orpheus100

Is this team worse than last year?

44 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(SEPTEMBER 11th)

The 2019 Orioles have matched the 2018 Orioles' win total, and they have 17 games left to play.

o

1 against LAD, 4 against Detroit, 6 against Toronto, 3 against Seattle  , 3 against Red Sox

Maybe 10-7 or 7-10.  

I had to readjust my hopes of avoiding 100 losses some time ago (I’ll always believe in our guys, but 16-1 is a tall task for even Goliathan teams), but maybe 60 wins is still within sight, if but a blip on the screen for now.

Anything less than a sweep against Detroit will be confounding. I think we can get 4 or even 5 from Toronto, and at least 2 from Seattle. Boston will likely be in chicken-and-beer mode, so maybe we can steal a couple up there as well.

So, while it’s narrower than a tightrope, there is indeed a path to 60. We’ll see. (And there’s still tonight…with Dylan going, we’ll have a shot.)

On 8/5/2019 at 6:58 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't hear it in 2001, it may have been going on it may not have.  I heard about it later when Tex was a ML player and Smith was a bust.  Him being a local boy was part of it I am sure.

So I was going to come up with a snarky, silly Chris Smith bit... but did you know that the year before the O's drafted him he pitched 4 2/3rds innings for Florida State?  And his freshman year, the prior season, he pitched 11 2/3rds?  If the Baseball Cube's numbers are right Smith threw 16 innings in college.

Something strange... bb-ref says he was drafted out of Cumberland University.  So maybe he transferred to become a pitcher in '01?  The Cube doesn't have any college stats for him the year he was drafted. Okay, an old Sun article says: (sorry, the quote below should break after the 2nd paragraph, but the formatting is screwed up in a way I can't fix.)

"Smith, 21, went 9-2 with seven complete games and a 2.13 ERA in 15 games at Cumberland, an NAIA school in Lebanon, Tenn. He allowed 58 hits, walked 34 and struck out 115 in 84 1/3 innings, and opponents batted .194 against him.

Ranked with Stanford's Mike Gosling as the best arms among college left-handers in the draft, Smith possesses a fastball that tops out at 94 mph and a developing curve and changeup."

In any case, the O's took a pitcher with the #7 overall pick who had to transfer to an NAIA college to really start pitching, after hitting .375/.459/.635 at Florida State as a sophomore.  And at Cumberland he hit .414/17/67 with 18 steals.

They took a guy who would have been a fairly high pick as an outfielder and turned him into a pitcher who was hurt essentially from day one.  Oh well, even if they hadn't swept the Yanks they probably would have taken Smith anyway at #5.  It was Syd Thrift's Orioles, it's just what they did.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:39 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(SEPTEMBER 11th)

The 2019 Orioles have matched the 2018 Orioles' win total, and they have 17 games left to play.

o

o

(SEPTEMBER 22nd)

The Orioles are 51-105 overall, with 6 games still left to be played.

o

20 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(SEPTEMBER 22nd)

o

Not much difference between 51-111 and 57-105.  The only thing left to decide is whether they are drafting #2 or #3 overall. Looks like #2 is the most likely scenario. 

Also if they win 4 more games they will be better than the 1988 club.  

7 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(SEPTEMBER 22nd)

o

I didn't see it earlier in the season. I really didn't think they would match last years total, much less beat it. 

5 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I didn't see it earlier in the season. I really didn't think they would match last years total, much less beat it. 

I didn't know what to expect, but this team has a lot more hustle and heart than last year's team. The Orioles were pretty much a zombie team from mid-April until October in 2018. The team pretty much mailed in the season and everyone knew the band was going to break up.

This year's team has players fighting to establish themselves as major league players. I can watch a game this year because you can see most players give a damn. Watching the 2018 Orioles, you got a feeling they were worried they would miss a late dinner reservation. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I didn't know what to expect, but this team has a lot more hustle and heart than last year's team. The Orioles were pretty much a zombie team from mid-April until October in 2018. The team pretty much mailed in the season and everyone knew the band was going to break up.

This year's team has players fighting to establish themselves as major league players. I can watch a game this year because you can see most players give a damn. Watching the 2018 Orioles, you got a feeling they were worried they would miss a late dinner reservation. 

One of the worst things in sports is a veteran team that's been essentially eliminated the first month or two of the season.  It's extremely difficult to get motivated for five months of pretty meaningless daily grind when your job isn't on the line.