LookinUp

Blaine Knight 2019

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I think he might stink

He doesn't stink, if he stays healthy I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the show at some point. But people got way overheated on Delmarva performance for a polished college pitcher. 

18 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

90-94 and straight isn't an average MLB fastball anymore, think Bundy's but missing less bats. He's a pitcher, he's a fierce competitor and has good feel for working hitters, but it's not anything more than average command at best. The fastball gets whacked, it did in the SEC and it will in pro ball. He's got 4 or 5 pitches, but I don't know if he's the kind of strikethrower with those pitches to live off of pitching backwards. 

OK. Now I will be a smartass.  I'm thinking Bundy would dominate the Carolina League with his current stuff.  

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

OK. Now I will be a smartass.  I'm thinking Bundy would dominate the Carolina League with his current stuff.  

Yeah, his secondary stuff is better than Knight's. And his fastball spin rate makes it better at missing bats than Knight's.

• Like 1

Very disappointing tonight. 3.1 innings, 6 hits and 5 walks, ugh! Looks like he should have spent more time in Delmarva. Starting to remind me of Dietz. Hope he can turn it around; still has time...

He’s not Dietz. I just hope he’s not injured. He’s better than this. He didn’t jump from Delmarva to the World Series against the Dodgers.

9 hours ago, linedrive said:

Very disappointing tonight. 3.1 innings, 6 hits and 5 walks, ugh! Looks like he should have spent more time in Delmarva. Starting to remind me of Dietz. Hope he can turn it around; still has time...

The guy had a sub 1 ERA with a 8:1 strikeout to walk ratio in Delmarva. Knight was completely dominant at that level. I concur with the others that he's either hurt or going through a dead arm period right now. A player doesn't have his strikeout rate drop from 11.1 SO/9 to 5.0 SO/9 just by jumping up a level. Something's going on with him that we don't know about yet.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, linedrive said:

I don’t agree that he should have spent more time at Delmarva.    He’s obviously struggling at A+ Right now, but he was toying with low A hitters.    

Anyway, he had a 3.76 ERA after 5 starts in A+.    It’s only been his last two starts that he really got rocked.   You have to wonder if something’s bothering him.  

• Upvote 2

Yes, and I'm a little worried about him. He looked like a great pick, got off to a hot start, and now... an injury? I'm hoping it's just a blip or a hiccup, and not something more serious.

On 6/29/2019 at 11:53 PM, linedrive said:

Much better outing tonight. 5 innings, 3 hits allowed, and only 1 earned run. But the 4 walks are still a concern.

I was with my father, brother, and nephew Saturday and saw Knight pitch.  We all thought he looked far from a quality prospect, but understood it was just one game. I was pleased that we drafted him, as he was a quality college starter in a great conference.  I hope he'll finish the rest of the year strong.

I watched his start the other night and then went back and watched a start he dominated in at Delmarva earlier in the year.

The only difference I can really tell was his curveball was sharper in the Delmarva outing, but his below average fastball command, below average stuff overall really was disappointing.

Now I didn't get many velocity readings from the telecasts, but the announcer did say Knight hit 94 on one his fastballs in the 4th or 5th inning. Despite the velocity, he seems to get barreled too much though he did get some strike outs up in the zone with the pitch. Overall he lacks command of the fastball and throws too many noncompetitive pitches. There's also not a ton of movement on the fastball though I did see some run occasionally.

His slider flashed average when he kept it down and away but he liked to throw some get me over ones in the middle of the plate too often for my liking. Overall I didn't feel like he commanded the pitch well enough and threw too many noncompetitive sliders way outside.

The curveball was better early on but really wasn't very good at all in his start the other night at Frederick. He'd throw one good one to 3 bad ones that just tumbled up there or lacked bite.

I honestly didn't see many changeups at all and din't get a read on the pitch, but the fact that he wasn't throwing them against lefties suggests it's not a competitive pitch for him at this point. 

To be quite honest, in the two looks I saw, I came away less than impressed. If i had to grade him based off those views, I'd probably but a 25 current grade with a 45 ceiling on him. I do think there is more velocity in there though and would like to see what he looked like as a 1-2 inning reliever at some point though I wouldn't take him out of the rotation this season.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I watched his start the other night and then went back and watched a start he dominated in at Delmarva earlier in the year.

The only difference I can really tell was his curveball was sharper in the Delmarva outing, but his below average fastball command, below average stuff overall really was disappointing.

Now I didn't get many velocity readings from the telecasts, but the announcer did say Knight hit 94 on one his fastballs in the 4th or 5th inning. Despite the velocity, he seems to get barreled too much though he did get some strike outs up in the zone with the pitch. Overall he lacks command of the fastball and throws too many noncompetitive pitches. There's also not a ton of movement on the fastball though I did see some run occasionally.

His slider flashed average when he kept it down and away but he liked to throw some get me over ones in the middle of the plate too often for my liking. Overall I didn't feel like he commanded the pitch well enough and threw too many noncompetitive sliders way outside.

The curveball was better early on but really wasn't very good at all in his start the other night at Frederick. He'd throw one good one to 3 bad ones that just tumbled up there or lacked bite.

I honestly didn't see many changeups at all and din't get a read on the pitch, but the fact that he wasn't throwing them against lefties suggests it's not a competitive pitch for him at this point. 

To be quite honest, in the two looks I saw, I came away less than impressed. If i had to grade him based off those views, I'd probably but a 25 current grade with a 45 ceiling on him. I do think there is more velocity in there though and would like to see what he looked like as a 1-2 inning reliever at some point though I wouldn't take him out of the rotation this season.

Good post. My father, brother and nephew were as unimpressed as I was with him during his June 29th start in Frederick. BTW, the radar gun in Frederick was not working at all, so I called the Keys office and was informed that it hasn't been working all season. When I asked why the woman said the city never fixed it and it's their responsibility, not the Keys. It certainly seems like someone should get on the ball and remedy this. Having a radar reading makes games more enjoyable to me.

Am I still waiting for my fifth cup of coffee to kick in, or is it really the case that Cam Bishop, Matthias Dietz and Blaine Knight, in a combined 24 decisions for Frederick so far, have 1 win?

• Haha 1