orpheus100

Is this team worse than last year?

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I recall some O's fans complaining about how a season ending sweep of the Yanks cost them Texeria.

That draft actually shows pretty well why a top-5 pick is still a desirable place to be for a rebuilding team, despite the fact that you can find a David Wright at pick #38:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2001&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Let's look at the top 10 in WAR (from ESPN) and see where/how they were added to their first team.

1-fourth round pick

2- 25th pick

3- 7th pick

4- 23rd pick

5-  39th pick

6- International

6- 11th pick

8- International

9- 25th pick

10- 2nd pick

This is just a moment in time of course but I do think it shows that picking #1 overall isn't essential.

Adley will bust this trend!!  😃

Aside from Davis and some of the starting pitching, this team has actually become watchable.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Aside from Davis and some of the starting pitching, this team has actually become watchable.  

If they had some middling SP they would be a .500 team

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ruzious said:

o

Good post, and I agree ........ although I must admit, considering that the team's  overall winning percentage is still well under .400, that old saying went through my head when I thought about it ........ "Other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln ???"

o

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I recall some O's fans complaining about how a season ending sweep of the Yanks cost them Texeria.

I don't recall that, but I wasn't in Baltimore and wouldn't have heard those comments on sports radio or word of mouth. 

Teixeira was the fifth player taken in the the 2001 draft, so he obviously wasn't seen as a by-far-the-best-player-out-there type. (Joe Mauer was the first player taken.) The Orioles had the seventh pick, with which they took Chris Smith. Smith got as high as Delmarva. 

Were the fan complaints about the season-ending sweep that (maybe) cost them Teixeira more like "We've been following this local phenom since he was in high school, and wouldn't it be great to have him play for his hometown team" as opposed to "We missed out on a huge talent and potential star who would have helped the team a lot"?  If so, it's really a different situation from the one I wondered about: whether there ever has been a situation in which, even with hindsight, a team or its fans expressed regret about not losing more games and getting a shot at a higher draft choice who would have improved the team.

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't recall that, but I wasn't in Baltimore and wouldn't have heard those comments on sports radio or word of mouth. 

Teixeira was the fifth player taken in the the 2001 draft, so he obviously wasn't seen as a by-far-the-best-player-out-there type. (Joe Mauer was the first player taken.) The Orioles had the seventh pick, with which they took Chris Smith. Smith got as high as Delmarva. 

Were the fan complaints about the season-ending sweep that (maybe) cost them Teixeira more like "We've been following this local phenom since he was in high school, and wouldn't it be great to have him play for his hometown team" as opposed to "We missed out on a huge talent and potential star who would have helped the team a lot"?  If so, it's really a different situation from the one I wondered about: whether there ever has been a situation in which, even with hindsight, a team or its fans expressed regret about not losing more games and getting a shot at a higher draft choice who would have improved the team.

I didn't hear it in 2001, it may have been going on it may not have.  I heard about it later when Tex was a ML player and Smith was a bust.  Him being a local boy was part of it I am sure.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

.....and he ended up being a Yankee fan the entire time anyway.

11 hours ago, Ruzious said:

More than watchable. Even Davis has shown a little life lately.

1 minute ago, theocean said:

.....and he ended up being a Yankee fan the entire time anyway.

When has anything good come out of Severna Park?  😉

o

(SEPTEMBER 11th)

The 2019 Orioles have matched the 2018 Orioles' win total, and they have 17 games left to play.

o

4 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(SEPTEMBER 11th)

The 2019 Orioles have matched the 2018 Orioles' win total, and they have 17 games left to play.

o

Anybody remember in 2012 when SteveA posted every time the Orioles surpassed the win total of one of the terrible 1998-2011 teams? Those were ridiculously cathartic. I wish they were all in one place for posterity.

On 8/6/2019 at 10:31 AM, theocean said:

More than watchable. Even Davis has shown a little life lately.

That didn't last long.

Hyde on whether 47 wins is important:“It’s not important to me. For me that’s last year, this is this year. We want to get better every year. I don’t think 47 wins is anything to celebrate. We’ll celebrate when we get 95.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/means-offers-quality-and-villar-breaks-tie-in-7-3-win.html

Amen to that.