Greg Pappas

O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

There goes Wilcox.  

By this point you knew the O's weren't going to pick him anyway.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I know. Just frustrating.

I'm now a Marlins fan.  They've taken a pitcher with every pick.  

How would opinions be on the current draftees if Luke-OH had done evaluations showing the selected players as top on his list?  If he had mocked the players that have been selected, would you be more optimistic?  Searching for a glimmer of hope....

4 minutes ago, dbmillertime said:

How would opinions be on the current draftees if Luke-OH had done evaluations showing the selected players as top on his list?  If he had mocked the players that have been selected, would you be more optimistic?  Searching for a glimmer of hope....

I see the thinking with these picks. It's pretty much all about analytics, high exit velocities. It's just hard to get excited about it. They don't wow you from a scouting perspective. 

Edited by Spl51

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know. Just frustrating.

I'm now a Marlins fan.  They've taken a pitcher with every pick.  

They’ll take any fan they can find. 

1 minute ago, Spl51 said:

I see the thinking with these picks. It's pretty much all about analytics, high exit velocities. It's just hard to get excited about it. They don't wow you from a scouting perspective. 

Hard to get excited about exit velocity if they don't make contact.

200.gif

2 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

They certainly have faith in what they are doing. It will be fascinating to see how it all plays out. 

I doubt this is the reason but all these arms will all be a year behind getting any innings in. College bats need less development generally speaking. 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I’m watching ESPN..... The way they explained Wilcox

Example....

Elias :  How much will it take to sign Wilcox here in the 3rd round

Wilcox’s agent: We are looking for 4 million dollars

Elias : We can do that 

Wilcox’s agent : Well don’t pick him because he can just go back to Georgia and has an extra year of eligibility 

Elias : Hangs up and picks someone else

I don’t think Elias is picking these particular players to save money.  I think he is legitimately just picking the best player on their board when it’s their turn to pick.  That’s the whole point of having a draft board and ranking players.  Obviously, they take asking price into account when making decisions, but the Orioles are now a very analytical team, so value is heavily factored into their decisions.  I am going to choose to trust the process rather than complain because they may not pick players that I prefer.  I’m sure there is a plan and they aren’t just making these picks blindly.  I will admit that I am surprised we haven’t seen a pitcher yet through the first 4 picks though.