Jump to content
weams

It's Time - Mountcastle

Recommended Posts

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Folks seem to think Davis and Mancini are good at first so Mountcastle should be fine.

It's the backup QB mindset.  The 1st stringer sucks so the guy behind him HAS to be better...right?  Right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's the backup QB mindset.  The 1st stringer sucks so the guy behind him HAS to be better...right?  Right?

I mean we don't appear to be good at evaluating defense at first.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There are a few guys.  In the IL,  Austin Riley has a .981 OPS to Mountcastle’s .916.    Over in the PCL there are three 22-year olds with a higher OPS than Mountcastle.   (Hard to compare PCL and IL which is why I mention them separately.)

I think the O’s will be patient here.   He’s learning a new position, we already have a crowd at 1B, and we’re still dealing with a small sample size.     Eventually they will need to find a way to open a slot for him if he continues to take.    For now, just let him keep doing it.

By the way, the IL is averaging 5.31 runs/game, up from 4.16 last season.    So, the way we interpret stats in that league is going to need to change, if that pattern holds.   The PCL is averaging 5.69 per game, up from 4.97.    Using the major league ball seems to be having a pretty dramatic effect!

I stand corrected. I was only looking at the IL as i know the PCL has inflated offensive numbers (especially relative to Norfolk) and I must have missed Riley. Regardless, he's a good prospect so that's great company to be in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

 

So we can regain the fans lost after the Drew Jackson debacle.

They never came back after the Dana Eveland apocalypse.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks seem to think Davis and Mancini are good at first so Mountcastle should be fine.

To my eye, Davis has played very well at 1B this year, with the exception of one dumb play against the White Sox where he fielded a bunt and foolishly looked at 2B before throwing late to 1B.    The advanced metrics are all over the map this year so far.   So, I’ll go with my eye test.    

No reason Mountcastle can’t be a good 1B, but I’d prefer him to get some experience there.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To my eye, Davis has played very well at 1B this year, with the exception of one dumb play against the White Sox where he fielded a bunt and foolishly looked at 2B before throwing late to 1B.    The advanced metrics are all over the map this year so far.   So, I’ll go with my eye test.    

No reason Mountcastle can’t be a good 1B, but I’d prefer him to get some experience there.   

Didn't he take a throw to the chest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I stand corrected. I was only looking at the IL as i know the PCL has inflated offensive numbers (especially relative to Norfolk) and I must have missed Riley. Regardless, he's a good prospect so that's great company to be in.

You’re right.   He’s a consensus top 40 prospect.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't he take a throw to the chest?

I didn’t see it.   But perhaps.  He hasn’t been charged with an error this year, and I’d think he’d have gotten one if that happened.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Also why can’t he take a pitch. Arrgghh

 

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Get it all out now.  Let's already get it started before he comes up.

Not ML-caliber... Saw him swing at a low slider.  Doubt he can hit that pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't he take a throw to the chest?

 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t see it.   But perhaps.  He hasn’t been charged with an error this year, and I’d think he’d have gotten one if that happened.  

That reportedly happened in a spring training game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

By the way, the IL is averaging 5.31 runs/game, up from 4.16 last season.    So, the way we interpret stats in that league is going to need to change, if that pattern holds.   The PCL is averaging 5.69 per game, up from 4.97.    Using the major league ball seems to be having a pretty dramatic effect!

 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Normally a .750 OPS for the Tides is cause for celebration.   The bar definitely has been raised.   Right now .782 is league average (.709 last year) and the Tides are at .766 (.701 last year).   Stewart is still a bit above average at .806; Santander well below average at .700.   

Last time the Tides had a team OPS over .766 was 1999, when they were still a Mets' affiliate:

Year Team Top OPS Name
2019 0.766 0.916   Mountcastle
2018 0.701 0.861   Susac
2017 0.720 0.836   Johnson
2016 0.690 0.797   C. Joseph
2015 0.668 0.830   Parmelee
2014 0.709 0.783   Weeks
2013 0.726 0.939   Ishikawa
2012 0.705 0.939   Ford
2011 0.695 0.842   Fox
2010 0.703 0.821   Moore
2009 0.719 1.228   Reimold
2008 0.709 0.883   Salazar
2007 0.702 0.828   House
2006 0.660 0.840   Bozied
2005 0.755 0.979   Daubach
2004 0.718 1.034   T. Wilson
2003 0.710 0.921   Scutaro
2002 0.719 0.849   Scutaro
2001 0.714 0.979   M. Johnson
2000 0.728 0.909   M. Johnson
1999 0.775 1.139   Agbayani
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

 

Last time the Tides had a team OPS over .766 was 1999, when they were still a Mets' affiliate:

Year Team Top OPS Name
2019 0.766 0.916   Mountcastle
2018 0.701 0.861   Susac
2017 0.720 0.836   Johnson
2016 0.690 0.797   C. Joseph
2015 0.668 0.830   Parmelee
2014 0.709 0.783   Weeks
2013 0.726 0.939   Ishikawa
2012 0.705 0.939   Ford
2011 0.695 0.842   Fox
2010 0.703 0.821   Moore
2009 0.719 1.228   Reimold
2008 0.709 0.883   Salazar
2007 0.702 0.828   House
2006 0.660 0.840   Bozied
2005 0.755 0.979   Daubach
2004 0.718 1.034   T. Wilson
2003 0.710 0.921   Scutaro
2002 0.719 0.849   Scutaro
2001 0.714 0.979   M. Johnson
2000 0.728 0.909   M. Johnson
1999 0.775 1.139   Agbayani

LOL - you just wanted to highlight the "great" J.R. House!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bobmc said:

LOL - you just wanted to highlight the "great" J.R. House!

He shoulda had a career!  He was as good as Delmon Young, didn't have antisocial behavior, and Young got over 4000 PAs in the majors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...