Jump to content
bird watcher

The Suck is in full swing now

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t even say he’s reeled off a few good starts yet. Just that he’s looking a little better.   

Didn't give up a homer yesterday, I'll take that for starters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Bundy's ceiling has dropped to a mid-rotation guy but he still can be a decent back end starting pitcher.  He is what he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hope @Redskins Rickdoesn't consider this trolling, but I need to see it for a full season, including into next season before thinking anything of Bundy.  We've seen him do this before, reel off a few good starts followed by some disasters.  The one caveat here is the new regime, hopefully they can make a lasting change.  

LOL @ Moose, you know whom the haters are and whom the trolls are, you are neither.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

LOL @ Moose, you know whom the haters are and whom the trolls are, you are neither.

 

I've been called both.  

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've been called both.  

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.  

We all have different opinions on who we see things.

Discussions, which is what OH is supposed to have, has plenty of that.

But these day, we also have way too often, you got the hates, who hate everything.

You got the trolls, that say a buzz one to stir the pot and sit back and laugh their asses off at  us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

We have a new GM, Manager and pitching coach.    If Bundy can be fixed, why can’t this group fix him just as easily as some new team could?

I’m going on record as saying that Bundy will have a decent season.   I’ve seen signs of improvement from him the last 2-3 starts.   He’s probably never going to be the TOR pitcher we hoped he’d be, but IMO he has enough going for him to be a solid major league starter.   

You can say things will be happen with no basis of reality all you want.  But Bundy's shoulder seems to be gone.  Unless they can perform some new surgery that will miraculously fix his shoulder I don't see how they are going to "fix him".  Arrieta had great stuff when we traded him. Best on the team by far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Didn't give up a homer yesterday, I'll take that for starters.

Bundy pitches better in day games for some reason.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elias has done a great job in turning the ship around after an okay start. I honestly think this is definitely top 3 worst teams in baseball and I think there are strong odds we will be the worst again. Keep up the great work(sounds bad, but eye on the prize).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 9:24 AM, Ohfan67 said:

I’m now more “hopeful” that the Orioles are going to get a top draft pick. The losing crushes a little part of my soul each game, but I would like Orioles to get a great draft pick in 2020. 

The problem is, we need about 25 great draft picks, not one. And we need them all in the same year. We can't build a contending team by bringing one player worth the name on their jersey into the organization per year.

We can't do it via trades, because we have NO ONE (except maybe Mancini) that other teams might consider buying. Even if Mancini miraculously yielded us a return like Bedard did, that wouldn't be enough because the absence of support around those 2-3 good players wouldn't make the team good.

We can't do it via raising the players we have in the minors today, because our player development has been proven to be horrific for a very long time. "Grow the arms, buy the bats", "Grow the bats, buy the arms", it doesn't matter -- we get an extremely small percentage of O's farm system players coming up to the big leagues with above-replacement level competency. And those who do find success, either take a long time to get good and then flame out VERY quickly (like Tillman) or have so much seniority and skill, that they're up for free agency quickly and we can't afford them (like Manny, Schoop, Wieters). But the prevailing winds are just that we can't develop players to be competitive unless they have such raw God-given talent that nobody can hold them back from greatness. And those guys end up playing for the Dodgers after long.

Yeah, this is a team without a future. There's absolutely no reason to expect we'll be able to field a .500 team in the next decade or so. Teams have been sold or moved city for less.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

The problem is, we need about 25 great draft picks, not one. And we need them all in the same year. We can't build a contending team by bringing one player worth the name on their jersey into the organization per year.

We can't do it via trades, because we have NO ONE (except maybe Mancini) that other teams might consider buying. Even if Mancini miraculously yielded us a return like Bedard did, that wouldn't be enough because the absence of support around those 2-3 good players wouldn't make the team good.

We can't do it via raising the players we have in the minors today, because our player development has been proven to be horrific for a very long time. "Grow the arms, buy the bats", "Grow the bats, buy the arms", it doesn't matter -- we get an extremely small percentage of O's farm system players coming up to the big leagues with above-replacement level competency. And those who do find success, either take a long time to get good and then flame out VERY quickly (like Tillman) or have so much seniority and skill, that they're up for free agency quickly and we can't afford them (like Manny, Schoop, Wieters). But the prevailing winds are just that we can't develop players to be competitive unless they have such raw God-given talent that nobody can hold them back from greatness. And those guys end up playing for the Dodgers after long.

Yeah, this is a team without a future. There's absolutely no reason to expect we'll be able to field a .500 team in the next decade or so. Teams have been sold or moved city for less.

We Need a new strategy.  Elias completely missed on his first two number one overalls with the Astros. These picks guarantee nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

Elias has done a great job in turning the ship around after an okay start. I honestly think this is definitely top 3 worst teams in baseball and I think there are strong odds we will be the worst again. Keep up the great work(sounds bad, but eye on the prize).

