first year with 70.1 rWAR, 8 Gold Gloves and 7 All Star appearances makes me think that Longoria doesn't have much of a shot unless a Veterans Committee comes along and sweeps him in with guys like Bobby Abreu, Jim Edmonds, and Kenny Lofton who got minimal Hall of Fame votes but meet the historical Hall of Fame standards.
  • Popular Contributors