weams

It's Time - Mountcastle

41 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Would make more sense if some of our better hitters this year weren’t Mancini and Nunez. Or if he could play a position. 

Nunez is slumping. 2 for his last 26.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Nunez is slumping. 2 for his last 26.

A 26 AB slump (about a week) doesn't demand sitting a guy who's been one of the brighter spots on the year.  Let mountcastle work on playing defense and batting every day.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

A 26 AB slump (about a week) doesn't demand sitting a guy who's been one of the brighter spots on the year.  Let mountcastle work on playing defense and batting every day.  

Would be nice if Nunez worked on his defense.

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'd like to agree with both of you here.  While I wouldn't base this decision on 26 ABs, I'd base it on the nearly 400 ML ABs that have produced a .712 OPS, .302 OBP and a minor league track record that doesn't inspire optimism for improvement.  Couple that with an inability to play a position, and I'm not sure I am basing any decisions on our top prospects based on the presence of Renato Nunez.

That being said, I'm in no hurry to bring Mountcastle up.  The idea that Nunez is somehow an impediment to the call up is baffling to me though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I'd like to agree with both of you here.  While I wouldn't base this decision on 26 ABs, I'd base it on the nearly 400 ML ABs that have produced a .712 OPS, .302 OBP and a minor league track record that doesn't inspire optimism for improvement.  Couple that with an inability to play a position, and I'm not sure I am basing any decisions on our top prospects based on the presence of Renato Nunez.

That being said, I'm in no hurry to bring Mountcastle up.  The idea that Nunez is somehow an impediment to the call up is baffling to me though. 

I'm not saying he's an impediment. I just don't see the rush when there's two righty bats doing pretty well (Nunez) and great (Mancini) sharing first with Davis (who's going nowhere in the short term and has hit well as of late). 

Again, not saying he's blocked necessarily. Just pushing back on the notion that there's an obvious void demanding he be up right now. If he played catcher, or SS, or 3B, or any OF position or was a lefty then there might be a bit more to the notion of "no time to wait."

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'm not saying he's an impediment. I just don't see the rush when there's two righty bats doing pretty well (Nunez) and great (Mancini) sharing first with Davis (who's going nowhere in the short term and has hit well as of late). 

Again, not saying he's blocked necessarily. Just pushing back on the notion that there's an obvious void demanding he be up right now. If he played catcher, or SS, or 3B, or any OF position or was a lefty then there might be a bit more to the notion of "no time to wait."

I don't disagree with this at all.  Any pushback on the notion of Nunez was not directed your way, I just feel some posters think we have something there that we really don't.  He's an all bat, low OBP, no glove player that every organization has filling AAA rosters.  He was available for nothing for a reason.  Buy yeah, he can hold his own at the ML level I guess and lets not rush a top prospect to replace him.  I'm completely on board with that rationale. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would be nice if Nunez worked on his defense.

I know that you have decided you’re against prospects staying down for any reason, but the current situation is very rationale on the part of the FO. Nunez can’t be sent down without losing him. If I have to pick one, it’s Mountcastle 10/10 times, obviously. But that not the decision that has to be made right now. When it’s time for RM to come up, he’ll be up here for good. No reason to rush him. Let him develop, particularly with the glove. Nunez can simultaneously attempt to prove why he was once a highly-regarded prospect. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I know that you have decided you’re against prospects staying down for any reason, but the current situation is very rationale on the part of the FO. Nunez can’t be sent down without losing him. If I have to pick one, it’s Mountcastle 10/10 times, obviously. But that not the decision that has to be made right now. When it’s time for RM to come up, he’ll be up here for good. No reason to rush him. Let him develop, particularly with the glove. Nunez can simultaneously attempt to prove why he was once a highly-regarded prospect. 

I'm actually fine with Mountcastle being down for now, I've said as much.

I've also not pushed for any pitchers to be rushed, so please don't go saying I want all prospects promoted. 

But if you want to ding Mountcastle for his defense I'll go ahead and point out that Nunez isn't much of a defender.   Would be nice if we saw some improvement from him.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm actually fine with Mountcastle being down for now, I've said as much.

But if you want to ding Mountcastle for his defense I'll go ahead and point out that Nunez isn't much of a defender.   Would be nice if we saw some improvement from him.

Núñez is nothing more than a placeholder IMO.    I do think it’s important to get Mountcastle comfortable at 1B before we bring him up.   He should be a big part of our lineup for years to come, and we can afford to be patient with him.  

No sense in worrying when Mountcastle will come up. It will happen. It's just so nice to have a prospect ascend levels in the manner Mountcastle has and hit at every stop. His bat is legit. What he's doing in AAA as a 22 year old is really impressive. Most of the players around his level of production at the level are 25+ and littered with older, former MLers. If he can provide positive value defensively at 1B he'll be a better prospect than most imagined he'd be.

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Davis has hit well of late? What am I missing?

6 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Davis has hit well of late? What am I missing?

Last 28 days: .815 OPS

Last 14 days: .808 OPS

not counting tonight, last 7 is .282 but that’s 11 PA. 

Every single time an Orioles Prospect gets hot, selected fans think that he should be promoted to Baltimore!

Reality Check!

He's hitting AAA Pitching . . . Not Major-league Pitching!

Let's see what he is producing August 1.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Papeete said:

Every single time an Orioles Prospect gets hot, selected fans think that he should be promoted to Baltimore!

Reality Check!

He's hitting AAA Pitching . . . Not Major-league Pitching!

Let's see what he is producing August 1.

It works both ways.

Prospect gets hot for a week or 2: BRING THEM UP!!

Prospect or newly called up player goes cold for a week or 2: BUST!!! WASTE OF TIME!!! 

Nunez had a .894 OPS 7 games ago. SSS allows numbers to fluctuate quickly. In 355 ABs with us Nunez has a .756 OPS and 13 HR. I’ll take that. 

We all know that Davis is keeping Mountcastle down. 

I see nothing wrong with Mountcastle coming up in September. Why be in a hurry to get nowhere fast?  Come next OD, we actually might be able to throw out a pretty good offense, but we aren’t going anywhere with the starting pitching. 

Current O’s rebuild... Grow the bats, buy the arms. 

Edited by sportsfan8703