Jump to content
Tony-OH

Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Too much team control left. 

I see your point.  Most decent or even bad teams would normally think about trading a cheap player as good as Mancini unless they were really stacked with players.  But these Orioles are really, really, really bad.  I think even Dan and Andy would have their hands forced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure why anyone would want to trade Mancini.  Relatively young, cheap, mashing.  Those are the types of players we've been whining that we don't have for years.

It's cavalier thinking that Mountcastle is going to produce in the majors and that we should just hand him a spot because..well, prospect status.  

If Mountcastle fails to produce you would still have the prospects you traded Mancini for.  The point is a) will Mancini still be around by the time the O's can seriously contend again, and b) if he is still around will he still be this good or will he be too expensive?  Replacing a player like Mancini isn't easy, but it's easier than finding good pitching prospects or infielders to load up on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not trying to pin you down to bring this up later, I'm curious.

I'm having a hard time guessing what is value actually is.

On one hand he's a bat only right handed hitter.  On the other hand he's been pretty productive in that role two of the last three seasons.

I think Mancini's value is greatest to a team like Tampa, who could use a top 1B/DH type, who is a contender yet could every well get taken over by New York or Boston, and who doesn't want to spend a lot of money.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

.  I assume you are only and strictly referring to the sample size of the last 21 games when you are making these comparisons.  Davis OPS of .952 is only for the last 21 games.  He stands at .666 OPS overall for the year.  Trey Mancini is at .914 for the year to lead this team to date and Dwight Smith at .844 and they both have substantially more plate appearances thus far (more than 50 more) than Davis. 

Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves.  

And Trey Mancini is a keeper. I don't want him traded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

And Trey Mancini is a keeper. I don't want him traded.

Didn't you want Trumbo and Davis back?

How's that working out for the team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

And Trey Mancini is a keeper. I don't want him traded.

Could very well be Peter Angelos' last words. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What do horses have to do with anything?

 

You trade Mancini because he isn't going to be around and affordable when the O's window opens again.  Are you looking to extend him?

What else does the crystal ball say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't you want Trumbo and Davis back?

How's that working out for the team?

Checks front office roster. 
Doesn't see Roy's name listed.

In other words, his opinion carries the same weight as yours or mine or any of us here on OH in terms of actual front office decisions.  Zero, zip, nada.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

A contender like the Tampa Bay Rays could use a slugger at 1B.  What if you could trade Mancini to Tampa for two top prospects and three good ones?   A team like Tampa especially would highly value Mancini because he's cheap.  Depends who the guys are, but that's how the O's get better faster.  

The Rays had CJ  Cron at 1B last season. He hit 30 HR, OPS'd .816 and earned 2.0 rWAR. The Rays DFA'd Cron and the Twins claimed him off of waivers. They aren't giving up any prospects for Mancini. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

If Mountcastle fails to produce you would still have the prospects you traded Mancini for.  The point is a) will Mancini still be around by the time the O's can seriously contend again, and b) if he is still around will he still be this good or will he be too expensive?  Replacing a player like Mancini isn't easy, but it's easier than finding good pitching prospects or infielders to load up on.

I think Mancini has more value to us by keeping him than trading for prospects.  I think the Orioles can contend again in 3 years, perhaps 4.  Who knows if Mancini will still be producing then but he's the type I'd like to extend now.  

This is a very different conversation without the Davis conundrum.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Checks front office roster. 
Doesn't see Roy's name listed.

In other words, his opinion carries the same weight as yours or mine or any of us here on OH in terms of actual front office decisions.  Zero, zip, nada.

Did I say otherwise?

Not sure why you felt a need to inform me of something you knew I knew.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Mancini has more value to us by keeping him than trading for prospects.  I think the Orioles can contend again in 3 years, perhaps 4.  Who knows if Mancini will still be producing then but he's the type I'd like to extend now.  

This is a very different conversation without the Davis conundrum.  

If the only thing keeping us from contending in 3-4 years is a one-dimensional right-handed hitter, I'm pretty sure Elias will be able to find one somewhere. Trade Trey for what you can get.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What do horses have to do with anything?

 

You trade Mancini because he isn't going to be around and affordable when the O's window opens again.  Are you looking to extend him?

I am a huge Mancini fan but I agree with you.  The Orioles MUST sell high on anyone on this current team that is anywhere close to peak performance this year.  We cannot just hold any assets at all on this roster at this point.   And with his years of control, flexibility of playing two spots and DH, age, and performance this year, you have to move Trey if you can get good prospects....just as an example, if Cleveland decides to be a buyer and chase the Twins, they could use his bat.  At least two or three of their top 10 would have to come back, say Triston McKenzie, Luis Oveido, Ethan Hankins  all in the 19-21 year prospect range and all projectable. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Mancini has more value to us by keeping him than trading for prospects.  I think the Orioles can contend again in 3 years, perhaps 4.  Who knows if Mancini will still be producing then but he's the type I'd like to extend now.  

This is a very different conversation without the Davis conundrum.  

I don't want to ever pay a bat first player arb 3 money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

And Trey Mancini is a keeper. I don't want him traded.

I am his biggest fan too, but that is really why I think he has to be moved.  See my comment above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...