Tony-OH

Time to Give CF Mason Williams a spot and DFA Rickard

Norfolk CF Mason Williams, 27, has slashed .289/.325/.396/.721 on 200 MLB PAs. He was once a top 100 prospect. He's batting .328 (21-for-61) since April 10th. Joey Rickard, 28, has slashed .244/.295/.371/.666 in 893 MLB PAs. Maybe it's time to give Williams a look in CF?

We know that Rickard is not part of the future, and Williams may not be either, but Williams is younger and has actually peformed better when given a chance in the majors.

Career Stats (Williams has 200 MLB PAs, Rickard has 893)

Exit Velocity
Williams: 86.1
Rickard: 83.4 (83.2 in 2019, bottom 5% of league)

xBA
Williams: .249
Rickard: .228 (.179 in 2019, bottom 3% of league)

xSLG
Williams: .346
Rickard: .330 (.273 in 2019, bottom 5% of league)

Spring Speed:
Rickard: 28.4 ft/sec 85% percentile of league
Williams: 27.7 (2018) 67% percentile of league

Williams was a neutral fielder in the outfielder last year meaning he won't kill you or help you all that much. Rickard is a slightly above neutral outfielder.

Basically Rickard is a little faster, a hair better defensively, but Williams looks like the better hitter overall.

I think it's time to give Williams a shot.

BTW, after his 0-for-4 tonight, Mullins is batting .250 now in Norfolk. He's 1-for his last-13.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I am so ready for someone other than watching Rickard every day. When we start a rally and you see Rickard, Wilkerson and Martin coming up I don't really expect us to score. Martin I can handle watching for now but I really have seen enough of  Rickard. I would also like to see more of Santander.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Norfolk CF Mason Williams, 27, has slashed .289/.325/.396/.721 on 200 MLB PAs. He was once a top 100 prospect. He's batting .328 (21-for-61) since April 10th. Joey Rickard, 28, has slashed .244/.295/.371/.666 in 893 MLB PAs. Maybe it's time to give Williams a look in CF?

We know that Rickard is not part of the future, and Williams may not be either, but Williams is younger and has actually peformed better when given a chance in the majors.

Career Stats (Williams has 200 MLB PAs, Rickard has 893)

Exit Velocity
Williams: 86.1
Rickard: 83.4 (83.2 in 2019, bottom 5% of league)

xBA
Williams: .249
Rickard: .228 (.179 in 2019, bottom 3% of league)

xSLG
Williams: .346
Rickard: .330 (.273 in 2019, bottom 5% of league)

Spring Speed:
Rickard: 28.4 ft/sec 85% percentile of league
Williams: 27.7 (2018) 67% percentile of league

Williams was a neutral fielder in the outfielder last year meaning he won't kill you or help you all that much. Rickard is a slightly above neutral outfielder.

Basically Rickard is a little faster, a hair better defensively, but Williams looks like the better hitter overall.

I think it's time to give Williams a shot.

BTW, after his 0-for-4 tonight, Mullins is batting .250 now in Norfolk. He's 1-for his last-13.

I was waiting for you to state this.. I have struggled watching this kid and seeing the same subpar results. 900 AB's 3 to 1 K's over Walks and 17 SB's over that period of time. Too many holes in his swing. Joey is a AAAA player period. I could see three or four organizational prospects that are better suited than he is with this current team. I thought Jackson, the rule five player that came north with the OpeningDay team was much better.. Oh well. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

What is Williams arm like

I'm dying to have at least one OF'er with a plus arm

Looks at least solid average to me on this throw.

From some very old scouting reports I read, his arm is considered above average.   From available major and minor league stats, it’s hard to tell.  

• Upvote 1

I agree except I would keep Rickard as the 4th OF and go back to a 4-man bench:

1. DFA Rogers or Ortiz (or Karns to 60-day), select Williams
  2. Option Yefry, who has only pitched once since coming up, and add Williams
  3. Bench is Wynns, Rickard, Wilkerson, Alberto
  4. Rickard goes back to spelling people in all 3 OF positions

The other reason I opt to keep Rickard is simply because within the organization there is only really Mullins who is an option to come up and play CF until Hays is ready. 

• Upvote 1

I don't really know much of anything about Williams, but his AA and AAA hitting numbers aren't even close to Rickard's.  Last year in AAA Rickard out-OPS'd his teammates by 100 points, Williams by 33.  And Norfolk was a better team than Louisville.

If you ignore that one is slumping in the majors and one is hitting reasonably well in AAA, I can't see half a win's difference between them.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

I agree except I would keep Rickard as the 4th OF and go back to a 4-man bench:

1. DFA Rogers or Ortiz (or Karns to 60-day), select Williams
  2. Option Yefry, who has only pitched once since coming up, and add Williams
  3. Bench is Wynns, Rickard, Wilkerson, Alberto
  4. Rickard goes back to spelling people in all 3 OF positions

The other reason I opt to keep Rickard is simply because within the organization there is only really Mullins who is an option to come up and play CF until Hays is ready. 

It's a reasonable idea to keep Rickard around due to a lack of depth in major league CF options, but at some point they need to cut bait. Joey had a nice run, but the key is giving Williams a long look in center this year. Williams may end up being another Rickard, but he's got a better pedigree and is younger, so why not?

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't really know much of anything about Williams, but his AA and AAA hitting numbers aren't even close to Rickard's.  Last year in AAA Rickard out-OPS'd his teammates by 100 points, Williams by 33.

If you ignore that one is slumping in the majors and one is hitting reasonably well in AAA, I can't see half a win's difference between them.

There may not be a half win difference between them, but what we do know is who Rickard is at the major league level and not Williams. In a year where we need to find out, there's no reason not to give Williams a shot. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's a reasonable idea to keep Rickard around due to a lack of depth in major league CF options, but at some point they need to cut bait. Joey had a nice run, but the key is giving Williams a long look in center this year. Williams may end up being another Rickard, but he's got a better pedigree and is younger, so why not?

None of these guys are the real future Outfield options in 3 years.

Right now, these guys are just holding spots, until they can draft/sign better players.

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

None of these guys are the real future Outfield options in 3 years.

Right now, these guys are just holding spots, until they can draft/sign better players.

This is where I am.  Rickard vs. Mason Williams is a shoulder shrug.  The only thing they'd be considered for in a few years is a backup spot.  Tony's not wrong when he says we should take a look at Williams but I find the battle between the two a snorefest.  

• Upvote 2

Yea at this point I'm basically just not paying attention to what's going on in CF and counting down the days until Hays is actually playing games again.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is where I am.  Rickard vs. Mason Williams is a shoulder shrug.  The only thing they'd be considered for in a few years is a backup spot.  Tony's not wrong when he says we should take a look at Williams but I find the battle between the two a snorefest.  

This entire year will be a snoozefest if you keep that attitude. Haha

We gotta talk about something. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1