Tony-OH

Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is the type of move I wouldn't expect to see from Dan or Andy.

The Orioles under Dan had a shot at contending, so trading Mancini wouldn't have made sense.  Under Andy it maybe wouldn't have made sense either because those teams were closer to contending than this one.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is the type of move I wouldn't expect to see from Dan or Andy.

I think current circumstances kind of compel considering it, with Mountcastle needing a 1B/DH spot and Sisco possibly needing one at least part-time.    The calculus is affected by whether Davis plays his way off the team or not.   

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

.  I assume you are only and strictly referring to the sample size of the last 21 games when you are making these comparisons.  Davis OPS of .952 is only for the last 21 games.  He stands at .666 OPS overall for the year.  Trey Mancini is at .914 for the year to lead this team to date and Dwight Smith at .844 and they both have substantially more plate appearances thus far (more than 50 more) than Davis. 

Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves.  

Yeah, TonyP and I are only talking about 4/13-forward.

5 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

The Orioles under Dan had a shot at contending, so trading Mancini wouldn't have made sense.  Under Andy it maybe wouldn't have made sense either because those teams were closer to contending than this one.

I don't think that it is the type of move that Dan or Andy would make if they found themselves in this situation.

Just now, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, TonyP and I are only talking about 4/13-forward.

I expect regression from  Davis from the last 21 games as pitchers readjust, but we shall see.  If he is over .700 OPS at season’s end, I will be surprised. 

6 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Trade Mancini? He should be playing 1st. Davis should be in Texas fishing. 

A contender like the Tampa Bay Rays could use a slugger at 1B.  What if you could trade Mancini to Tampa for two top prospects and three good ones?   A team like Tampa especially would highly value Mancini because he's cheap.  Depends who the guys are, but that's how the O's get better faster.  

Just now, CheeryO said:

A contender like the Tampa Bay Rays could use a slugger at 1B.  What if you could trade Mancini to Tampa for two top prospects and three good ones?   A team like Tampa especially would highly value Mancini because he's cheap.  Depends who the guys are, but that's how the O's get better faster.  

I don't see Mancini bringing back two top prospects and three good ones.  How are you defining top and good?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think that it is the type of move that Dan or Andy would make if they found themselves in this situation.

Was that clearer? 

Yeah that's clearer, but I don't see why Dan or Andy would not trade Mancini in the same situation.  It's old man Angelos who likely wouldn't trade him.

3 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

You are right. I was thinking wrong. 

1 minute ago, CheeryO said:

Yeah that's clearer, but I don't see why Dan or Andy would not trade Mancini in the same situation.  It's old man Angelos who likely wouldn't trade him.

Too much team control left. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see Mancini bringing back two top prospects and three good ones.  How are you defining top and good?

Top means better than good.  Good means better than pretty good.  OK, you got me, one top prospect, two good ones, and two OK ones.

Just now, CheeryO said:

Top means better than good.  Good means better than pretty good.  OK, you got me, one top prospect, two good ones, and two OK ones.

Top equals top 10?  Good equals top 30?  Something like that? 

The O's are also to the point where they need to worry about if the guys they acquire need to go on the 40.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to trade Mancini.  Relatively young, cheap, mashing.  Those are the types of players we've been whining that we don't have for years.

It's cavalier thinking that Mountcastle is going to produce in the majors and that we should just hand him a spot because..well, prospect status.  

5 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

I'm not trying to pin you down to bring this up later, I'm curious.

I'm having a hard time guessing what is value actually is.

On one hand he's a bat only right handed hitter.  On the other hand he's been pretty productive in that role two of the last three seasons.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure why anyone would want to trade Mancini.  Relatively young, cheap, mashing.  Those are the types of players we've been whining that we don't have for years.

It's cavalier thinking that Mountcastle is going to produce in the majors and that we should just hand him a spot because..well, prospect status.  

What do horses have to do with anything?

You trade Mancini because he isn't going to be around and affordable when the O's window opens again.  Are you looking to extend him?