orpheus100

Is this team worse than last year?

Royals and Orioles now tied for worst record in majors. The August 19 series and then the week after in KC should be must see TV. Marlins are 13-5 since may 17th. have had a six game winning streak and now have a four game winning streak.   Still many bad teams and a long way to go. #1 pick may not be as easy this year. 

23 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Royals and Orioles now tied for worst record in majors. The August 19 series and then the week after in KC should be must see TV. Marlins are 13-5 since may 17th. have had a six game winning streak and now have a four game winning streak.   Still many bad teams and a long way to go. #1 pick may not be as easy this year. 

I noticed this morning that on BBRef, they don't even list us in the Wildcard standings.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Could have the third worst record by Thursday in baseball.Trending to 56 wins.😀

Hey it’s almost like the 89 Orioles Why Not! team. 😛

I just want a team that can get in the way of the Yankees. Unfortunately, the Rays are probably going to get our best later this season as we’ve already played the Yankees a ton. 

Blue Jays look as bad or even worse then the Orioles right now.Tough to win only 47 games Still think 50's to near 60 wins.Again so many bad teams.Marlins are back to being the Marlins.Royals won ,so keeping pace with the Orioles for worst record. Blue Jay's have lost 15 of their last 18.

43 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Blue Jays look as bad or even worse then the Orioles right now.Tough to win only 47 games Still think 50's to near 60 wins.

I don’t see how we do better than low 50’s.   We are on pace for that now, and I think we’ll stay there.  

On 6/9/2019 at 3:16 PM, tntoriole said:

This team is just as awful as last year’s group. 

Maybe if we're strictly going by record.  But I still maintain that as far as playing to their respective talent levels, last years team was far worse.  Last years team had some good players...I didn't think it was a playoff bound team but I didn't think they were THAT bad headed into the season.  

This years team might end up with close to the same record but I think they're playing closer to their talent level.  They're certainly way more interesting to watch, IMO.  As bad as it can look at times, I'd much rather watch this team than last years bunch.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe if we're strictly going by record.  But I still maintain that as far as playing to their respective talent levels, last years team was far worse.  Last years team had some good players...I didn't think it was a playoff bound team but I didn't think they were THAT bad headed into the season.  

This years team might end up with close to the same record but I think they're playing closer to their talent level.  They're certainly way more interesting to watch, IMO.  As bad as it can look at times, I'd much rather watch this team than last years bunch.

I guess I’m more agnostic than many people about “enjoying” a losing team (or finding them more “interesting”) because they’re playing closer to their potential.   I don’t enjoy winning fewer than one out of every three games, period.   And I don’t find it interesting.   All I can say is that I’m more emotionally prepared for it this year, because I expected it.   So, I’m less disappointed.    

Just now, Frobby said:

I guess I’m more agnostic than many people about “enjoying” a losing team because they’re playing closer to their potential.   I don’t enjoy winning fewer than one out of every three games, period.   All I can say is that I’m more emotionally prepared for it this year, because I expected it.   So, I’m less disappointed.    

I agree, this plays a part of it, too.  I thought last years team could win 80-82 games if everything broke right, more likely they'd be around 72 wins.  

Was fully prepared to expect a terrible team this year.  But part of the fun for me is seeing guys like Means, Nunez, Alberto, DSJR and others step up and play well.  Means might be a nugget.  The rest might not be, but the idea that Nunez can hit 30+ homers this year is fun.  Seeing Alberto hit .300 even though his OBP might be .301 is still fun, too.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, this plays a part of it, too.  I thought last years team could win 80-82 games if everything broke right, more likely they'd be around 72 wins.  

Was fully prepared to expect a terrible team this year.  But part of the fun for me is seeing guys like Means, Nunez, Alberto, DSJR and others step up and play well.  Means might be a nugget.  The rest might not be, but the idea that Nunez can hit 30+ homers this year is fun.  Seeing Alberto hit .300 even though his OBP might be .301 is still fun, too.

OK, I will give you that.   I still enjoy the good/interesting individual performances.    And I do like the wins when they come.   

I have to say, I’m looking forward to the day when some of our better MiL prospects, who I’ve invested a lot of hope in, reach the majors.    I have trouble getting excited over the guys who’ve been in the organization for five minutes, even when they’re doing better than expected.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

OK, I will give you that.   I still enjoy the good/interesting individual performances.    And I do like the wins when they come.   

I have to say, I’m looking forward to the day when some of our better MiL prospects, who I’ve invested a lot of hope in, reach the majors.    I have trouble getting excited over the guys who’ve been in the organization for five minutes, even when they’re doing better than expected.   

Yeah, I think we're all looking forward to seeing Mountcastle, Diaz, Hays, etc reach Baltimore.   So far, I think that's one of the disappointments of this season, that one of those guys haven't been called up yet.  There's a lot of baseball left though.  And I know Diaz and Hays have been battling injuries which plays a part, too.  

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I watch less than last year so that helps some.  My mood is better about the team because they are rebuilding so I cut them much more slack than last year.  And I think I was tired of Buck and his veteran style of managing and he was tired of us and I think the team last year just quit after the mid season deals.    But just performance wise they are as bad just in a different way. 

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I watch less than last year so that helps some.  My mood is better about the team because they are rebuilding so I cut them much more slack than last year.  And I think I was tired of Buck and his veteran style of managing and he was tired of us and I think the team last year just quit after the mid season deals.    But just performance wise they are as bad just in a different way. 

I agree on being tired.  Looking back on it, I was just tired of a lot of the players, too.  

I feel a little bad saying this, but looking back on it, I think I was tired of Jones.  I'm not saying I don't like Jones...just tired of the declining defense, swinging at sliders in the dirt.  I was kind of tired of Manny, in a weird way.  Maybe just more tired of the impending doom of having to trade him because they boofed the pooch when it came to locking him up early.

Tired of Buck, too.  Not saying I don't like any of those guys and don't appreciate what they did while they were here...just needed a refresh.  

In other words, I don't find myself saying "Man, I wish Jones was still here," etc.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1