jamalshw

Blake Swihart an option?

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Whatever.    We’ll just be rearranging the deck chairs while waiting to draft Rutschmann.

This. 

I never liked his game behind the plate anyway. 

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Renato Nunez should be a lesson here.  If you have a chance to pick up a former top prospect you should do that and figure out everything else from there.

Swihart has underwhelming major and minor league statistics. It’s a no for me.

7 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Renato Nunez should be a lesson here.  If you have a chance to pick up a former top prospect you should do that and figure out everything else from there.

Nunez has been all power, no glove. The "fix" has been to DH him...

2 minutes ago, oriolesacox said:

In an admittedly throw away year, I don’t see how it could hurt to give him a chance...

Not enough upside from a 27 year old former prospect making $900K+ who is arbitration eligible next season and hasn't hit in the minors since 2015

I'd pass.  He hasn't had a good offensive season since 2014 in AA.  From what I have read he is not a good defensive catcher.  I don't see the upside.   Elias likes to see guys develop in the minors.   He was never good at AAA and he is 27.   

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Orioles don't have first dibs. It is based on current record in the same league  since the season started. 

Are you sure? I thought the waiver position was determined by last season’s record throughout the year. Does it reset on a game by game basis?

7 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Not enough upside from a 27 year old former prospect making $900K+ who is arbitration eligible next season and hasn't hit in the minors since 2015

I hear ya, just intrigued by him.. Like the defensive versatility and at points shown signs of being able to hit.. Won’t be hurt either way

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if there’s ever been a study done of whether NY/BOS prospects are systematically overrated by the various publications that do top 100 ratings.    Personally I tend to doubt it.   Take Mookie Betts - probably a top 10 player in MLB but ranked 75/62/— by BA, MLB.com and BP.     Or Aaron Judge, highest rankings 53/31/18. I’m sure some of their prospects are overrated, but I doubt there’s a demonstrable pattern.   

Similar to the oft-stated but unfounded claim that a player would be a Hall of Famer if he played for the Yankees despite the lack of support for guys like Bernie Williams and Don Mattingly, I agree that there is likely not a demonstrable pattern.

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

Are you sure? I thought the waiver position was determined by last season’s record throughout the year. Does it reset on a game by game basis?

As discussed above, it resets to a game-by-game basis after the 30th day of the season.

Has he struggled with injuries? GP by year (all levels).

2015 - 106

2016 - 48

2017 - 68 (plus 9 in the Dominican Winter League)

2018 - 83 

2019 - 12 (so far)

OPS by year:

2015 - .738 (minors), ,712 majors

2016 - .655 (minors), .720 majors

2017 - .545 (minors), .629 majors

2018 - .613 majors

2019 - .695 majors

Honestly, I don't see a ton above a .700-.750 OPS catcher based on stats. Injuries could affect that. But he's gotta be a better bet to be a long-term piece that Severino or Sucre. Best case, he's a piece, and that's more valuable. I'd keep one of Sucre/Severino, try to develop Swihart, and see where it goes. Worst case we go back to Severino and Sucre in 2 months. Again, best case, we develop a .700-.800 OPS catcher who has a decent bit of trade value in the next year or two. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Nunez has been all power, no glove. The "fix" has been to DH him...

1.  He has never carried a great glove, that does mean he is devoid of value.

2.  He has been injured.

3.  Why start him at third if you have a better option defensively, isnt this what we got on Showalter for?

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Swihart has underwhelming major and minor league statistics. It’s a no for me.

I honestly want to know what you think are acceptable stats for a catcher at AAA if you think his minor league stats are underwhelming.  Teams are not made of 25 all stars.

Let's also remember that Swihart was really injured in 2017.  Athletes dont generally offer up lines like "it was hard to walk at times" if they arent super injured.

• Thanks 1