weams

It's Time - Mountcastle

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

After hitting for an OPS of 1.010  at AA/AAA in 2013, Luhnow sent Springer  to AAA for 13 games in 2014 before calling him up. He was ranked as the 37th best prospect in baseball pre 2013 and the 18th best pre 2014 and he did make the majors until the Astros could control for almost 7 years.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Unprecedented as a league-wide strategy, sure, maybe. On the O's? It hasn't even been done yet. No one sent to AAA is crushing it at this point and all the moves look completely justified at this point. Some guys are perhaps deserving of a look pretty soon, like Stewart. Otherwise? Big ol' shrug from me. I'm not that impressed with Mountcastle's numbers other than it being a good indication he's on the right track. Hays is hurt. Diaz is hitting .224 in Bowie. Sisco is utterly lost, again. Santander is not hitting either. 

Scott is already up. Kline is up. Phillips is up. All 3 were cut in ST. 

Kline was up.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

After hitting for an OPS of 1.010  at AA/AAA in 2013, Luhnow sent Springer  to AAA for 13 games in 2014 before calling him up. He was ranked as the 37th best prospect in baseball pre 2013 and the 18th best pre 2014 and he did make the majors until the Astros could control for almost 7 years.

I say again, huh?

What does Springer being down for 13 games have to do with someone "crushing it" in AAA ALL SEASON and not getting called up?

I thought that maybe Springer had spent all of 2013 in AAA but nope.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I say again, huh?

What does Springer being down for 13 games have to do with someone "crushing it" in AAA ALL SEASON and not getting called up?

I thought that maybe Springer had spent all of 2013 in AAA but nope.

Its service time.  If you don't see the comparison that is fine.  I do.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Its service time.  If you don't see the comparison that is fine.  I do.

I said it would be unprecedented (should have specified post expansion) to keep someone down all year and you countered with the two word reply of a player's name.

That player did not spend all season at AAA.

The concept that teams manipulate service time wasn't being questioned.

Your comparison is bad and you should feel bad.

hqdefault.jpg

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I said it would be unprecedented (should have specified post expansion) to keep someone down all year and you countered with the two word reply of a player's name.

That player did not spend all season at AAA.

The concept that teams manipulate service time wasn't being questioned.

Your comparison is bad and you should feel bad.

hqdefault.jpg

But I don't.

59 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's the veteran guys who are complaining, not the guys actually signing the deals.

I know, but it’s none of their business.   

Without reading through this entire thread (sorry if this has already been said) I agree 100% that Mountcastle should be called up, but I'm beginning to think that we won't see him, Hays, or Diaz this year because of service time. Especially now that the mirage of this team possibly being competitive has faded. It's a bit disappointing especially since some of these guys seem ready. 

36 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Without reading through this entire thread (sorry if this has already been said) I agree 100% that Mountcastle should be called up, but I'm beginning to think that we won't see him, Hays, or Diaz this year because of service time. Especially now that the mirage of this team possibly being competitive has faded. It's a bit disappointing especially since some of these guys seem ready. 

I don't think we see Mountcastle or Diaz this season but I think there is a good chance to see Hays.   They would have to keep him in the minors for 49 days in 2020 to get a extra year.   If he gets healthy and is hitting after 49 days into this season I think he could be promoted.

This next labor negotiation is going to be VERY interesting.

The owners have decided (or learned) that signing free agents to long term contracts, with the exception of really young ones, doesn't pay off and have drastically reduced their investment in those type of players.   At the same time, there is a concerted effort to extend young prospects a few years beyond their initial free agent date, which will eliminate the young exceptions.   The young guys still aren't getting paid what 29-30 year old FAs *used* to get, but more and more of them are getting 7 figures right from the get-go.   The Judge's out there producing huge #s for 6 figure salaries are disappearing.

And then there are multiple teams that are rebuilding and choose to drastically cut payroll for that reason.

So payrolls are going down overall.   If you are in charge of the union, how do you combat this?   How do you prevent the owners from implementing a strategy that basically will result in them keeping more money and your union members getting paid less?   You can't stop an Albies from choosing to accept some form of financial security rather than hope he remains great until he gets to arbitration.

What is your key demand going into the next CBA negotiation?   A team payroll floor?   What do you offer to give up to get that?