orpheus100

Is this team worse than last year?

I think this team will finish with a better record than in 2018.    They are less talented than the pre-deadline 2018 team but seem to play together a little better.    

For what it’s worth, after 46 games, last year’s team had scored 186 runs and allowed 254 (-68 run differential).    This year’s team has scored 176 and allowed 271 (-95 run differential).    So even though this year’s team has one more win than last year’s at this point, they arguably are playing worse.    

14 hours ago, AndresMora said:

This isn't a professional sports franchise.  It's a running joke and a national embarrassment.  That 2 run double play ball the other day sums up the whole outfit. Calling it AAA is generous.  The fans shouldn't be insulted by being asked to support this laughable crap.  Angelos is a con man and a disgrace..  I've watched them for 50 some years but don't really care if they fold or move.  This is horrendous.

Are you aware that the franchise has new leadership, including the fact that Peter Angelos is not making any decisions for the team any longer? Are you aware they are in a complete rebuild that will take probably 3 years before a reasonable team could be put together to threaten to compete? Had this rant happened before Mike Elias was hired, it could be understandable but it's almost like you haven't been paying much attention.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Worst run differential in the majors and only a game up on the Marlins

They are not going to relinquish their second consecutive 1-1 without a fight.

Marlins have two legitimate starting pitchers that are way better than anything the O's have.

I hope not, but this team goes into every game as the underdog and is the least talented team in the American League. Trust me, I realize how hard it is to watch on daily basis. 10-0 defeats are not fun to watch, and especially awful when you have a TV announcer acting like they just hit a walk off home run when Villar makes a nice play to stop the bleeding when they were already down 8-0. 

I still think this team will end up around 55-60 wins this season, but the best thing about this year so far for this organization is the young pitching progress in the minors. DL Hall, Grayson Rodriguez, Dean Kremer, Zac Lowther, Drew Rom, Michael Baumann have all pitched really well and are just a few of the pitchers have taken steps forward.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No. Just no.  Do you not remember 30-3?  Do you not remember Raffy wagging his finger at Congress?  Or the deaths of Steve Bechler and Mike Flanagan? Or the year they ended the season 4-32?  Or Chris Smith, Matt Hobgood, Adam Loewen, Josh Cenate, Keith Reed, Rich Stahl, Mike Paradis, Beau Hale, Wade Townsend, Garret Olson, and Billy Rowell?  Have you forgotten Deivi Cruz?  Jay Gibbons?   Aubrey Huff calling Baltimore a ******* town before he'd played a game here?  Steve Kline ripping the organization in the press.  Felix Pie?  Sammy Sosa!  Beer league softball player Ty Wigginton playing shortstop?  Luis Hernandez starting opening day at shortstop, before being replaced by Freddy Bynum.  The fact that Cesar Izturis was a HUGE upgrade from Hernandez and Bynum.  Karim Garcia playing center field.  Syd Thrift trying to trade for players who were retired or otherwise no longer on the team he was talking to?  Marty Cordova falling asleep in the tanning booth?  Re-signing 40+ versions of Jeff Conine and BJ Surhoff?  Calling up Jeff Fiorentino from A-ball for no apparent reason?  Trading #1 prospect Denny Bautista for 36-year-old middle reliever and PED snitch Jason Grimsley.  Ripping Brian Roberts for not running out every September ground ball on his 9th straight 68-win team.  Surhoff for Trenidad Hubbard, Fernando Lunar, and Luis Rivera.  Ponson drinking and punching his career away.  The Mother's Day massacre.  Daniel Cabrera walking everyone and growing three inches at the age of 24.  The bullpen of Jim Hoey, Rocky Cherry, Victor Santos, Victor Zambrano.  The Jaret Wright experiment.  Brian Matusz' 10.69 ERA.  Derek Lee and Joe Carter.  Garrett Atkins.  Ryan Freel. Matt Riley and his 24 carat arm, 10 cent head.  Russ Ortiz.  Rich Hill.  Hayden Penn, worst baseball name ever.  That's just what I pulled off the top of my head...

All we have today is a year and a couple months of a bad W/L record.

So I guess those scars haven’t healed?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Since the 5th game of the season they are 11 and 30.  That is a 43 win pace. 

Luckily from March 30th to April 2nd they were on a 162-win pace.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No. Just no.  Do you not remember 30-3?  Do you not remember Raffy wagging his finger at Congress?  Or the deaths of Steve Bechler and Mike Flanagan? Or the year they ended the season 4-32?  Or Chris Smith, Matt Hobgood, Adam Loewen, Josh Cenate, Keith Reed, Rich Stahl, Mike Paradis, Beau Hale, Wade Townsend, Garret Olson, and Billy Rowell?  Have you forgotten Deivi Cruz?  Jay Gibbons?   Aubrey Huff calling Baltimore a ******* town before he'd played a game here?  Steve Kline ripping the organization in the press.  Felix Pie?  Sammy Sosa!  Beer league softball player Ty Wigginton playing shortstop?  Luis Hernandez starting opening day at shortstop, before being replaced by Freddy Bynum.  The fact that Cesar Izturis was a HUGE upgrade from Hernandez and Bynum.  Karim Garcia playing center field.  Syd Thrift trying to trade for players who were retired or otherwise no longer on the team he was talking to?  Marty Cordova falling asleep in the tanning booth?  Re-signing 40+ versions of Jeff Conine and BJ Surhoff?  Calling up Jeff Fiorentino from A-ball for no apparent reason?  Trading #1 prospect Denny Bautista for 36-year-old middle reliever and PED snitch Jason Grimsley.  Ripping Brian Roberts for not running out every September ground ball on his 9th straight 68-win team.  Surhoff for Trenidad Hubbard, Fernando Lunar, and Luis Rivera.  Ponson drinking and punching his career away.  The Mother's Day massacre.  Daniel Cabrera walking everyone and growing three inches at the age of 24.  The bullpen of Jim Hoey, Rocky Cherry, Victor Santos, Victor Zambrano.  The Jaret Wright experiment.  Brian Matusz' 10.69 ERA.  Derek Lee and Joe Carter.  Garrett Atkins.  Ryan Freel. Matt Riley and his 24 carat arm, 10 cent head.  Russ Ortiz.  Rich Hill.  Hayden Penn, worst baseball name ever.  That's just what I pulled off the top of my head...

