wildcard

O's listening to trade offers for Givens

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Where was it reported that the Brewers gave us extra for Schoop catching fire?

Are you trying to be facetious with that response, or alternatively genuinely believe that a 4 era > reliever is at the peak or his trade value because of service time?  Usually I like interacting with you on posts but this is not one of those times.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is common sense to say that teams look at more than a few weeks of production when evaluating players.

I don’t think I ever argued against that. Point I’m trying to make is that if Givens had a 2 Era right now he’d be more valuable than if he had a 4. Teams would give more for a player producing more than for a player they “hope will be able to recapture past performance.” Either I represented that wrong or I am totally lost about why that is controversial.

1 minute ago, TheOtherRipken said:

I don’t think I ever argued against that. Point I’m trying to make is that if Givens had a 2 Era right now he’d be more valuable than if he had a 4. Teams would give more for a player producing more than for a player they “hope will be able to recapture past performance.” Either I represented that wrong or I am totally lost about why that is controversial.

I think you are significantly over estimating recent performance.

9 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Are you trying to be facetious with that response, or alternatively genuinely believe that a 4 era > reliever is at the peak or his trade value because of service time?  Usually I like interacting with you on posts but this is not one of those times.

No, I'm genuinely curious.  

Service time matters.  It's part of a players value.  I disagree with your notion that Givens would be more valuable now with a 2 ERA than a 4 ERA because his career is a 3.18 ERA.  He's gone 12 innings this year.  I'm failing to believe that if the 12 innings he had thrown this year were to a 2.00 ERA a team would give up a...better prospect?  Would give up an additional prospect?  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Service time matters.  It's part of a players value.  I disagree with your notion that Givens would be more valuable now with a 2 ERA than a 4 ERA because his career is a 3.18 ERA.  He's gone 12 innings this year.  I'm failing to believe that if the 12 innings he had thrown this year were to a 2.00 ERA a team would give up a...better prospect?  Would give up an additional prospect?  

It's common sense.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotcha I can’t say for a fact, I’m just a junkie for deadline trades and my own observations, and the trend seems like trading a player at a down point is lesser value and at a higher point is greater.  

12 innings isn’t the problem, he struggled last year too. A good closer isn’t pitching at a 4 era. He really hasnt been consistenly dominant since 2017 and I would be concerned with maximizing value based on that and before.