Greg Pappas

O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

Just listened to Elias on the Sunday’s podcast on Oriole Magic.  Going to be the best player available- the pick is too important not to do so. Looking for athletic player who could player multiple positions.   Looks like It’s my guy Austin Martin.   Here is the link.     

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/orioles-magic-the-podcast/id902521404?i=1000477079529

Edited by WI O’s Fan
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Just listened to Elias on the Sunday’s podcast on Oriole Magic.  Going to be the best player available- the pick is too important not to do so. Looking for athletic player who could player multiple positions.   Looks like It’s my guy Austin Martin.   Here is the link.     

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/orioles-magic-the-podcast/id902521404?i=1000477079529

Starter and reliever are two different positions.

Yippee!!!  That would make me so happy!!!

Looking at our list of prospects, I don't see a lot of impact position players.   There's Rutschman who's a grade A.  Then I see some grade B guys like Mountcastle and Yusniel Diaz.   Then I don't see a whole lot beyond that....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Starter and reliever are two different positions.

I believe pitching is out with the #2 pick due to the uncertainty of pitching overall.

1 minute ago, WI O’s Fan said:

I believe pitching is out with the #2 pick due to the uncertainty of pitching overall.

Are you saying you don't think Elias would take a pitcher 1-2?

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you saying you don't think Elias would take a pitcher 1-2?

I seem to remember plenty of people on here cheering for the chance to get Hancock this year and Rocker next year and having them at the top of the rotation.  "And these are the Days of Our Lives"

• Thanks 1

After getting horribly burned by Aiken and Appel?   Yes, I don't think he'd be so inclined....   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

After getting horribly burned by Aiken and Appel?   Yes, I don't think he'd be so inclined....   

How did he get burned by Aiken?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How did he get burned by Aiken?

It wasn’t so much that Aiken was a bad pitcher, but after the Astros drafted him first overall, they discovered an issue with his elbow on the physical and decided to back out of the deal.  It turns out they were right, because Aiken blew his elbow out the following year and hasn’t been right ever since (he got drafted by the Indians in the first round the following year and has struggled in their system).  And it worked out for the Astros because they got a compensation pick at #2 the following year for failure to sign Aiken (all picks in the top 3 rounds are protected) and drafted Alex Bregman, who has turned out to be a stud.

10 minutes ago, Obando said:

It wasn’t so much that Aiken was a bad pitcher, but after the Astros drafted him first overall, they discovered an issue with his elbow on the physical and decided to back out of the deal.  It turns out they were right, because Aiken blew his elbow out the following year and hasn’t been right ever since (he got drafted by the Indians in the first round the following year and has struggled in their system).  And it worked out for the Astros because they got a compensation pick at #2 the following year for failure to sign Aiken (all picks in the top 3 rounds are protected) and drafted Alex Bregman, who has turned out to be a stud.

Exactly.  The Aiken pick didn't hurt them at all.

I don't think missing on one pick, even a 1-1 would color Elias to the point that he would never again use a high draft pick on a pitcher.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

Yippee!!!  That would make me so happy!!!

Looking at our list of prospects, I don't see a lot of impact position players.   There's Rutschman who's a grade A.  Then I see some grade B guys like Mountcastle and Yusniel Diaz.   Then I don't see a whole lot beyond that....

Gunnar Henderson the 2nd round pick in 2019 is a top level guy.  Hopefully he gets on the field and has a chance to start demonstrating it.  
There’s other members of the 2019 draft class who should rise on prospect lists too.  I think adding A Martin to this mix and depth chart would be a strong start to the 2020 amateur talent collecting.  I’ll second your yippee!!!

• Upvote 3

Keith Law's final mock was released this morning ($):

2. Baltimore Orioles: Austin Martin, 3B/CF, Vanderbilt

There’s still chatter that the O’s would try to cut a steep deal with another college bat, such as Nick Gonzales, Heston Kjerstad, Patrick Bailey, or even high school bat Zac Veen, so that they can go wild at picks 30 and 39 (perhaps taking prep right-hander Nick Bitsko at the first pick). However, Martin is the best player in the class and does several things the O’s value highly, including making very frequent, hard contact, so I think in the end they’ll take him.

26 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Seems like this guy could be a Brian Roberts type player with perhaps a higher ceiling.

I don't expect he'll steal as many bases, but do expect he'll be a notably better player than Roberts. 

Roberts' career 162 game average was .276 BA/.347 OBP/.409 SLG/ .756 OPS with 33 SB, 8 CS, 11 HR, 62 RBI, and a 101 OPS+

Agreed. I'm guessing Martin's 162 game averages are something like 300/370/450 with like 15 home runs, and there's certainly lots of room for him to be better than that

• Upvote 1