Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

My candidates for MiL player/pitcher of the month

I think you're right, but DL Hall's numbers are borderline ridiculous given his walks. They just can't hit that kid. He must really have electric stuff. He gave up 10 hits in the month of July, and 11 walks. 

28 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think you're right, but DL Hall's numbers are borderline ridiculous given his walks. They just can't hit that kid. He must really have electric stuff. He gave up 10 hits in the month of July, and 11 walks. 

Mildly reminiscent of Tanner Scott, who allowed 4.1 H/9 at Frederick but walked 7.8 per 9 there.    I don’t think Hall is as wild as Scott, but the walks do concern me.   Among other things, he’s not getting deep into games because his pitch count gets high.   

I would give it to Baumann this month as well. He was electric, and it came after a promotion. Really great stuff in July for that kid.

Now the position players.    There were more viable candidates than I realized.   I’ve listed them in order of level, with their OPS, HR, RBI

Jace Peterson, 1.297, 4, 8 (14 games)

Ryan Mountcastle, .895, 4, 15

Mason Williams, .872, 4, 15

Austin Hays, .854, 6, 18

DJ Stewart, .828, 6, 17

Yusniel Diaz, .867, 3, 22

Ryan McKenna, .822, 3, 15

Jomar Reyes, .962, 3, 15

Patrick Dorrian, .879, 3, 15

Zach Jarrett, .844, 5, 15

Johnny Rizer, .841, 2, 12

Zack Watson, .806, 5, 13

Toby Welk, .850, 1, 12

Pretty tight, but my pick would be Reyes, who easily had the highest OPS of anyone who played a full month.    His slash line breakdown was .379/.404/.558.

Peterson was spectacular over 14 games, but he’ll have to settle for being in the major leagues as his reward. 

I could also make a good argument for Diaz, who put up his numbers in a very pitcher-friendly league and knocked in the most runs of anyone in the organization.  But, I’m going with Reyes.

I think Diaz will be the pick, as the tie tends to go to the better prospect when there isn't an obvious choice.

Glad Reyes is showing some improvement, he has spend 384 games at Frederick but is still only 22, hopefully he will finally make the jump to Bowie next year.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

I think Diaz will be the pick, as the tie tends to go to the better prospect when there isn't an obvious choice.

Glad Reyes is showing some improvement, he has spend 384 games at Frederick but is still only 22, hopefully he will finally make the jump to Bowie next year.

Yeah but has to go on 40 man roster this year. I doubt they protect him and he hits rule 5 draft will someone gamble on him is  the question.  

24 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Yeah but has to go on 40 man roster this year. I doubt they protect him and he hits rule 5 draft will someone gamble on him is  the question.  

There is absolutely no way anyone takes Reyes in the Major League rule 5 draft. It is more likely that the Orioles don't protect him on their minor league roster and someone takes him as a pitcher in the minor league phase (I don't think this will happen).

Edited by jcarm
correction
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I am not worried about anybody taking Reyes in the Rule 5 draft. His best case scenario long term is probably Rio Ruiz with fewer walks, that isn't the type of player that merits 40-man roster protection before playing at AA.

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I am not worried about anybody taking Reyes in the Rule 5 draft. His best case scenario long term is probably Rio Ruiz with fewer walks, that isn't the type of player that merits 40-man roster protection before playing at AA.

How are they similar? 

19 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

How are they similar? 

Below average power, low batting average,  borderline defense at third.

The best thing that Ruiz offers is the walks and Reyes doesn't have that.

Ruiz minor league triple slash line (albeit at generally a higher level at a lower age than Reyes) is .262/.343/.403

Reyes' line is .268/.313/.393.

I am sure there are players that Reyes is more similar to than Ruiz, but as an Orioles fan he is who springs to mind to me as a borderline defensive third baseman without plus power or hit tool.

Reyes would have to have a breakout season next year at Bowie (or convert to pitcher) to end up back in the prospect conversation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Now the position players.    There were more viable candidates than I realized.   I’ve listed them in order of level, with their OPS, HR, RBI

Jace Peterson, 1.297, 4, 8 (14 games)

Ryan Mountcastle, .895, 4, 15

Mason Williams, .872, 4, 15

Austin Hays, .854, 6, 18

DJ Stewart, .828, 6, 17

Yusniel Diaz, .867, 3, 22

Ryan McKenna, .822, 3, 15

Jomar Reyes, .962, 3, 15

Patrick Dorrian, .879, 3, 15

Zach Jarrett, .844, 5, 15

Johnny Rizer, .841, 2, 12

Zack Watson, .806, 5, 13

Toby Welk, .850, 1, 12

Pretty tight, but my pick would be Reyes, who easily had the highest OPS of anyone who played a full month.    His slash line breakdown was .379/.404/.558.

Peterson was spectacular over 14 games, but he’ll have to settle for being in the major leagues as his reward. 

I could also make a good argument for Diaz, who put up his numbers in a very pitcher-friendly league and knocked in the most runs of anyone in the organization.  But, I’m going with Reyes.

Who took the most walks?

5 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Who took the most walks?

Facetious question, I realize, but I’m pretty sure it was DJ Stewart, who batted .220 for the month but still had a .340 OBP.    He walked 12 times in 97 PA.

29 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Who took the most walks?

Wow. I thought COC was a funny guy.  You too?  lol