Luke-OH

Mike Baumann 2019

Comments from another team’s scout interviewed by Melewski:

“I was a bit lower on him than some in our organization. We saw him up to 97 (mph) with that riding life and hop that teams are looking for now - that four-seam, up-in-the-zone action. He has the ability to pitch with that and gets swinging strikes up in the zone. The Astros really emphasize that and I’m sure the Orioles will do the same. His fastball was a real plus pitch with some natural cut to it. It might be a 70 (on the 20-80 scout scale). It’s really tough to hit thrown hard with life. Curveball has some depth. I didn’t love it when I saw him. His slider is solid, kind of cuttery.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/a-scouts-take-on-some-orioles-prospects.html

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Comments from another team’s scout interviewed by Melewski:

“I was a bit lower on him than some in our organization. We saw him up to 97 (mph) with that riding life and hop that teams are looking for now - that four-seam, up-in-the-zone action. He has the ability to pitch with that and gets swinging strikes up in the zone. The Astros really emphasize that and I’m sure the Orioles will do the same. His fastball was a real plus pitch with some natural cut to it. It might be a 70 (on the 20-80 scout scale). It’s really tough to hit thrown hard with life. Curveball has some depth. I didn’t love it when I saw him. His slider is solid, kind of cuttery.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/a-scouts-take-on-some-orioles-prospects.html

Thanks for this tidbit. Seems like this guy, without saying as much, sees Baumann in more of a high leverage relief role with that fastball. I’m ok with that if it’s the outcome. 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Its an interesting list but I wonder how many were developed well under Duquette.  The knock on Dan is not the drafting but the development.   Mancini developed under Dan.  Brady gets some credit for working with Trey.  Hader was traded early so not developed with the O's.  Guasman may have been rushed.  Could have been better than he was with the O's. Means wasn't much of a prospect under Dan.  It was Holt that helped him with the change which helped him have a good year in 2019.  They say you can't mess up the good ones but Dan certainly tried. Keeping Mouncastle at SS/3B for too long.    Scott is coming around under Elias' team. I like Dan and love the team he built in a short time after he joined the O's.  But player development of minor leaguers was not his strong suit.   He had a knack for acquiring players at the major league level and making a team into a winner.  And that is not a bad thing.
    • We drafted Donnie Hart? I thought we got him from Ny. Meanwhile, quite a trip down memory lane. Yes, overall not a bad job. Meanwhile, it’s also worth mentioning that Buck/ Dan didn’t consider Yaz worth even a cup of coffee on one of history’s worst teams, and he now has the leading WAR on the Giants, and Walker  was a gift for the D-Backs. That’s ok, though. It will be interesting to see what the others add to the list.
    • Of course they were about money, but that was slightly different. Matusz and Webb were,“Give us a token non-prospect and we’ll give you a draft pick...oh, and a declining player with a small salary, whom you can release the next day.” I think the Webb pick was somewhere in the 70s, but the Matusz pick was ~20 picks sooner. I don’t remember Dans exact comments about the value of the picks, but they were dismissive. At a time when we’d lost several picks because of signing QA guys, those picks had value.
    • Here’s who has made the majors from Duquette’s drafts so far (each year in descending WAR order): 2012: Gausman, Hader, Walker, Kline,  (20.9 WAR) 2013: Mancini, Yaz, D. Hart, Brault, Crichton, Wynns, Harvey, Sisco, Yacabonis, Heim, Tarpley (17.2 WAR) 2014: Means, Scott, Hess, Wilkerson (5.1 WAR) 2015: Stewart, Mountcastle, Meisinger, Mullins (1.3 WAR) 2016: Akin, Hays (0.5 WAR) 2017-18 nobody yet Obviously the later the year, the more incomplete the picture.  But that’s 25 players who’ve produced 45.2 WAR so far. In that same time span: TOR 30 players, 40.1 WAR TBR 29 players, 10.9 WAR NYY 33 players, 22.8 WAR BOS 36 players, 12.4 WAR Not bad by Duq I’d say.     
    • Command and Control are related and overlap, but are different things. If you can throw a breaking pitch for a strike and not walk someone, that is good 'control'. If you leave it belt high in the middle of the plate, jolly good for your control, but not being able to command it in / out / up / down can get you crushed in the big leagues. Cabrera, D. had NEITHER. I did not comment on Zimm's control, but his command, which looked sharp to the first batter, but hell, he's a rookie making his first start. It's not even a very small sample size. The stuff looked good enough.
    • o   You're an Orioles Hangout workhorse, Mr. Boemmel ........ no need for apologies.   o
    • Probably not, but Gregg Jeffries got a few votes that year he appeared in 29 games.  I suppose technically you could be ROY twice.  Or five times if each of your first four seasons involved homering in all 20 at bats you got...  In other sports, namely English Premier League Soccer, their version of the ROY is called the Young Player of the Year and I count at least four players who've won it twice.  Framing it that way fixes some of the issues with (for example) foreign players who are 30-year-old MLB rookies with six or eight high level seasons under their belt winning the award, but perhaps creates other problems.
  • Popular Contributors