Jump to content
Tony-OH

Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Recommended Posts

I'm glad you started this thread. Need to see this sustained, but it definitely throws a kink into future plans based on where we were a couple of months ago.

It makes the Davis/Mancini/Mountcastle+ log jam a potential long term issue. This is actually a good problem to have if this production is truly a real sign of things to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LookinUp said:

I'm glad you started this thread. Need to see this sustained, but it definitely throws a kink into future plans based on where we were a couple of months ago.

It makes the Davis/Mancini/Mountcastle+ log jam a potential long term issue. This is actually a good problem to have if this production is truly a real sign of things to come.

How is it a good problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

In case you were wondering why you don't dread seeing Chris Davis at the plate of late, he's slashing .290/.371/.581/.952 with 5 home runs in his last 21 games (70 PAs) since setting his record breaking 0-fer streak.

His 90.7 exit velocity and 50% hard hit% (50%) leads the team.

Its his best streak over 70 PAs since he slashed .288/.389/.661/1.050 with 5 HRs over 72 PAs between Jun 3rd to Jun 21st 2016 (At least that I could find).

I don't know if Davis has refound it, but he's certainly surprised me with this streak.

 

Davis' .952 OPS leads the team, Dwight Smith 2nd at .898, Mancini is a distant 3rd .803.   Dwight Smith leads in HR (6) and RBI (21), with Davis 2nd in both 5 HR, 15 RBI.    On the flip side, of players with at least 50AB, Davis is 3rd in AB/strikeouts behind Wilkerson and Nunez.

Some back of the napkin numbers, assuming Davis' AB are 1/4 of where he'll end up, 
 2016, Davis hit .221, to match that he needs to go .232 the rest of the way
2015 was his best BA of the last 5 years, .262, to dream really big and match that, requires a .288 pace which would be almost 2013 like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!  Don't jinx it for pete's sake!  Just enjoy and don't talk about it, lol....

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm glad you started this thread. Need to see this sustained, but it definitely throws a kink into future plans based on where we were a couple of months ago.

It makes the Davis/Mancini/Mountcastle+ log jam a potential long term issue. This is actually a good problem to have if this production is truly a real sign of things to come.

The O's should at least consider trading Mancini.  His trade value may never be this high again, and by the time the O's might be contenders again he'll probably be expensive.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CheeryO said:

The O's should at least consider trading Mancini.  His trade value may never be this high again, and by the time the O's might be contenders again he'll probably be expensive.

Yes, they need to move him this summer regardless of what Davis does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yes, they need to move him this summer regardless of what Davis does. 

That is the type of move I wouldn't expect to see from Dan or Andy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm glad you started this thread. Need to see this sustained, but it definitely throws a kink into future plans based on where we were a couple of months ago.

It makes the Davis/Mancini/Mountcastle+ log jam a potential long term issue. This is actually a good problem to have if this production is truly a real sign of things to come.

I disagree with you that it’s a good problem to have. He is not part of the future for this team. I still want the team to play the young guys and see what they have. If they have to play CD 90% the time that’s cuts into others. IMO 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His bat looked quick when he pulled a 92mph fastball for a HR yesterday. Not something I expected to see coming into this year. Its possible alot of his problems were mental. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jabba72 said:

His bat looked quick when he pulled a 92mph fastball for a HR yesterday. Not something I expected to see coming into this year. Its possible alot of his problems were mental. 

Or you know, the other thing.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

The O's should at least consider trading Mancini.  His trade value may never be this high again, and by the time the O's might be contenders again he'll probably be expensive.

Trade Mancini? He should be playing 1st. Davis should be in Texas fishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Or you know, the other thing.

Whatever he'd doing, he's a different player since the streak ended. As long as its within MLB guidelines Im glad he's doing it again.  makes you wonder what kind of potential season Davis can have this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Whatever he'd doing, he's a different player since the streak ended. As long as its within MLB guidelines Im glad he's doing it again.  makes you wonder what kind of potential season Davis can have this year. 

I'm fine if it's not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Davis' .952 OPS leads the team, Dwight Smith 2nd at .898, Mancini is a distant 3rd .803.   Dwight Smith leads in HR (6) and RBI (21), with Davis 2nd in both 5 HR, 15 RBI.    On the flip side, of players with at least 50AB, Davis is 3rd in AB/strikeouts behind Wilkerson and Nunez.

Some back of the napkin numbers, assuming Davis' AB are 1/4 of where he'll end up, 
 2016, Davis hit .221, to match that he needs to go .232 the rest of the way
2015 was his best BA of the last 5 years, .262, to dream really big and match that, requires a .288 pace which would be almost 2013 like.

.  I assume you are only and strictly referring to the sample size of the last 21 games when you are making these comparisons.  Davis OPS of .952 is only for the last 21 games.  He stands at .666 OPS overall for the year.  Trey Mancini is at .914 for the year to lead this team to date and Dwight Smith at .844 and they both have substantially more plate appearances thus far (more than 50 more) than Davis. 

Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Lol. Because we have to room to make our 2 rule 5 selections. 
    • I’m torn on Mckenna. I see your points about Fry and Armstrong. I think we have some relievers that would be “good” if they were on a team that could use them in traditional ways. Like Fry, Scott, Armstrong, Castro, and even Bleier, but we’re not a traditional team. We’re a team struggling to cover innings.  That’s why I Was surprised we let Ynoa and Brooks both go. I could see one but not both. Those were two guys you could stick in any game and say you just gotta eat innings.  Having one inning relievers on this team is pretty pointless, outside of Givens.  Will we be able to do the Norfolk shuttle now, since there really aren’t those guys on the roster now to shuttle up and down?  They’re now prospects that we’d like to leave in their SP regimen. 
    • Why would anyone need to be DFAd in that scenario with five open roster spaces?
    • The O's really needs to add  near term starters.  And to sign them Elias may have to offer a 40 man roster spots.  I see Armstrong and Fry vulnerable to being left go in order to sign some guys that offer more innings. Wojo types.   Kyle Moore says Fenter has three plus pitches.  As bad as the O's need starters I can't see  them exposing a guy like that to the draft.  Even if he ends of being a multi inning reliever if he has three plus pitches he is too good to expose IMO. If the O's had the room I would protect McKenna but when I try to fit him on the 40 man with the need for starters, long relievers and adding Mountcastle I run out of room.  
    • Thanks for the great analysis @Tony-OH @Luke-OH.   Do you guys think Mullins has been officially asked to give up switch hitting?  
    • 26 man roster thought... A six man rotation would benefit everyone. I know, I know... we can barely find 5 SP(really 3), but it could allow us to start Harvey in 3IP stints, and go from there.  Means - would his fb play up, or could it hurt the feel for his secondaries? Bundy - always benefits from the extra rest  Cobb - has been hurt the last two years, so... Wojo - his stuff could play up Akin - a good way to break him into the MLB.  Wasn’t going deep into AAA starts. Harvey - we get to see if he can start with extra rest and a controlled environment. Also this would be a good way to introduce future pitching prospects as either spot starters or for long relief one game. Or why couldn’t we just piggyback guys like they do in the minors to start the year. What is the downside?  We lose 110 instead of 105?
    • Just reminds of how strange a year 2012 was. Roberts was a non-contributor to that team. I can’t say I be same about Markakis, he just caught a tough break from CC. The first time we make the playoffs after all those years and those two weren’t factors in the playoffs. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...