Greg Pappas

O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

I've watched both pitch.

Hancock has an elite arm.   FB can hit upper 90's.  His secondary offerings are all pretty good.

Lacy is lefty.  FB consistently in Mid 90's.  Secondaries were not as good as Hancock's last year, but look improved this year.    Lacy has better FB command, Hancock has better secondaries command.

Personally prefer Lacy.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Any reason why? Have you watched both of them? I would take the pitcher who has above average command now vs the guy who has below average command at the same velocity and age 9 times out of 10.

No I have not, admittedly, but have read reports that Hancock’s secondaries are inferior to Lacey’s, and Lacey is a lefty obviously. Also it’s concerning that Hancock hasn’t pitched all that well to start the year whereas Lacey has. Long season still, and my opinion right now is solely based on gut feeling. Have you watched them both?

With Mancini's future in doubt, think Martin or Tork should be our top pick. Go for pitching in later rounds. No. 1 pick must be a sure thing with these recent events.

21 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

With Mancini's future in doubt, think Martin or Tork should be our top pick. Go for pitching in later rounds. No. 1 pick must be a sure thing with these recent events.

You don't pick for need.

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

At this point, I'm hoping we get Torkelson. To be more clear, I'd take Tork even if we were picking 1st.

Interesting. It's still early, but I prefer an IF or CF.

I am usually in the camp of select the BPA, but this might be a year to consider going underslot if there is someone we like that we can get for significantly underslot (and we think it will help at 30/39).

1 hour ago, Gatoriole said:

Interesting. It's still early, but I prefer an IF or CF.

I am usually in the camp of select the BPA, but this might be a year to consider going underslot if there is someone we like that we can get for significantly underslot (and we think it will help at 30/39).

Yes, in determining who one would prefer to choose, among equally skilled position players, taking the more difficult fielding position makes sense.  However, if a 1B stands out as the best player, compared to his peers at all other positions, then I feel he should be taken. I've never been a fan of the under-slot strategy. I want difference makers.  Tork, like Rutschman last year, seems like a sure-fire future star.

Tigers will take Tork at #1, especially if Martin continues to scuffle....

Unlike other sports, in Baseball you do not draft for need.   An effective strategy is to stockpile as many talented arms as you can.   Pitching wins championships.   Period.   Many pitchers will be derailed by injury and ineffectiveness, so you need to stockpile the talent here.

Lacy for me.   

9 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Tigers will take Tork at #1, especially if Martin continues to scuffle....

Unlike other sports, in Baseball you do not draft for need.   An effective strategy is to stockpile as many talented arms as you can.   Pitching wins championships.   Period.   Many pitchers will be derailed by injury and ineffectiveness, so you need to stockpile the talent here.

Lacy for me.   

I agree with you that pitching is ultra-important, but don't agree with the implication that we should typically focus on drafting arms over position players. As you yourself said, "Many pitchers will be derailed by injury and ineffectiveness..." So, since position players are far more likely to stay healthy and contribute, focus on drafting the likeliest future assets and then trade from strength to acquire the pitching we need.   

I wonder if you could under slot, who you think is the best HS prospect this year, at #2 with the premise being "we didn't get to see you play your senior year, so we don't really know much about you"

15 hours ago, MountUrCastle said:

Im Gonzales/Lacy at 2

I also want to put Gonzalez over Martin,  but if Martin is available at 2 I think he would be the pick assuming they think he can play somewhere up the middle. I believe he offers significantly more value with the glove. I love me some Nick Gonzalez though and see him as the next Keston Hiura. 

2 hours ago, joelala said:

I also want to put Gonzalez over Martin,  but if Martin is available at 2 I think he would be the pick assuming they think he can play somewhere up the middle. I believe he offers significantly more value with the glove. I love me some Nick Gonzalez though and see him as the next Keston Hiura. 

Experience in other sports has always lead me to prioritize offense over defense- I understand this may not be the case for baseball, but it's what puts Gonzales ahead for me even considering his environment. I'd imagine the reality of the situation is they're both very close.