Jump to content
bird watcher

The Suck is in full swing now

Recommended Posts

Season ends today; we draft 3rd. Any advantage we gained from having unknown pitchers/hitters is gone. All our players have a book out now and their flaws are showing.

Not a big surprise here but any illusion of competitiveness is gone with the wind.  

Let the race to the bottom begin. When does the mlb app start showing wildcard standings?  It makes it easier to track the 1 draft pick race.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4-13 in our last 17 games.    I can’t even believe how bad the pitching is on this team.   The cavalry isn’t coming, so the guys who are here had better pull themselves together.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

4-13 in our last 17 games.    I can’t even believe how bad the pitching is on this team.   The cavalry isn’t coming, so the guys who are here had better pull themselves together.   

Their resumes aren't exactly awe inspiring. They are what they are. I expect things to get worse before they get better....if that's possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

4-13 in our last 17 games.    I can’t even believe how bad the pitching is on this team.   The cavalry isn’t coming, so the guys who are here had better pull themselves together.   

Bundy is the only one that really gets me down. Maybe Cobb a little too, but Bundy was supposed to be an Orioles ace. He’d have at the very least been relegated to the bullpen on any other team.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m now more “hopeful” that the Orioles are going to get a top draft pick. The losing crushes a little part of my soul each game, but I would like Orioles to get a great draft pick in 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I’m now more “hopeful” that the Orioles are going to get a top draft pick. The losing crushes a little part of my soul each game, but I would like Orioles to get a great draft pick in 2020. 

This is where I’m at. I know we suck. I knew it coming in. This year is about imagining where we can go and cheap tickets. Let’s get those top picks, let’s expand into the international market, let’s see where we stand in 3 years. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, oriole said:

Bundy is the only one that really gets me down. Maybe Cobb a little too, but Bundy was supposed to be an Orioles ace. He’d have at the very least been relegated to the bullpen on any other team.

Cobb at least has an excuse.    

At the same time, I haven’t given up on Bundy.    I could see him pulling it together.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I had a different perspective entering this season.  I have been enjoying the effort and attitude of our guys.  The cheering on the dugout after the Davis hit - that was the entire roster showing respect for Davis - loved it.  Actually, one of my favorite Os moments ever.  The entire MLB team is pulling in the same direction as is the entire organization.  These guys are playing the right way and are only getting beaten on talent.  And we will see that talent gap close each year - including this one when Mountcastle and Hays and others get to Bmore.

There is a ways to go on the pitching side.  It should make folks realize the big deal it was for the prior management to find a Miguel Gonzalez and claim a league average starting pitcher for nothing out of nowhere.  Just as we picked up Guthrie and Rodrigo Lopez before that.  

Yes, a proper rebuild involves some suckitude, but let's enjoy the process and not miss how a good front office builds a competitive major league team with a quality minor league talent base from the ground up brick by brick.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our schedule is brutal. The only bad teams we played (Toronto, Boston) we won the series/split. This team isn't good but we haven't gotten a break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Cobb at least has an excuse.    

At the same time, I haven’t given up on Bundy.    I could see him pulling it together.   

Only if we trade him to the Cubs with Mike Wright for Darvish. Wright becomes Strop.Bundy becomes Arrieta. Elias get her done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oriole said:

Bundy is the only one that really gets me down. Maybe Cobb a little too, but Bundy was supposed to be an Orioles ace. He’d have at the very least been relegated to the bullpen on any other team.

Most of the pitchers get me down, mainly because a good deal of them are supposed to be established major league pitchers - i.e. they don't apply to the whole "bad because the team is rebuilding" thing. It's freakin' ridiculous just how freakin' terrible they've been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I guess I had a different perspective entering this season.  I have been enjoying the effort and attitude of our guys.  The cheering on the dugout after the Davis hit - that was the entire roster showing respect for Davis - loved it.  Actually, one of my favorite Os moments ever.  The entire MLB team is pulling in the same direction as is the entire organization.  These guys are playing the right way and are only getting beaten on talent.  And we will see that talent gap close each year - including this one when Mountcastle and Hays and others get to Bmore.

There is a ways to go on the pitching side.  It should make folks realize the big deal it was for the prior management to find a Miguel Gonzalez and claim a league average starting pitcher for nothing out of nowhere.  Just as we picked up Guthrie and Rodrigo Lopez before that.  