Now that is an epic retelling of some dark times as an Orioles fan! At least now we can have legitimate hope as the organization is being rebuilt in a forward looking manner, rather than by the seat of the pants with no clear line of decision making that has plagued this team since Pat Gillick quit.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No. Just no.  Do you not remember 30-3?  Do you not remember Raffy wagging his finger at Congress?  Or the deaths of Steve Bechler and Mike Flanagan? Or the year they ended the season 4-32?  Or Chris Smith, Matt Hobgood, Adam Loewen, Josh Cenate, Keith Reed, Rich Stahl, Mike Paradis, Beau Hale, Wade Townsend, Garret Olson, and Billy Rowell?  Have you forgotten Deivi Cruz?  Jay Gibbons?   Aubrey Huff calling Baltimore a ******* town before he'd played a game here?  Steve Kline ripping the organization in the press.  Felix Pie?  Sammy Sosa!  Beer league softball player Ty Wigginton playing shortstop?  Luis Hernandez starting opening day at shortstop, before being replaced by Freddy Bynum.  The fact that Cesar Izturis was a HUGE upgrade from Hernandez and Bynum.  Karim Garcia playing center field.  Syd Thrift trying to trade for players who were retired or otherwise no longer on the team he was talking to?  Marty Cordova falling asleep in the tanning booth?  Re-signing 40+ versions of Jeff Conine and BJ Surhoff?  Calling up Jeff Fiorentino from A-ball for no apparent reason?  Trading #1 prospect Denny Bautista for 36-year-old middle reliever and PED snitch Jason Grimsley.  Ripping Brian Roberts for not running out every September ground ball on his 9th straight 68-win team.  Surhoff for Trenidad Hubbard, Fernando Lunar, and Luis Rivera.  Ponson drinking and punching his career away.  The Mother's Day massacre.  Daniel Cabrera walking everyone and growing three inches at the age of 24.  The bullpen of Jim Hoey, Rocky Cherry, Victor Santos, Victor Zambrano.  The Jaret Wright experiment.  Brian Matusz' 10.69 ERA.  Derek Lee and Joe Carter.  Garrett Atkins.  Ryan Freel. Matt Riley and his 24 carat arm, 10 cent head.  Russ Ortiz.  Rich Hill.  Hayden Penn, worst baseball name ever.  That's just what I pulled off the top of my head...

This is beautiful. Well done! Goodness. I had forgotten some of these.

36 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Just as soon as they do that teams will change their behavior, to some extent.  But until then they'll follow the current incentives.  You're asking teams to follow an illogical path to satisfy your desire to win a few more games this year.

Even with a draft lottery you still have the illogic of putting resources into a non-contending payroll.  If you have a 65-win team there is no reason to spend $70M to get yourself into the mid-70s in wins.  That's going to be a negative ROI.  The incentives have to be much higher, or the disincentives.  Like in a promotion/relegation league, where if you finish in the bottom three you lose 75% of your revenues and get sent to a lower league.  That simply isn't happening in the Majors, ever.

This is so logical, yet it seems to be so hard for some to understand.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is beautiful. Well done! Goodness. I had forgotten some of these.

More pop in my head that I forgot.  Leo Mazzone and Sam Perlozzo.  Starting 2010 2-15.  Releasing Justin Turner.  The Brad Bergesen commercial filming injury.  Ryan Kohlmeier's 7.30 ERA the year he started the season as the closer.  Leslie Brea.  Moving Delino DeShields to the outfield.  Attendance falling from 3.68M to 1.76M.

26 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nice dark days player summary. Let's not forget how the team was run. Losing a AAA home after 41 years in Rochester because of bad product and how it was run. At the time the longest running affiliation between a major- league and Triple A team at the time. Ending up in Ottawa with no fans and a sad stadium . Spring Training in Miami with the weight room or so called under a tent that leaked. Being a Spring Training nomad for many years. Teams would not play on the Orioles minor league Spring Training field due to terrible field conditions. Had an agreement to move the AAA team to Harrisburg but messed that up by asking for more concessions from the state and city. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I love this! Let's not forget Paul Shuey or the Killer B's in Berken and Bergesen. Who can forget Vladimir Guerrero collecting one last paycheck before Cooperstown?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Luckily from March 30th to April 2nd they were on a 162-win pace.

Also Elias is explicitly not trying to win this year. Anyone who is feigning disappointment is being disingenuous or not paying attention to the plan. 

Who cares if Elias made an effort to add veterans and win 75 games. Is that a proper use of resources for a team that does not have unlimited funds like the Yankees or Dodgers?