Es4M11

Looking on the bright side of things: Adley Rutschman l

https://osubeavers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6882

Barring injury or some other unforeseen circumstance, Adley Rutschman looks like the #1 pick. If Rutschman can keep up his current trajectory some of the baseball talking heads say he would be an instant top 10 prospect the moment he is drafted. I can't say that I have watched him a ton, but what I have watched is impressive. He can flat out hit that is for sure, and most of the opinions out there seem to think he will have no problem sticking at catcher in the majors.

Looks like our future catcher. That's worth some excitement.

Now if only Bobby Witt Jr would go to school for a year...

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

https://osubeavers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6882

Barring injury or some other unforeseen circumstance, Adley Rutschman looks like the #1 pick. If Rutschman can keep up his current trajectory some of the baseball talking heads say he would be an instant top 10 prospect the moment he is drafted. I can't say that I have watched him a ton, but what I have watched is impressive. He can flat out hit that is for sure, and most of the opinions out there seem to think he will have no problem sticking at catcher in the majors.

Looks like our future catcher. That's worth some excitement.

Now if only Bobby Witt Jr would go to school for a year...

Sticking at catcher isn't a problem, he's one of if not the best defensive catchers in college baseball. 

10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Sticking at catcher isn't a problem, he's one of if not the best defensive catchers in college baseball. 

For starters, apologies to the mods, I kind of forgot about this board when I posted this topic to Orioles talk. Had I known there were so many topics/comments about Rutschman I would have just joined in there. I should have known I suppose, this kid is dynamite. So feel free to merge this with any one of the threads here.

On to your comment about Rutschman's defense. I don't watch nearly enough college baseball to have a strong opinion, so I'll rely on those who do. He's looked good in the limited amount of time I have watched. His at bats I have seen more of. Anyway, it's very exciting to see Rutschman continue to improve this year from last -- the power is really coming on this year.

The Orioles could be fairly decent up the middle with Rutschman and Hays. Find a blue chip SS at the top of the 2020 draft and life might not be so bad.

In my view, in regards to position players,  Catcher is the single most important defensive position on the team. If able to choose just one position to have both a great offensive & defensive player, it'd be Catcher.  So, for me, and based off every known criteria for determining the top player available in the draft, Rutschman is clearly the choice.  Hopefully it'll be so for Elias as well. 

Rutschman, arguably, may be the best catching prospect ever. Certainly among the best ever.
I'll be thrilled to see us take him.

On 5/12/2019 at 12:26 PM, Greg Pappas said:

In my view, in regards to position players,  Catcher is the single most important defensive position on the team. If able to choose just one position to have both a great offensive & defensive player, it'd be Catcher.  So, for me, and based off every known criteria for determining the top player available in the draft, Rutschman is clearly the choice.  Hopefully it'll be so for Elias as well. 

Rutschman, arguably, may be the best catching prospect ever. Certainly among the best ever.
I'll be thrilled to see us take him.

Johnny Bench says hello, but I agree very much about Adley’s potential. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Johnny Bench says hello, but I agree very much about Adley’s potential. 

I have no idea how highly regarded Bench was as a prospect.  I do know he hit a grand slam off Palmer.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have no idea how highly regarded Bench was as a prospect.  I do know he hit a grand slam off Palmer.

He was in the first MLB draft in 1965 so it was a very different process than now...he was the 36th pick, second round...right out of high school in ...17...out of Binger, Oklahoma...spent less two years in minors and debuted at 19 in the bigs in 1967 and then spent the next 17 years as the HOF catcher for the Reds. 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

He was in the first MLB draft in 1965 so it was a very different process than now...he was the 36th pick, second round...right out of high school in ...17...out of Binger, Oklahoma...spent less two years in minors and debuted at 19 in the bigs in 1967 and then spent the next 17 years as the HOF catcher for the Reds. 

I know how he turned out.

b7323f68-ad1d-423a-ab43-0d9bccc1bf44_1.b

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I know how he turned out.

b7323f68-ad1d-423a-ab43-0d9bccc1bf44_1.b

It was bird dog super scout, Tony Robello who bagged Johnny Bench..

“. In 1962 Robello joined the Reds’ scouting staff, and spent the rest of his career with the Reds, helping build the Big Red Machine champions of 1975 and 1976. He began as an area scout in Northern California, then scouted in Texas, Oklahoma, and eastern New Mexico. (Robello owned a ranch near Fort Worth, Texas.) In 1965 he scouted a strong-armed catcher from Binger, Oklahoma, named Johnny Bench. Legend has it that Robello and some other scouts watched as Bench pitched a high school game, and when Bench was replaced on the mound the other scouts left. Robello stayed and saw Bench behind the plate. Whether or not the story is true, the Reds drafted future Hall of Famer Bench in the second round of the 1965 amateur draft. (Their first-round choice was outfielder Bernie Carbo.”

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/e56da0e8

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nobody hit a grand slam off Palmer.