JohnD

MASN dispute update

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The money has been put aside pending the appeals.

True, but MASN’s maintenance of the money and the clerk’s interest determination are two different things.

1 hour ago, Beetlejuice said:

True, but MASN’s maintenance of the money and the clerk’s interest determination are two different things.

I'm just guessing here but if the O's were not able to invest the money I don't see why interest would be an issue.

Edit- Oh interest has to be paid from April 15th on.  That won't be much at all in the grand scheme of things.

1 hour ago, Beetlejuice said:

Probably more lawsuits. 

This one isn’t over.    There are two possible levels of appeal.    It could take 1-2 years before this case is truly finished.    

Just now, Frobby said:

This one isn’t over.    There are two possible levels of appeal.    It could take 1-2 years before this case is truly finished.    

Help me out here Frobby.  I've lost track.  What is the current payment that the O's have to make and is it different from the original ruling?

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Help me out here Frobby.  I've lost track.  What is the current payment that the O's have to make and is it different from the original ruling?

Very moderately different.   The five year total is very close but the growth rate is slower, so that future awards if they apply the same logic should be less than they would have been under the prior rationale.   I think the awards went from about $55 mm to $65 mm over the 5 years covered by the ruling, with a total of $296 mm for the 5 years.   

• Thanks 2

Maybe we could just send them Chris Davis???  His present value would cover the interest and a little more.  Just put him in a box, tape it up, and send it to Nationals Park certified mail.  Problems solved.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Maybe we could just send them Chris Davis???  His present value would cover the interest and a little more.  Just put him in a box, tape it up, and send it to Nationals Park certified mail.  Problems solved.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2019 at 10:03 PM, Frobby said:

At this point, this is throwing good money after bad.  Any appeal is almost certain to be doomed.  What error has the court committed to warrant review?  Angelos just lived through one of his biggest fears.  The Nats winning a World Series.

On 11/16/2019 at 10:03 PM, Frobby said:

What does truly finished mean?  Didn't this start as part of the negotiations for the 2012-16 rights fees?  What happens for 2017-21?  The next 5 years beyond that?  Do the lawsuits never end?

32 minutes ago, Beetlejuice said:

At this point, this is throwing good money after bad.  Any appeal is almost certain to be doomed.  What error has the court committed to warrant review?  Angelos just lived through one of his biggest fears.  The Nats winning a World Series.

I agree their chances are grim.  I believe in the last round of appeals, the NY Court of Appeals (highest court in NY) refused to hear the question of whether the case was properly remanded to the RSDC instead of an unaffiliated arbitrator, on the grounds that they would only consider it after there was a “final” ruling by the lower courts on all issues.   The intermediate court had split 3-2 on that issue, so I suppose there’s some hope there.   

34 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

What does truly finished mean?  Didn't this start as part of the negotiations for the 2012-16 rights fees?  What happens for 2017-21?  The next 5 years beyond that?  Do the lawsuits never end?

Hard to say, because the O’s and Nats may not do what rational business people would do.    But in my opinion, the rationale of the RSDC is pretty clear, and if it is affirmed by the courts, it is pretty straightforward to apply that same rationale to future periods, making the necessary adjustments based on MASN’s revenues and expenses at the time.     The difference between the highest and lowest possible amount based on that reasoning won’t be that drastic, and reasonable people would just compromise in the middle somewhere and move on with life.     But this is a blood feud, so who knows.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I agree their chances are grim.  I believe in the last round of appeals, the NY Court of Appeals (highest court in NY) refused to hear the question of whether the case was properly remanded to the RSDC instead of an unaffiliated arbitrator, on the grounds that they would only consider it after there was a “final” ruling by the lower courts on all issues.   The intermediate court had split 3-2 on that issue, so I suppose there’s some hope there.   

Correct me if I’m wrong.  INAL, but am married to one and the way she’s explained it to me appeals aren’t an opportunity to relitigate a case, but only to review the lower court’s decision to see if they made an error in applying the law.  IIRC the O’s/MASN strategy in the latest decision was to hammer on the evident partiality angle, particularly the $25M loan and Manfred’s public statements.  The judge wasn't even remotely convinced. 

9 minutes ago, Beetlejuice said:

Correct me if I’m wrong.  INAL, but am married to one and the way she’s explained it to me appeals aren’t an opportunity to relitigate a case, but only to review the lower court’s decision to see if they made an error in applying the law.  IIRC the O’s/MASN strategy in the latest decision was to hammer on the evident partiality angle, particularly the $25M loan and Manfred’s public statements.  The judge wasn't even remotely convinced. 

INAL is a thing?

You are basically right.    The standard for overturning a factual determination is very high.