Greg Pappas

O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

Just now, calsmanystances said:

Oy. Westburg hit .294 last year (.279 in SEC games) with 6 HR. He struck out 69 times in 66 games (265 AB). In the brief 2020 season (16 games), he hit .317 with 2 HR and 15 Ks (66 AB). I don't know what to say other than this is not anything resembling an overslot.

We took two high strikeout, swing and miss guys from the same conference as Martin, who didn't strike out and hit .424 with more walks than strikeouts.  How many times have you asked yourself, "I wish our prospects didn't have the 'he strikes out too much and needs better control of the strike zone' label? Well, we added two guys that K a lot. Kjerstad had a 33% chase percentage. In college. How will that go when he faces pitchers throwing 5 MPH harder, with better breaking balls and command? 

Logic.

Just now, lovetoaster said:

One of my favorite things about the MLB draft is the variances in rankings. On the MLB rankings, Jared Kelley is the best available player by far. But he’s only the fourth best available player in Kiley McDaniel’s rankings. 

Serious wrench thrown if someone factors signability into their ranking s

The ability to consistently make contact with the baseball no longer seems important.  We’ve now drafted a shortstop that strikes out a lot and only hit 10 homer us in his college career?  

2 minutes ago, calsmanystances said:

Oy. Westburg hit .294 last year (.279 in SEC games) with 6 HR. He struck out 69 times in 66 games (265 AB). In the brief 2020 season (16 games), he hit .317 with 2 HR and 15 Ks (66 AB). I don't know what to say other than this is not anything resembling an overslot.

We took two high strikeout, swing and miss guys from the same conference as Martin, who didn't strike out and hit .424 with more walks than strikeouts.  How many times have you asked yourself, "I wish our prospects didn't have the 'he strikes out too much and needs better control of the strike zone' label? Well, we added two guys that K a lot. Kjerstad had a 33% chase percentage. In college. How will that go when he faces pitchers throwing 5 MPH harder, with better breaking balls and command? 

Perhaps he’s another underslot they like? With a bunch of over slots to follow? 

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

They are quickly running out of rounds to go overslot.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We had the most money before we picked Kjerstad.

I know but if we want someone who will only sign for X amount of $ it’s the only thing that makes any sense. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They are quickly running out of rounds to go overslot.

Admittedly true, but it could be from here on. Some of the college picks made after us in the comp balance round point to some of the HS guys being avoided. We might have room to scoop those guys up from here on. 

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

He’s not underslot. He’s probably right at slot. MLB had him ranked at 37 and McDaniel actually had him at 25, above Kelley. People seem to love his potential, but he’s obviously not there yet. 

Elias has discovered the next market inefficiency.  Hitters that don’t make much contact.  Very undervalued in today’s game.

• Haha 2

I doubt Westburg stays at SS. How many college SS actually play there in the bigs? If you're good enough to play SS in the majors you don't go to college (or are am int'l guy).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lovetoaster said:

He’s not underslot. He’s probably right at slot. MLB had him ranked at 37 and McDaniel actually had him at 25, above Kelley. People seem to love his potential, but he’s obviously not there yet. 

He may still sign for less than slot. Is someone like him going to go back to school? I’m not saying a huge savings here but still. 

Just now, O-Arm36 said:

I doubt Westburg stays at SS. How many college SS actually play there in the bigs? If you're good enough to play SS in the majors you don't go to college (or are am int'l guy).

I think that’s one of the things people like about him. That he may stick there. But who the heck knows. 

I don't get why the "experts" like Westburg.  Ok, he's athletic, but... if he can't produce at the college level, why is he gonna produce in MLB?  Seems like a complete waste of the 30th pick to me, and that simply can't happen in the situation the O's are in.  .  

16 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

I just sensed this too.  Would you want him?  

At this point I don’t know what to think. Elias is no fool, I know that. 

• Upvote 1