Sign in to follow this  
WillyM

Best regular season in franchise history

It occurs to me that this is the 50th anniversary of the best season in the history of the Brewers/Browns/Orioles franchise.

Yes, the 1969 team went 109-53.  No other team accumulated as many regular season wins.

The one that came closest was the 1970 team, which went 108-54.  When the 1970 team proceeded to sweep the ALCS from the Twins and take the first two games of the World Series from the Reds, the first question from the reporters to Earl Weaver after the game was "What's the difference between this year's team and last year's team?"

Weaver, obviously ready for the question, shot back, "Absolutely nothing.  Last year's team won 109 in the regular season, three in the ALCS, and one of the first two in the Series.  That added up to 113 wins, same as we've got now."

Doesn't appear that there are going to be any festivities scheduled for this year to celebrate the 50th anniversary of that '69 team, though.

Even 50 years later, boy, does it hurt that they lost to the Mets!

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, WillyM said:

It occurs to me that this is the 50th anniversary of the best season in the history of the Brewers/Browns/Orioles franchise.

Yes, the 1969 team went 109-53.  No other team accumulated as many regular season wins.

The one that came closest was the 1970 team, which went 108-54.  When the 1970 team proceeded to sweep the ALCS from the Twins and take the first two games of the World Series from the Reds, the first question from the reporters to Earl Weaver after the game was "What's the difference between this year's team and last year's team?"

Weaver, obviously ready for the question, shot back, "Absolutely nothing.  Last year's team won 109 in the regular season, three in the ALCS, and one of the first two in the Series.  That added up to 113 wins, same as we've got now."

Doesn't appear that there are going to be any festivities scheduled for this year to celebrate the 50th anniversary of that '69 team, though.

Even 50 years later, boy, does it hurt that they lost to the Mets!

Unless some energetic sales rep sees this post and makes a suggestion.  Let's hope we hear Jim Hunter pronouncing this event!  😷

Now that I check it out, I find that only three players who appeared in an Oriole uniform in 1969 did not return in 1970.  So I suppose it makes sense to wait until next year and celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1970 World Championship with pretty much all the same guys who were on the 1969 team.

The three who played in 1969 but not in 1970 were Mike Adamson, Frank Bertaina, and Al Severinsen, all pitchers who saw extremely limited service.  Of the three, the only one to record a win was Severinsen, who entered the Sept. 10 game in the sixth inning with the score tied 7-7 and managed to get through the seventh and eighth without allowing another run.  The Orioles pushed across an eighth run in the seventh inning and Eddie Watt came on to save the game in the ninth, making Severinsen the winner.

Which, I guess, allows Severinsen to claim the distinction of being the guy who made the difference between the 1969 and 1970 regular seasons.  :)

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Orioles' secret weapon was their Ball Boy. ) :) :) ) :)

o

ROY FIRESTON))) ENOTSERIF YOR

o