Greg Pappas

O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

Just now, interloper said:

Being a disagreeable message board hater is not, in fact, the same as a personality.

Well that was unprovoked. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47c12bfd5655bb7cf6cf

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I didn’t think it was possible to have the #2 pick and drop in the rankings.  

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And there is the money issue.  Even if Kjerstad was at the top of the board he shouldn't take near slot to sign.  None of the other picks so far look to be overslot so where is the money going?

I find it very hard to fathom that the O's pick the BPA every round and end up with a million+ unspent.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Being a disagreeable message board hater is not, in fact, the same as a personality.

Agreed. But why is it so hard to believe that an analytics driven pragmatic regime would determine that with the lack of info on all of these guys due to covid that it’s simply not worth the risk?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And there is the money issue.  Even if Kjerstad was at the top of the board he shouldn't take near slot to sign.  None of the other picks so far look to be overslot so where is the money going?

I find it very hard to fathom that the O's pick the BPA every round and end up with a million+ unspent.

Well, maybe they're going to go overslot later.  Who knows.

I'm curious as to how many teams spend every dollar of their draft pool each year anyway.

1 minute ago, joelala said:

Agreed. But why is it so hard to believe that an analytics driven pragmatic regime would determine that with the lack of info on all of these guys due to covid that it’s simply not worth the risk?

Because the risk is minimal compared to the potential reward.  Assuming your team's financials are in order what's spending an extra couple of million when you can get a cost controlled MLB player for 6+ years for it?

Just now, weams said:

Absolutely. Cedric Mullins, McKenna, probably Stewart...

...Grenier, Akin, Ortiz....

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well that was unprovoked. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47c12bfd5655bb7cf6cf

It's just years and years of hearing the same posts from you nearly 24/7 365. You spend a LOT of time on here just sniping and picking at other posters or the organization without really adding much to the conversation. You've been here for like a decade doing this daily. Doesn't it get old?

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, maybe they're going to go overslot later.  Who knows.

I'm curious as to how many teams spend every dollar of their draft pool each year anyway.

Don't they risk running out of guys to spend the surplus on?  No offense to Haskin but he wouldn't have been there next round?

Because the risk is minimal compared to the potential reward.  Assuming your team's financials are in order what's spending an extra couple of million when you can get a cost controlled MLB player for 6+ years for it?

Oh I agree I don’t think it’s a very defensible position whether it’s an Elias decision or an Angelos one 

• Upvote 1

Just now, interloper said:

It's just years and years of hearing the same posts from you nearly 24/7 365. You spend a LOT of time on here just sniping and picking at other posters or the organization without really adding much to the conversation. You've been here for like a decade doing this daily. Doesn't it get old?

Use the /ignore function if it bothers you.  You shouldn't be launching personal attacks.

I'd hate for you to stoop to my level.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Don't they risk running out of guys to spend the surplus on?  No offense to Haskin but he wouldn't have been there next round?

Haskin, from what I can tell, should have been there for the next two rounds.  It's perplexing.

I laughed yesterday at the Sox picking that kid, I felt at least we weren't THEM.  And then we did pretty much the same thing.

Elias has the 'rona.  No other way to describe this.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I guess we really like this kid.  

This is the type of pick that either makes you look really bad or really good.

Use the /ignore function if it bothers you.  You shouldn't be launching personal attacks.

I'd hate for you to stoop to my level.

Lol that's rich considering some of the stuff I've seen you say.