wildcard

Mullins earning a 2nd chance

53 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m always impressed by a player that fails a little and responds. It’s not like we can’t go back to him just because he failed. Actually, this is exactly what player development is. I’m not burying Mullins or Sisco just yet. Same goes for Santander. We buried DJ Stewart after some bad draft grades and a slow start to his career. Players adjust. 

I don't think the O's buried Stewart.   He has not been promotion because of his performance and other O's players who has done better than he has (Smith).

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

.237 batting average and .708 OPS with the Tides. 

Very literal interpretation of the question.

Just now, Cy Bundy said:

Very literal interpretation of the question.

Well I don't watch Tides games, so I don't want to BS about his play, lol. Based on the stats, Mullins isn't exactly lighting it up in AAA. 

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well I don't watch Tides games, so I don't want to BS about his play, lol. Based on the stats, Mullins isn't exactly lighting it up in AAA. 

Ha, I was messing around, I simply wasn’t ready to read the truth about young Cedric so soon after being swept by the Yanks AAA team. 

After a hot start in Norfolk Mullins has gone 25 for 140 to drop his OPS to 605. Will he ever get another promotion? 

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

After a hot start in Norfolk Mullins has gone 25 for 140 to drop his OPS to 605. Will he ever get another promotion? 

Not until he starts hitting for Norfolk. Rickard's OPS is 1.062 and leads the team. 

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/more-on-hays-promotion-and-other-roster-decisions.html

“I don’t think we’re going to be calling Cedric up,” Elias said. “I talked to him the other night in Bowie. It’s been a lost season for him in a lot of ways, and the fact that he has ended up back in Bowie is not something I ever would’ve dreamt or would’ve wanted to see, and I don’t think he did, either.

“We do think that he might benefit from making some mechanical changes and some very focused mechanical work. He’s got a real good approach. He’s got a lot of ability. He’s still really young and he’s still a heck of a center fielder, so we’re going to put together a program for him in the offseason to work on his swing. But at this time, with the number of outfielders who we have, I’m not anticipating that. But certainly, if something changes it’s a possibility.”

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/more-on-hays-promotion-and-other-roster-decisions.html

“I don’t think we’re going to be calling Cedric up,” Elias said. “I talked to him the other night in Bowie. It’s been a lost season for him in a lot of ways, and the fact that he has ended up back in Bowie is not something I ever would’ve dreamt or would’ve wanted to see, and I don’t think he did, either.

“We do think that he might benefit from making some mechanical changes and some very focused mechanical work. He’s got a real good approach. He’s got a lot of ability. He’s still really young and he’s still a heck of a center fielder, so we’re going to put together a program for him in the offseason to work on his swing. But at this time, with the number of outfielders who we have, I’m not anticipating that. But certainly, if something changes it’s a possibility.”

Until he has to throw the ball to the catcher, or even to an infielder. Unless there's some way to improve his arm, I don't see how Mullins can be a major league OFer.

“There was a combination of things. I feel like my stroke of luck wasn’t necessarily with me as well. I was having better at-bats in Triple A and sometimes it just didn’t lead to the results that I wanted,” Mullins said. “And, at the same time, I would put together the strings of bad at-bats, there were a few strikeouts in the mix, the weak contact that I was previously having in the big leagues. … It was more or less me not being able to find the swing I knew I have always had.”

Bowie hitting coach Keith Bodie has 37 years of coaching and managerial experience. When Mullins returned to the Baysox in July, Bodie said there was an immediate sense between the two that they needed to get to work.

“It was like he just stepped off the plane or out of his car and I had everything lined up for him as to what he needed to do,” Bodie said. “And he was on board. He works his tail off every single day.”

Part of the problem, Bodie believed, is that Mullins simply didn’t get himself as ready as he needed to be last offseason to be able to handle his first full season in the majors. That maybe he took the majors for granted.

“He didn’t do the things that he did previously to prepare for the season last year,” Bodie said. “He’s at the highest level of baseball. There is no league higher than the league that he started out in (this year). You can’t do that. That will catch up to you in the big leagues. I don’t think that he prepared the way he did previously, mentally and work-ethic-wise.”

He knows he won’t see Baltimore this year. Orioles manager Brandon Hyde said this week there has been no discussion of promoting anyone from the Baysox once their playoff run is completed. But Mullins still believes he has a job to do in 2019.

“Mentally, right now, I’m trying to help Double A win a championship, and that’s my sole focus right now,” Mullins said. “In my career, it’s still early, I have the ability to make a huge impact in the future.”

Mullins admits now that task — that replacing-Jones narrative — might have been a considerable factor in his demise in 2019.

“It played a decent part,” Mullins said. “In terms of the pressure put on me, I think that was putting the cart before the horse.”

It wasn’t just replacing Jones, Bodie said. But it was also being anointed the first face of the Orioles’ rebuild. Shouldering that responsibility, at least initially, by himself.

“He wasn’t prepared to have that happen, to be a centerpiece of a baseball team,” Bodie said. “He wasn’t prepared for that. Nobody is.”

“Absolutely. You can’t give up on him,” Bodie said. “He is going to play in the big leagues again and he is going to stay there a long time. He is gonna be that type of player.”

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Until he has to throw the ball to the catcher, or even to an infielder. Unless there's some way to improve his arm, I don't see how Mullins can be a major league OFer.

I don’t agree.    He’s good enough at catching the ball where he can still be an average or better defensive CF even with an arm that is well below average.    Catching the ball is a bigger piece of being a CF than throwing it is.    

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t agree.    He’s good enough at catching the ball where he can still be an average or better defensive CF even with an arm that is well below average.    Catching the ball is a bigger piece of being a CF than throwing it is.    

While I agree that catching is the most important thing I don't think Mullins has shown us average defense in center to date.  He just doesn't get to as many balls as I would think his speed should allow him.