Greg Pappas

O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

3 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Here’s a question — for all of us disappointed in the Kjerstad pick, who (within reason) would we have to get at #30 and #39 to make the strategy worthwhile? 

Bitsko mainly. Crochet if he falls (if). Definitely a HS outfielder/IF

So we picked a guy who doesn't have a great arm or range, and who strikes out a lot, and who has questionable swing mechanics as the number two pick. To answer an earlier question, I don't see a scenario where the 30 and 39 pick make up for it. Guys like Bitsko aren't likely to be there. 

2 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

So we picked a guy who doesn't have a great arm or range, and who strikes out a lot, and who has questionable swing mechanics as the number two pick. To answer an earlier question, I don't see a scenario where the 30 and 39 pick make up for it. Guys like Bitsko aren't likely to be there. 

CoC disagreed but I gotta think they have a number of guys that they're targeting to fall to those picks.

It only makes sense.  It's stupid to go with Kjerstad and pin your hopes on one or two guys being there when you pick next.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

CoC disagreed but I gotta think they have a number of guys that they're targeting to fall to those picks.

It only makes sense.  It's stupid to go with Kjerstad and pin your hopes on one or two guys being there when you pick next.  

I see this as a large pool savings.  I just don't see how they can have ten guys lined up that they think are worth the amount they should be saving here.

I could be wrong.

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, we just passed on a guy with a 70 hit tool and plate discipline.  Something this organization lacks.

We also lack power hitting. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Giants just took another catcher. 

They could have an interesting situation when the NL adopts the DH.  Switch out Bart and Bailey between C and DH.  Keep both fresh.

Would have been interesting if the O’s did that with Rutschman, but we already have twelve DHs.

4 minutes ago, lovetoaster said:

Would you take 70/70 hit tool and discipline or less than 70/70 power?

Also, Bailey to the Giants is super odd, right?

Edited by MountUrCastle

Giants pick catcher Patrick Bailey who was very good friends with Will Wilson who the Angels drafted last year but traded to the Giants in off season.  

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Giants just took another catcher. 

Starting to look like the Buster Posey drafted a year after Matt Wieters kind of draft.

Time will tell... but I'm not happy at all at this point.  When the draft is over I'll have a better idea how I feel about this decision.

7 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

Would you take 70/70 hit tool and discipline or less than 70/70 power?

Also, Bailey to the Giants is super odd, right?

In a vacuum, of course I take the hit tool. But obviously, they are both more than just that single discipline. And of course, there’s some strategy behind it that hopefully works out in our favor. 

I understand people are surprised/disappointed by the pick. But I don’t mind it at all. 

Heston was spectacular this year pre-COVID, and he was outstanding for Team USA. Not that Martin isn’t an excellent player as well, but I just wasn’t as high on him as other people.

19 minutes ago, lovetoaster said:

We lack talent everywhere.  But I was hoping we could get a guy like Martin or at least Gonzales.

Red Sox on the clock. Whatever happened to THEIR supposed punishment for cheating??? :rolleyes:

Just now, scOtt said:

Red Sox on the clock. Whatever happened to THEIR supposed punishment for cheating??? :rolleyes:

Their video guy got suspended.