Jump to content
orpheus100

Is this team worse than last year?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

11-34 over the last 45. Rotation is in shambles. It could get worse as the innings mount and if we sell off Bundy/Cashner. 

I dont think the return is enough to sell off Bundy/Cashner. This team needs those two to keep from going 35-127 or something close to it. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I dont think the return is enough to sell off Bundy/Cashner. This team needs those two to keep from going 35-127 or something close to it. 

I agree.  I mean, I think we sell off Cashner because it's either get SOMETHING back in return or just let him walk at the end of the season.  IIRC, he's got an option but I dunno if it gets picked up.

But the return won't be great.  I think it'd be in line with the type of talent we got for Gausman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.  I mean, I think we sell off Cashner because it's either get SOMETHING back in return or just let him walk at the end of the season.  IIRC, he's got an option but I dunno if it gets picked up.

But the return won't be great.  I think it'd be in line with the type of talent we got for Gausman.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/baltimore-orioles/andrew-cashner-7263/

Quote

2020 Option vest with 340 IP across 2018-2019 (153 in 2018), 360 IP+ makes it a player option

According to this the contract option goes if he gets 207 IP this year. 

edit: at 54.1 @ game 50.  So he's on pace for more like 170.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/baltimore-orioles/andrew-cashner-7263/

According to this the contract option goes if he gets 207 IP this year. 

edit: at 54.1 @ game 50.  So he's on pace for more like 170.

 

The option becomes a player option at 207, which will never happen.   The option vests at 187, which is highly unlikely, but possible.   But the O’s (or the team we trade him to) still hold the option regardless of innings.   Let’s say he only throws 170 innings but his ERA hovers around 4.00.   A $10 mm option might get exercised.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, orpheus100 said:

They have only won 6 home games.

Gotta be a bit delusional to think they win more than last year

Just irrational. Just that it is tough to repeat a season that was one of the worst in major league history. Lost 62 games on the road last year .I think the third most ever in the AL..The record for the AL is 64. We shall see.Still expect 100 or more losses.The Tigers series should be must see .Tigers have lost nine straight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Just irrational. Just that it is tough to repeat a season that was one of the worst in major league history. Lost 62 games on the road last year .I think the third most ever in the AL..The record for the AL is 64. We shall see.Still expect 100 or more losses.The Tigers series should be must see .Tigers have lost nine straight. 

Seems like everyone is trying to tank this year. Both the Marlins and the Tiger have no hitting. With all the teams trying to be terrible not everyone is going to get better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tigers and Marlins are the only two even close to as bad as us in run differential. That sweep by the Marlins of the Tigers makes me worry that Detroit could be in for some terrible results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 10:54 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

At least you're consistent.  Everything is always a failure.  Even unknowns that won't happen for years.  Even when the organization fails, and then tries a completely different strategy in a different direction.

You're failing Seymour!!! What is it about you and failure???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Just irrational. Just that it is tough to repeat a season that was one of the worst in major league history. Lost 62 games on the road last year .I think the third most ever in the AL..The record for the AL is 64. We shall see.Still expect 100 or more losses.The Tigers series should be must see .Tigers have lost nine straight. 

They're on pace to be just as bad or worse. They still have some long West Coast road trips left. They get Gleyber Torres a bunch still. I agree it is hard to be as bad as the Orioles were last year, but they're certainly trying their best to be as bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, theocean said:

They're on pace to be just as bad or worse. They still have some long West Coast road trips left. They get Gleyber Torres a bunch still. I agree it is hard to be as bad as the Orioles were last year, but they're certainly trying their best to be as bad.

From a W/L perspective, they might be worse.  But from a perspective of playing to their talent level, I think this team is better.  Last years team didn't play to it's talent level, IMO.

That's really hard to say as they're going to surpass the record of homers allowed by a good chunk.  It's hard to consider that better than last years team.

But I think the correct question here, the question that people aren't asking is....Is this FRANCHISE in a better place than it was this time last year?  

100% yes.  No question.

Buck, as much as I loved him, is gone.  Jones, as much as I loved him, is gone, along with his declining skill set.  DD, who I always will maintain was fighting with one hand tied behind his back....gone.  

Sons have taken over.  Got a young, analytics, forward thinking GM who helped build a winner.  Brought his sidekick along, too.  #1 overall draft pick coming up soon.  Some good young talent in the minors that is making noise.  Maybe the trades we made at the deadline last year didn't yield immediate results but it looks like last years first pick is turning into a stud.  DJ Stewart and Mountcastle are mashing.  

I would take this current situation every single time over the rotting husk of last years team/franchise.  If many of us have acknowledged that this year didn't matter from a W/L perspective, what are we doing worrying about if this TEAM is better?  This FRANCHISE is better.  100%, no doubt in my mind.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

11-34 over the last 45. Rotation is in shambles. It could get worse as the innings mount and if we sell off Bundy/Cashner. 

Mariners are 10-27 in their last 37 and their pitching is actually worse than the O's. And they started the season 13-2. Can you imagine that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Mariners are 10-27 in their last 37 and their pitching is actually worse than the O's. And they started the season 13-2. Can you imagine that?

Mike Wright effect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Mariners are 10-27 in their last 37 and their pitching is actually worse than the O's. And they started the season 13-2. Can you imagine that?

This year's version of the 2018 Mets.  They started 13-2 and ended 77-85.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LookinUp said:

The Tigers and Marlins are the only two even close to as bad as us in run differential. That sweep by the Marlins of the Tigers makes me worry that Detroit could be in for some terrible results.

Tigers scored 9 today.Marlins scored 10 and lost.Many runs today and ball flying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Davis breaks a all time record for no hits. Our pitching has broken records for giving up home runs. When we start breaking record that has stood for a 150 years. Dude that is all time bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...