Yes, a proper rebuild involves some suckitude, but let's enjoy the process and not miss how a good front office builds a competitive major league team with a quality minor league talent base from the ground up brick by brick.

I am with you.  The 4-13 speaks for iiself but I can see this team getting better.   

Cobb can be the starter he was in the 2nd half last year.   Cashner is 3-0 with a 3.38 ERA in April.  I like what I have seen for Means.  That improved changeup could mean something.   Straily looks like he knows how to pitch.   He was 14-8 with a 3.76 in at hitter park in Cincy.

There are some good arms in the pen. Givens, Fry, Phillips,  Scott.   And come good potential middle to long men in Yac and Ramirez.  Bleier and Karns are on the mend. 

The defense is generally pretty good and the hitting has been surprising.  Maybe it is the ball.   I am looking forward to seeing Hays in the outfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am with you.  The 4-13 speaks for iiself but I can see this team getting better.   

Cobb can be the starter he was in the 2nd half last year.   Cashner is 3-0 with a 3.38 ERA in April.  I like what I have seen for Means.  That improved changeup could mean something.   Straily looks like he knows how to pitch.   He was 14-8 with a 3.76 in at hitter park in Cincy.

There are some good arms in the pen. Givens, Fry, Phillips,  Scott.   And come good potential middle to long men in Yac and Ramirez.  Bleier and Karns are on the mend. 

The defense is generally pretty good and the hitting has been surprising.  Maybe it is the ball.   I am looking forward to seeing Hays in the outfield.

Agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This doesn't bother me any more than the Tides or Baysox or Keys losing. Those teams are about developing a few players (hopefully) into major leaguers and, at this point, the Orioles are too. So if they can come up with a few young players who can contribute in the future the season is a success regardless of the win/loss record. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bird watcher said:

Season ends today; we draft 3rd. Any advantage we gained from having unknown pitchers/hitters is gone. All our players have a book out now and their flaws are showing.

Not a big surprise here but any illusion of competitiveness is gone with the wind.  

Let the race to the bottom begin. When does the mlb app start showing wildcard standings?  It makes it easier to track the 1 draft pick race.

 

There never was any "illusion of competitiveness" for the 2019 Orioles. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Imagine the possibilities if Macphail was allowed to trade draft picks. I hope that’s in the new CBA. 
    • I saw these lists on MLBTR and thought I hope @Luke-OH has some info on these guys. Thanks.   
    • Hopefully the Astros are forced to fire this guy and he can quietly take a role with us. 
    • I think it’s more of the “I’ll believe it when I see it” mentality.  Right now we have $2.5 million just chilling. Ready for us to spend it.  This is how you prevent 14 straight years of losing. Our last winning year was 2016. I don’t think we sniff winning till 2023 with the state of our pitching staff. That’s 7 years and half way there.  We spent our full draft pull money this year. Seems odd we keep having this international pool money left over. Odd or... maybe some of that old philosophy is still lingering. 
    • I haven't looked at the position players, but there are a number of pitchers on that list who are interesting.  From a simple performance based analysis, Juan Minaya 29yo with 128 innings of 3.93 ERA ball in the majors. It's nothing exciting, but he's been a solid middle reliever. He's also tinkered with his offspeed/breaking pitches a bit and there may be some potential improvements in pitch mix/selection.  Chasen Shreve 29yo with 203 innings of 3.71 ERA ball in the majors. He was stuck in AAA this year because of the strength of the Cardinals bullpen, where he had a 3.45 ERA, a full 2.4 runs under the league average 5.85 ERA. His FIP numbers aren't good, but he's one of those few guys who consistently beats his FIP numbers.  An interesting spin rate dude, Dan Winkler Of 600 pitchers who threw 50 of more 4S fastballs in 2019, Winkler had the 15th highest RPM/MPH on his fastball. There is evidence that he's not using the pitch as well as he could, locating primarily middle of the zone and down, exactly where a high spin fastball plays poorly. Winkler is also only a year removed from a strong year as an important part of the Braves bullpen. He's only 29 years old.  Finally, a guy who is probably the riskiest of the group, but has serious stuff but has never put it together, Bryan Mitchell He's coming off a lost year, but at his best he averaged almost 95mph as a SP and added a 90mph cutter, and nasty high spin curveball. He should miss bats, but he doesn't. He's also battled some injuries. If he's healthy, he's the type of guy you sell the opportunity of the wide open O's pitching staff and you see if you can't make some tweaks to get him on track. He's 28 years old.         
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...