Greg Pappas

O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Boras can't do a lot here.  It would very likely cost any of these top picks a lot of money to not sign and go back to school for a senior year.

I'd be fine with picking 1-3 in next year's stacked draft.

Yes, agreed. But if he can save a little of the slot amount at #2, then great. Maybe get Boras to agree to split the difference between picks #2 and 3. Save a few hundred thousand and use it at 30/39. To me, that is the goal. Boras is likely saying Martin should be paid at full slot, maybe over. 

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Yes, agreed. But if he can save a little of the slot amount at #2, then great. Maybe get Boras to agree to split the difference between picks #2 and 3. Save a few hundred thousand and use it at 30/39. To me, that is the goal. Boras is likely saying Martin should be paid at full slot, maybe over. 

Hey maybe if he goes back for his senior year he can prove to teams he's a shortstop.

• Haha 1

You pay for certainty.   It sounds like Torkelson and Martin are the two most certain players in the draft.    Veen may have a very high ceiling and he may get more athletic but that isn't certain.  He could also get bigger and lose athleticism and the bat might not play against advanced competition.   You never know.  Martin played college ball in one of the best conferences, if not the best.   You could roll the dice and get two really good players but why roll the dice.  Take the "sure thing" (there is no such thing) at #2 and take the BPA at 30 and 39.    Even guys who drop from mid 1st round are far from sure things.   So, I'm not drooling over the possibility of getting the #15 or #20 guy at #30.    Give me the actually #2 guy at #2 and I'll roll the dice at #30 and #39.

• Upvote 3

I'm going against most everyone else. I think Detroit will surprise us and take Martin.

Our picks;

2. Spencer Torkelson

30. Bryce Jarvis

39. Bobby Miller

I can't wait until the day comes that all draft picks are able to be traded.  The NFL Draft is more exciting because of it and baseball sure could use some more excitement and fan interest. :) 

5 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I can't wait until the day comes that all draft picks are able to be traded.  The NFL Draft is more exciting because of it and baseball sure could use some more excitement and fan interest. :) 

I've been underwhelmed by the draft picks trades we have seen thus far.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No-one in the 2020 draft would rank higher than 3rd in the 2019 draft.

That's pretty obvious.  Vaughn is rather similar to Tork and he went third.

If Detroit did take Martin, I would be tempted to take need/upside in Lacy over the certainty/safety of Torkelson.

Can someone with access to Baseball America's latest Top 200 Prospects list please message me (or post here)? I'm looking to create a Composite Top Prospects list, using MLB.com, Baseball America, ESPN, and Keith Law. Thank you.

If no BA, I'll do it without them. :)

On 5/25/2019 at 5:01 PM, Luke-OH said:

If I was picking today, that’d be my choice. 

I bet Luke still likes Hancock.  And he obviously liked Lacy.