Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Going Underground

Manny clarifies his comments

Recommended Posts

Just now seeing this and read this article as well: 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianquillen/2019/04/28/orioles-fan-furror-over-manny-machado-comments-ignores-one-thing-he-was-right/#7519f0141ead

 

Makes a ton of sense if you're Manny and kinda always has. I think the Forbes article frames the context well.

I hope he gets treated well when he treks back to Baltimore. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Just now seeing this and read this article as well: 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianquillen/2019/04/28/orioles-fan-furror-over-manny-machado-comments-ignores-one-thing-he-was-right/#7519f0141ead

 

Makes a ton of sense if you're Manny and kinda always has. I think the Forbes article frames the context well.

I hope he gets treated well when he treks back to Baltimore. 

It's a nice article but one problem, they don't know what was offered to Manny.

Did the O's make a fair market offer to Machado?  Did they make multiple offers over the years?  Did they lowball him?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a nice article but one problem, they don't know what was offered to Manny.

Did the O's make a fair market offer to Machado?  Did they make multiple offers over the years?  Did they lowball him?

I think it's pretty clear the O's almost certainly blew it at every turn with any Manny negotiations. You hope things like this take a turn for the better under "new" ownership. We shall see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think it's pretty clear the O's almost certainly blew it at every turn with any Manny negotiations. You hope things like this take a turn for the better under "new" ownership. We shall see. 

Not trying to be a contrarian (for once) but it isn't clear to me.  I don't know how willing Manny was to stay in Baltimore.  Maybe his contract demands were unreasonable? 

I am very skeptical that the new ownership will be as willing to spend as the old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a nice article but one problem, they don't know what was offered to Manny.

Did the O's make a fair market offer to Machado?  Did they make multiple offers over the years?  Did they lowball him?

Best we've heard reported is that they were a few million apart when he was having knee trouble. Never been verified or backed up by any other reporter. We'll probably never know, unless Brady writes his memoir "Biceps, (Side)burns, and Bungled Negotations - A Life"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manny should concentrate on the San Diego fans.

After about 1/6th of the season he is hitting .235 and is ranked 17th in OPS among ML third baseman.

A generational talent ? A future HOF'er?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Manny should concentrate on the San Diego fans.

After about 1/6th of the season he is hitting .235 and is ranked 17th in OPS among ML third baseman.

A generational talent ? A future HOF'er?

 

So, when he is in DC, he's asked a question about the Orioles he should refuse to answer?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not trying to be a contrarian (for once) but it isn't clear to me.  I don't know how willing Manny was to stay in Baltimore.  Maybe his contract demands were unreasonable? 

I am very skeptical that the new ownership will be as willing to spend as the old.

I think the new ownership knew the state of affairs here, and decided it wasn't worth trying to keep Manny here, just to have him here in 3 years, when they had better pieces around him.

Just my gut, and Ive been wrong before. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So, when he is in DC, he's asked a question about the Orioles he should refuse to answer?

The amount of hate here in OH (Not from you) amazes me when it comes to Manny.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a nice article but one problem, they don't know what was offered to Manny.

Did the O's make a fair market offer to Machado?  Did they make multiple offers over the years?  Did they lowball him?

The Orioles didn't reach out to Manny since the 2013 offseason.  A couple weeks ago, Dan Connolly notes, "I think it may have bled into 2014. But they kept all that pretty close to the vest. And I definitely think the anticipated demands -- which proved attainable for his side -- were a major deterrent."

My assumption all along is that Angelos was concerned about a long-term deal at that time due to Manny's knee(s).  However, by 2015, Manny's knees were fine for all 162 games.   Sure his expected demands kept increasing as he moved closer to free agency but why nothing happened following 2015/16 hasn't been reported.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good for him.  I find it funny at this point how often he has to clarify things he says or does.  Keep splitting hairs Manny still doesn't change who you are, what you said, or what you have done.  My advice (not that it matters), work on the future and so you can stop lamenting the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Manny should concentrate on the San Diego fans.

After about 1/6th of the season he is hitting .235 and is ranked 17th in OPS among ML third baseman.

A generational talent ? A future HOF'er?

 

At least he hasn't started getting booed by the hometown fans like Harper has.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

The amount of hate here in OH (Not from you) amazes me when it comes to Manny.

 

It's the "Twitterverse", anything goes 24/7!  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 165 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...