Jump to content
RVAOsFan

Ryan Mountcastle 2019

Recommended Posts

Mountcastle is more than holding his own as a 22 year old at Norfolk, but regardless of his defensive position, I'd like to see improvement in plate discipline from him before he is called up.  He has 7 walks and 39 strikeouts in 171 plate appearances so far this season.  I don't want him to turn into the next Jeff Francouer.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had many, many guys at Norfolk struggle over the years and it has been blamed on the ballpark.  The way RM, Sisco and DJ are hitting this year, they are putting up some strong results especially in terms of how prospects have fared there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

We've had many, many guys at Norfolk struggle over the years and it has been blamed on the ballpark.  The way RM, Sisco and DJ are hitting this year, they are putting up some strong results especially in terms of how prospects have fared there.

Different ball this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buck made it a point in Spring Training last year when Mountcastle was working out with the Orioles team that would eventually come North from Sarasota that he didn't draw enough walks and pointed out just how dramatic that stat was. I believe he had like 20 walks in 400 AB's in 2018. When Buck referenced the low walk totals, it was like saying you have to do more than just swing hard to make it up here..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 21xxxv said:

Buck made it a point in Spring Training last year when Mountcastle was working out with the Orioles team that would eventually come North from Sarasota that he didn't draw enough walks and pointed out just how dramatic that stat was. I believe he had like 20 walks in 400 AB's in 2018. When Buck referenced the low walk totals, it was like saying you have to do more than just swing hard to make it up here..

And yet Buck had a whole team that didn't walk and only felt a need to call out the kid in the minors.

Good old easy target Buck.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And yet Buck had a whole team that didn't walk and only felt a need to call out the kid in the minors.

Good old easy target Buck.

No easy target. Just a fact that a power hitter should draw more walks if he wants to ascend faster in the organization. I think he will as he matures as a player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything’s relative.   Mountcastle improved his walk rate from 3.2% in 2017 to 6.1% in 2018, so I’d say he reacted well to Buck’s feedback.   He’s backtracked to 4.0% this year, but at the same time he’s hitting well.     It’s definitely an area he should continue to work on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elias was asked about Mountcastle today and said he viewed his timetable as different than Stewart’s and Sisco’s.   Elias said Mountcastle has a lot of work to do on defense at both 3B and 1B, and Elias also wants to see how he adjusts to pitchers (and they to him) the 2nd and 3rd time through the league.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frobby said:

Elias was asked about Mountcastle today and said he viewed his timetable as different than Stewart’s and Sisco’s.   Elias said Mountcastle has a lot of work to do on defense at both 3B and 1B, and Elias also wants to see how he adjusts to pitchers (and they to him) the 2nd and 3rd time through the league.   

May want to see how he adjusts to keeping his mlb clock stalled. 

Mountcastle, Hall & Songbird in the minors until we are contenders, imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

May want to see how he adjusts to keeping his mlb clock stalled. 

Mountcastle, Hall & Songbird in the minors until we are contenders, imho.

Can't keep them there for 14 years.  They got rules against that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we're contenders in 2020, but it doesn't look good. I expect Mountcastle will be in Baltimore by May, if not before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Elias was asked about Mountcastle today and said he viewed his timetable as different than Stewart’s and Sisco’s.   Elias said Mountcastle has a lot of work to do on defense at both 3B and 1B, and Elias also wants to see how he adjusts to pitchers (and they to him) the 2nd and 3rd time through the league.   

Hard to work on defense at 3B when you don't get any playing time there.  He's played five games at 3B for the Tides.  I think they are viewing him as a 1B now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Hard to work on defense at 3B when you don't get any playing time there.  He's played five games at 3B for the Tides.  I think they are viewing him as a 1B now.  

Sucks. Really wanted them to move him to 2B due to the amount of guys we have at 1B. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...