orpheus100

Is this team worse than last year?

4 hours ago, orpheus100 said:

It's hard to say. The Marlins could be the worst team of all time

They just won 3 straight.

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

If someone wants to switch allegiances more power to them.  1998 to 2011 was a lot better than this. We have next to no talent on this team.  Who is our best position player?  Mancini?  A guy who is the worst regular outfield the team has ever put out there?

what was the worst team in the 14 losing seasons?  The 2010 team? That team had Wieters, Jones, Markakis Brian Roberts and Luke Scott.  This year we have a whole lot of nothing.

Between 1998-2011 the Orioles lost 90+ games nine times.

If Elias gets it right, the Orioles are turned around in five years. That is a hell of a lot better than going 14 seasons with a losing record.

Also I don't care about winning 75 games, I want the Orioles to win a world series. Elias is going to run his version of what the Astros did and that doesn't involve overpaying players to look "respectable".  I don't get this obsession with living in the now and hoping to eek out a .500 season. Have a long term vision and take the medicine that is losing this year and for the next few years.

• Upvote 1

I do not think they are worse than last year. It can be painful to watch at times, but they have glimmers of decency occasionally and you can see they hate to lose. Just a very young team, short on pitching talent. The defense is actually much improved.

They lost Manny, Schoop, Jones, and Gausman, getting practically nothing immediately useful back. It would be a surprise if they were better than last year.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Really there is no reason to watch a bunch of DFAs and Rule 5 picks struggle through a season when most of them will be out of baseball In a couple of years.   

This a bratty, myopic take. I can only imagine what you’d come up with when you find out Dwight Smith has a longer career than DJ Stewart.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They lost Manny, Schoop, Jones, and Gausman, getting practically nothing immediately useful back. It would be a surprise if they were better than last year.

And Brach and Britton, too--both former All-Stars. I'm impressed that nonetheless the team has a better winning percentage than last year's.

54 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Between 1998-2011 the Orioles lost 90+ games nine times.

If Elias gets it right, the Orioles are turned around in five years. That is a hell of a lot better than going 14 seasons with a losing record.

Also I don't care about winning 75 games, I want the Orioles to win a world series. Elias is going to run his version of what the Astros did and that doesn't involve overpaying players to look "respectable".  I don't get this obsession with living in the now and hoping to eek out a .500 season. Have a long term vision and take the medicine that is losing this year and for the next few years.

The Nationals did the Astros strategy and had the same success rate we just had. The Astros plan has no guarantees and we didn’t get the Astros GM.  

Also I don’t believe the strategy to be the worst should be rewarded.  MLB should institute a draft lottery like the NBA uses.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

This a bratty, myopic take. I can only imagine what you’d come up with when you find out Dwight Smith has a longer career than DJ Stewart.

Dwight Smith JR last year was 25 in triple A and had .771 OPS.  This year DJ Stewart 25 in triple A has .985 OPS.  Similar scenarios when they were 23 in AA.  Man your guys live in some alternate reality universe.

8 hours ago, atomic said:

Also I don’t believe the strategy to be the worst should be rewarded.  MLB should institute a draft lottery like the NBA uses.  

Just as soon as they do that teams will change their behavior, to some extent.  But until then they'll follow the current incentives.  You're asking teams to follow an illogical path to satisfy your desire to win a few more games this year.

Even with a draft lottery you still have the illogic of putting resources into a non-contending payroll.  If you have a 65-win team there is no reason to spend $70M to get yourself into the mid-70s in wins.  That's going to be a negative ROI.  The incentives have to be much higher, or the disincentives.  Like in a promotion/relegation league, where if you finish in the bottom three you lose 75% of your revenues and get sent to a lower league.  That simply isn't happening in the Majors, ever.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Just as soon as they do that teams will change their behavior, to some extent.  But until then they'll follow the current incentives.  You're asking teams to follow an illogical path to satisfy your desire to win a few more games this year.

Even with a draft lottery you still have the illogic of putting resources into a non-contending payroll.  If you have a 65-win team there is no reason to spend $70M to get yourself into the mid-70s in wins.  That's going to be a negative ROI.  The incentives have to be much higher, or the disincentives.  Like in a promotion/relegation league, where if you finish in the bottom three you lose 75% of your revenues and get sent to a lower league.  That simply isn't happening in the Majors, ever.

So in the alternate reality universe where Drungo is in charge of MLB you'd see teams like the Marlins be threatened to be 'demoted' to AAA status or something and replaced with a successful minor league team?   Independent league team?

There supposed to be worse than last year. Last year they had some good players before the deadline.

this season is bad and that’s before trading away Villar, Cashner, and perhaps Mancini