Jump to content
Greg Pappas

O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

In last years draft Elias was heavy into college position players and college players overall.  The trend continues.  Everyone waiting for the overslot HS pitcher.  Odds are the next pick is another college guy. 

I’d be surprised if Elias puts his eggs in one basket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After sleeping on it and reading more about Hjerstad, I feel a little better about that pick.   But I don’t believe that Westburg will hit at the MLB level.  Hopefully they’ll have an expanded fall prospect program so our young guys can get into some game action this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NCRaven said:

After sleeping on it and reading more about Hjerstad, I feel a little better about that pick.   But I don’t believe that Westburg will hit at the MLB level.  Hopefully they’ll have an expanded fall prospect program so our young guys can get into some game action this year.

I agree that Westburg is a bigger risk than the average early collegiate pick, but his upside is just as tantalizing.  I think if he can hit .270'ish at the ML level, he'll be a really good player. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, weams said:

I’d be surprised if Elias puts his eggs in one basket. 

Yea, I have to imagine they had numerous scenarios modeled out re: overslot. I don't buy the notion that the strategy was a failure already because they missed on "the one guy" they were planning to go overslot on at 30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

Yea, I have to imagine they had numerous scenarios modeled out re: overslot. I don't buy the notion that the strategy was a failure already because they missed on "the one guy" they were planning to go overslot on at 30.

Yes, I imagine they are looking to potentially get two pitchers for overslot.  They can talk to them ahead of time and get a good idea.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yossarian said:

Have we just given up?  Does this make sense to anyone?

They are saving the money for those 20K undrafted free agents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...