Jump to content
Greg Pappas

O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

Recommended Posts

Is there any early favorites to go number 1? I've seen Spencer Torkelson, but apparently he's another 1B type. How does he compare to Vaughn?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Is there any early favorites to go number 1? I've seen Spencer Torkelson, but apparently he's another 1B type. How does he compare to Vaughn?

Naturally it's way early, but Fangraphs has a 2020 Top Prospects List.

Quote

1  Emerson Hancock       RHP       21.0      6' 4"/200            R/R              Georgia             

2  Patrick Bailey               C            21.0      6' 2"/192            S/R              North Carolina State                   

3  Spencer Torkelson     1B          20.8      6' 1"/205            R/R              Arizona State                  

4  Cole Wilcox                 RHP       20.9      6' 5"/220            R/R              Georgia             

5  Tanner Burns               RHP       21.4      6' 0"/215            R/R              Auburn              

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of really good college arms next year.

In addition to those guys there is Asa Lacy, JT Ginn, Reid Detmers, Tommy Mace, and Garrett Crochet(personal favorite other than Hancock who is just a monster).

Also there are a couple SEC shortstops named Martin who could be risers. Austin Martin of Vandy whose best tool is hit and Casey Martin of Arkansas who is an 80 runner with sneaky power.

Freddy Zamora of Miami is also worth following, SS, slick fielder, really improved at the plate, another step would put him in the 1-1 debate.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Lots of really good college arms next year.

In addition to those guys there is Asa Lacy, JT Ginn, Reid Detmers, Tommy Mace, and Garrett Crochet(personal favorite other than Hancock who is just a monster).

Also there are a couple SEC shortstops named Martin who could be risers. Austin Martin of Vandy whose best tool is hit and Casey Martin of Arkansas who is an 80 runner with sneaky power.

Freddy Zamora of Miami is also worth following, SS, slick fielder, really improved at the plate, another step would put him in the 1-1 debate.

Miami is the college team I root for, so I watched quite a bit of them this year, and Zamora took a step up with the bat but a step back with the glove, he led the team in errors this year. 

I don't claim to be a scout so I'm not debating him being in the discussion, Im just surprised that Toral isn't the more talked about guy, he has big power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

Miami is the college team I root for, so I watched quite a bit of them this year, and Zamora took a step up with the bat but a step back with the glove, he led the team in errors this year. 

I don't claim to be a scout so I'm not debating him being in the discussion, Im just surprised that Toral isn't the more talked about guy, he has big power. 

He definitely does have big pop, it’s just a hard path for a 1B into the first round, especially one who strikes out a bunch. (His career K rate is 3x as much as 2019 early first round 1B Andrew Vaughn)

Zamora isn’t the most consistent defender, but honestly that’s only a part of what teams look for, he has the range and arm to stick and potentially be above average there. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Luke-OH In regards to the #MLBDraft, the team with the worst record at season's end gets the first pick in the following draft, BUT how is worst record defined? Is it by Winning % (as I suspect) or by Games Back of the Overall League leader? 

I'm asking because of the current situation.  The Marlins have a .311 Winning %, and the O's a .312 Winning %, but we are 1/2 game farther behind the overall league leading Astros. I feel like I've looked this up before, but can't recall for sure. LOL!

Quote

PICK  TEAM    RECORD  WIN%  GB    
1     Miami           14-31    .311    0.5    
2     Baltimore     15-33    .312     --    

   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

@Luke-OH In regards to the #MLBDraft, the team with the worst record at season's end gets the first pick in the following draft, BUT how is worst record defined? Is it by Winning % (as I suspect) or by Games Back of the Overall League leader? 

I'm asking because of the current situation.  The Marlins have a .311 Winning %, and the O's a .312 Winning %, but we are 1/2 game farther behind the overall league leading Astros. I feel like I've looked this up before, but can't recall for sure. LOL!

 

Winning percentage.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated after today's (Thursday 5/23/19) games: 

Quote

PICK  TEAM    RECORD  WIN%  GB    
1     Orioles        15-35     .300     ----    
2     Marlins       16-31     .340    2.5   
3     Royals        17-32     .347    2.5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I don’t disagree with anything you said, and I’m grateful you said it. Everyone needs a designated driver. But lemme play devil’s advocate for a moment. This is 60 games. ~12 starts instead of 30. 60 starters instead of 162, and several guys who can start a time or two and not ruin our lives. One trait of greatness is consistency. Over 60, that is less important than over 162. Our starters and our pen appear much superior to the last couple years. Not enough to matter in 162 because the long season takes a toll, And quality-or lack thereof- finds its level, but in 60 games? Sure. And remember the short season doesn’t help the best, because the best doesn’t need the benefits a short season offers. The defense is much better too, unless Nunez is playing third, anyway. so yes I agree with you, but it’s not out of the question.  
    • This was a nice read.  And that's not sarcasm.
    • No qualifying offers this season.
    • If Stroman gets a qualifying offer he would cost the O's their third pick (either the comp pick after round 2 or, if that pick is traded, their third round pick). Jake Odorizzi got a QO this off-season at the same age as Stroman with a less successful career to date. I think it is quite likely that Stroman gets one too.
    • I appreciate Wildcards's enthusiasm and optimism. This season is such a wildcard because of all the variables that really anything could happen and I wouldn't be overly surprised. Saying that, there is no reality where this is the beginning of a sustainable winning core.  There is just as much of a chance of this team losing ten straight games as they do of keep playing .500 ball the rest of this season.  As Drungo has point out, there are some guys who have started out this season way above their carer norms. Even if you believe Severino, Ruiz, Alberto and Nunez are breaking out as they enter their primes, does anyone think Cobb, Milone and Wojo are going to keep pitching to their current ERAs? Cobb maybe since it seems his splitter has come back, but I'm not buying long term sustainability on Milone and Hyde has used Wojo right but not letting him go more than twice through an order. 
    • What does that mean? What's the cost of Wildcard's optimism? Also, I don't think what I said constituted being negative.  That's an honest appraisal of the team.    Not much of what we are seeing looks sustainable.
    • Yea I don’t know that I buy they will spend what it takes but they have very little money committed long term and that is when you can take advantage of it.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...