Jump to content
Frobby

DJ Stewart 2019

Recommended Posts

The Orioles are starting a utility infielder in the outfield field who’s plummeting at the plate. Stewart should be in right field now. The situation is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Maybe they really are going to play a service time game with Stewart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris Davis.  At this point CD is blocking DJ.  Mancini to 1B, Núñez DH Stewart to RF,  Stevie W can back up all OF and INF.    Or you go to a four man bench and send down a pitcher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Orioles are starting a utility infielder in the outfield field who’s plummeting at the plate. Stewart should be in right field now. The situation is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Maybe they really are going to play a service time game with Stewart. 

Wilkerson has been playing in CF though and we know Stewart is not a center fielder. The odd man out should be Ruiz. He should be DFA'd, move Nunez to 3B, and have Mancini be the everyday DH. That'll open up room for Stewart to be on the roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Wilkerson has been playing in CF though and we know Stewart is not a center fielder. The odd man out should be Ruiz. He should be DFA'd, move Nunez to 3B, and have Mancini be the everyday DH. That'll open up room for Stewart to be on the roster. 

What’s the argument that Nunez > Ruiz because I don’t see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pat Kelly said:

Chris Davis.  At this point CD is blocking DJ.  Mancini to 1B, Núñez DH Stewart to RF,  Stevie W can back up all OF and INF.    Or you go to a four man bench and send down a pitcher. 

Davis is for sure clogging the roster - I’m afraid of what a healthy Trumbo will do if that ever happens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheOtherRipken said:

What’s the argument that Nunez > Ruiz because I don’t see it.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but the argument is that Nunez can hit the ball really hard, Ruiz can't. Ruiz is a better defender clearly. Neither are long term pieces IMO, but it's a reasonable argument that Nunez has a greater (still not very likely) chance of having some longer term value. It all depends on if you think there is a better chance of Ruiz hitting the ball harder than he's hit it so far in his career or if you think Nunez can either improve his defense at 3B or improve his approach enough to have value at a less defensively valuable position. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Frobby said:

Higher OBP, definitely.   Superior defense - probably, but I haven’t seen enough of him out there to really know what I think.   I do know that Smith is below average so it wouldn’t take much to be superior to him.  

Just this past summer, our in-house experts ranked Stewart the 24th best prospect in a farm system that is in the bottom third of the league. He was rated 45 FV. I've been thrilled with Stewart's season so far, but a combination of offensive production being up across AAA and his age, I'm skeptical of his upside. Dwight Smith is on pace to finish the season in the range of 2 WAR unless he explodes or falls off the cliff.

Guess it's a question for Luke - Has anything Stewart's done this season adjusted his 45 FV rating? We can dream of Max Muncy, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I would love to be proven wrong. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WalkWithElias said:

Just this past summer, our in-house experts ranked Stewart the 24th best prospect in a farm system that is in the bottom third of the league. He was rated 45 FV. I've been thrilled with Stewart's season so far, but a combination of offensive production being up across AAA and his age, I'm skeptical of his upside. Dwight Smith is on pace to finish the season in the range of 2 WAR unless he explodes or falls off the cliff.

Guess it's a question for Luke - Has anything Stewart's done this season adjusted his 45 FV rating? We can dream of Max Muncy, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I would love to be proven wrong. 

The OH list is weighted in favor of ceiling.  A high floor, low ceiling player like Stewart isn't going to grade well.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Stewart is likely to become a star.  Just that he deserves promotion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ballmer Bruce said:

He should absolutely be up by July 1 unless he tanks in June. He has paid his dues and deserves a shot with a team that is going to lose 100+ games. 

Why July first?

What changes on July first that makes that the date?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The OH list is weighted in favor of ceiling.  A high floor, low ceiling player like Stewart isn't going to grade well.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Stewart is likely to become a star.  Just that he deserves promotion.

No question that he should be up right now. I want to see what he can do for a sustained time in the bigs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WalkWithElias said:

No question that he should be up right now. I want to see what he can do for a sustained time in the bigs. 

I figure he's a 1-2.5 win guy.  Useful enough as long as he isn't expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Orioles are starting a utility infielder in the outfield field who’s plummeting at the plate. Stewart should be in right field now. The situation is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Maybe they really are going to play a service time game with Stewart. 

They aren't playing service games with a 25 year old outfielder who isn't even among the top three outfield prospects in the system. 

I think they like Wilkerson because of his speed in the outfield and Alberto has kind of been hitting, at least against lefties.  Along with a Davis DFA, one of those two could be sent down to make room for DJ.  

I expect to it to happen soon though.  I would personally keep Wilkerson as the utility IF and DFA Alberto.  DFA'ing Davis is certainly the best option I just don't see it happening yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

They aren't playing service games with a 25 year old outfielder who isn't even among the top three outfield prospects in the system. 

Some folks seem to think that every player should have their service time gamed.  Even if it's the type of player you non-tender when they hit arb 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...