jamalshw

Blake Swihart an option?

It looks like the Sox just DFA'ed Swihart. He hasn't established himself at the Major League level and is starting to get to the point he needs to put up or shut up, but he had a monster spring and hasn't been terrible at the dish this year (albeit SSS). He's a former top prospect that I think could be worth a look given we're not going anywhere this year.

Does Swihart have any value? For those in the know, what do you think?

I don't think he's a particularly good catcher even though he has some versatility because he can play other positions. I'm not sure he hits enough to justify taking a roster spot though. Imo, his ceiling is an average mlb player.

5 minutes ago, nate22 said:

I don't think he's a particularly good catcher even though he has some versatility because he can play other positions. I'm not sure he hits enough to justify taking a roster spot though. Imo, his ceiling is an average mlb player.

We have two defense first catchers now. I think he could be a reasonable experiment to give him a chance to hit. I think the Sox just don’t have that luxury now as they’re trying to continue to contend right now. 

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

We have two defense first catchers now. I think he could be a reasonable experiment to give him a chance to hit. I think the Sox just don’t have that luxury now as they’re trying to continue to contend right now. 

Who would you drop, Alberto? I wouldn't.

Orioles have first dibs on him and I'm interested. Not a good catcher, but he can be a super-utility guy. See if he can figure out how to hit here. He was a Top 25 prospect at one point I believe.

1 minute ago, luismatos4prez said:

Orioles have first dibs on him and I'm interested. Not a good catcher, but he can be a super-utility guy. See if he can figure out how to hit here. He was a Top 25 prospect at one point I believe.

https://www.mlb.com/news/catcher-blake-swihart-leads-five-red-sox-prospects-in-top-100/c-107841818

“Catcher Blake Swihart, who continues to impress with his consistent approach at the plate and his skills on the defensive side, is ranked No. 18. Though he didn't become a regular catcher until 2010, Swihart is now the game's top prospect at the position, reminding many of a young Buster Posey. He threw out 46 percent of potential basestealers in 2014 and didn't commit a passed ball in 97 games.”

1 minute ago, luismatos4prez said:

Orioles don't have first dibs. It is based on current record in the same league  since the season started. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Orioles don't have first dibs. It is based on current record in the same league  since the season started. 

Yep, the Yankees are probably going to snap him up first!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I think there's a grace period when the league starts. A team that wins the WS doesn't get first pick just because they start 0-2. The Orioles are still first for the first few weeks. Not sure when that ends.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

No, that is only true 31 days after the season starts. Prior to that, it is based on the previous season's record. 

Not sure whether the Japan games start the 30 day clock or not, but either way, the Orioles still are first in waiver priority.

That said, I expect that someone will offer a trade and Swihart will not reach waivers.

• Upvote 2

I just saw this. I would definitely snap him up. Would think he would be an upgrade to Severino. Hope would be change of scenery helps Swihart and Severino clears waiver and we keep him in the system.