Making lemonade out of lemons,  the BP ERA is 6.55, 29th.  Coming in at #30, the Nats, 7.41.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Making lemonade out of lemons,  the BP ERA is 6.55, 29th.  Coming in at #30, the Nats, 7.41.

They miss Wieters behind the plate.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toronto and Tampa are both developing outstanding cores of young players.  I think they will dominate the division for the next 5-7 years, until those players get too expensive.  So the O's need to position themselves to win in 7 years.  Embrace the suck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Toronto and Tampa are both developing outstanding cores of young players.  I think they will dominate the division for the next 5-7 years, until those players get too expensive.  So the O's need to position themselves to win in 7 years.  Embrace the suck! 

Elias won't be around if it takes that long.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Toronto and Tampa are both developing outstanding cores of young players.  I think they will dominate the division for the next 5-7 years, until those players get too expensive.  So the O's need to position themselves to win in 7 years.  Embrace the suck! 

We should have hired someone from the Ray's.  They know how to rebuild without losing 110 games for 5 straight seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • I think that as always, there are some fans that cross the line.  Hate to see that, because it is totally unnecessary.  At the end of the day, Zack Greinke has overcome a lot to have an excellent career and will very likely go to the Hall of Fame.  I am not sure what those taunting fans will accomplish in their lives, but I am willing to bet it will be much less. 
    • o   Astros Players say that Yankees Fans Crossed a Line with Zack Greinke Heckling (By Deesha Thosar) https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-zack-greinke-roberto-osuna-fans-hecking-houston-astros-alcs-game-4-20191018-kv6qb6s32ngzdmg6tyubdhsd34-story.html   o
    • Encarnacion definitely looks the part, you see him on a good day and I wouldn't blame anyone thinking he's a top 10 prospect in the system. There are a bunch of above average tools and good bat speed. It's the skills part of baseball that is holding him back. His footwork can get wonky at 3B and is the cause of most of his errors, but it is improved and I think he'll be an average glove there eventually. The big issue is a poor approach and terrible pitch recognition. He's a total guess hitter, he can hit spin if he's sitting on it, but it's a total guess style, he doesn't adjust or waste pitches and sometimes he gets caught in between which is even worse. I'm concerned that those are things that don't usually improve out of nowhere. But the ceiling is still average to above average regular, but it's a really low probability outcome and the floor is not making it out of AA.  Carmona looked good at 2B the few games I watched and he still has quick hands and good bat speed, but the swing mechanics are still a mess. He's rarely loaded and ready to attack on time which leads to weak contact and rolling over on pitches frequently. I'm not sure why he played so sparingly, so it's possible an injury hindered his performance. The ceiling isn't quite as high as Encarnacion, but his issues are more fixable IMO.  These guys have pretty serious flaws and neither fits the definition of hitterish, so they'll be a good test of the Orioles new player development machine, it'd be a good sign if they could get one of these two straightened out. 
    • Akin, Hays, and Harvey on OD roster.  Mountcastle after the service clock issues.  Tate as an up/down guy till he pitches well enough to stick. I think that’s it in terms of “prospects”.  Diaz might get a Sept callup but most likely the Mountcastle treatment.  If Akin didn’t get a call up last year then I don’t see any of the SP prospects getting called up either.   No point to rush to start service clocks in a 100 loss season.  
    • @Luke-OH or anyone else, what’s your take on these two guys, 3B Encarnacion(21) .648 OPS in Delmarva https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=encarn000jea SS Jean Carmona(19) .561 OPS in Aberdeen in only 25 games.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=carmon000jea  
    • Zero. Waiver claims if we do. We’re staring at, Means, Bundy, Cobb, Wojo, Akin for next year. With Brooks and Ynoa as depth in the MLB bullpen. We’ll likely see a 14 man pitching staff(if allowed). Also keep in mind that players must be in the minors for 15 days and not 10 once they get optioned. Plus position players can only pitch if their team is losing or winning by 6+ runs.  With all that being said, I think we’re going to see us be forced to carry arms in the pen that can go multiple IP. Basically SP. Especially considering we do not want to touch the prospects in AAA next year at all. See Akin this year.  It would be a little crazy for us to not start the year with Ynoa, Brooks, and two others like them in the bullpen. 
    • The big takeaway for me from this thread is that our window to realistically compete doesn’t start till 2023. We have to pay Davis in 20-22. Cobb in 20-21.  We might give it hell in 2022 with the guys in AA-AAA now, plus AR, Hall, and Rodriguez, but we’re In no position to even sign a FA until then.  I don’t know what type of deals Elias will get offered, but the smart things to do would be to Mancini, Bundy, and Givens. Villar is a given. Then get top draft picks from losing in 20-22.  After the 2022 draft we should be taking the field with a cheap, talented roster, with a farm system ready to sustain a run. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...