Jump to content
Frobby

Austin Hays 2019

Recommended Posts

Elias could go either way on the promotion of Hays and Williams.   It could be both, one or neither.   It is probably the most interesting of the call up decisions.   Wilkerson missing that fly ball the other day could influence him.  

Shepherd to the rotation is the second most interesting to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

He is putting up a higher OPS in more at bats than Anthony Santander was when he was promoted to Baltimore.

No reason for him not to get his feet wet.  He's going to spend most of the next year in the bigs regardless as long as he can stay healthy.  

 

I think we can only play so many guys in September on a regular basis.    I’d send Hays home.   

The comparison with Santander isn’t a good one.   Santander didn’t really deserve a call-up.   He got one due to injuries to other players, and then he took advantage of it.   But the O’s needed another OF at the time, and their options were limited.    They don’t need another OF right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think we can only play so many guys in September on a regular basis.    I’d send Hays home.   

The comparison with Santander isn’t a good one.   Santander didn’t really deserve a call-up.   He got one due to injuries to other players, and then he took advantage of it.   But the O’s needed another OF at the time, and their options were limited.    They don’t need another OF right now.  

Who do we need to play in the OF over Santander, Stewart, and Hays? We have Stevie Wilkerson playing in center everyday right now. 

I’m interested in evaluating potential future pieces. Placeholders like Wilkerson, Peterson, and Smith Jr. need not get in the way. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless Hays is injured I'd like to see him in CF for September.  Stewart in LF. Santander in RF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Who do we need to play in the OF over Santander, Stewart, and Hays? We have Stevie Wilkerson playing in center everyday right now. 

I’m interested in evaluating potential future pieces. Placeholders like Wilkerson, Peterson, and Smith Jr. need not get in the way. 

There's certainly no point in seeing more of Wilkerson and Smith in the OF.  There's room for Hayes.  The only question I'd have in using him is if they think he'd be better served by getting rest - maybe they'd have a concern about him staying healthy.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

There's certainly no point in seeing more of Wilkerson and Smith in the OF.  There's room for Hayes.  The only question I'd have in using him is if they think he'd be better served by getting rest - maybe they'd have a concern about him staying healthy.   

Looks like rest for Hays:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

Hays to the AFL:

 

Good.  As long as he's getting the extra at bats somewhere. I hope to see him as our opening day CF in 2020. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

There are 0 center fielders on the MLB team. I think he should get the call.

I agree he should have been called up, but I don't see him as a long term center fielder either. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems he's played more in right or left in the minors. I think Mullins, McKenna and Watson are our center fielders. I could see Hays holding it down for a year or two while McKenna or Watson make it to Baltimore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I agree he should have been called up, but I don't see him as a long term center fielder either. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems he's played more in right or left in the minors. I think Mullins, McKenna and Watson are our center fielders. I could see Hays holding it down for a year or two while McKenna or Watson make it to Baltimore.

According to BaseballReference.com in MiLB he has played 158 games in CF, 18 in LF and 118 in RF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

I agree he should have been called up, but I don't see him as a long term center fielder either. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems he's played more in right or left in the minors. 

I have the numbers in front of me. He has played more in center(158 games in center, 118 in right, 18 in left). If and when a better centerfielder like Mullins, McKenna or Watson proves to be a Major League hitter, Hays will move to right, but for now he is the Orioles best option in center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That still doesn't tell me he's the long-term answer. I doubt Blair, Bumbry or Jones played almost half their minor league games in a corner spot. I agree with starting him in center in 2020, if he can hit and stay healthy, but I'm waiting on McKenna or Watson, with Hays or Diaz in right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

That still doesn't tell me he's the long-term answer. I doubt Blair, Bumbry or Jones played almost half their minor league games in a corner spot. I agree with starting him in center in 2020, if he can hit and stay healthy, but I'm waiting on McKenna or Watson, with Hays or Diaz in right.

Jones played more than half of his minor league games at shortstop. Blair and Bumbry's minor league outfield positions aren't maintained on Baseball Reference.

It obviously remains to be seen whether Hays is the long term answer at center, but that will be determined based on how well he plays in center at the big league level, where he is the current best option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think he might be our CF by necessity, but it’s not ideal.

Hell of a lot more ideal than Stevie Wilkerson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Another article on Reed from May 2019.  The first 33 games of 2019 have featured a paltry .205/.282/.410 slash as a 24-year-old in Double-A. An 84 wRC+ despite being slightly older than his average competition in the Texas League. Those numbers often describe a prospect afterthought, especially with most statistical categories beginning to normalize. Yet, a look under the hood suggests Reed is on the verge of a breakout that could make him a hot commodity throughout the prospect community before the end of the regular season. https://prospects365.com/2019/05/18/buddy-reed-and-buying-before-a-breakout/
    • It was a heck of a lot better than 2000-2009.  2012 was a truly great year, and 2014 wasn't bad, either.  And hopefully we look back at '19 as the year we finally got on track to having a top-to-bottom modern organization for the first time since the 1970s.
    • OK, I will exhale now.    Have a great Thanksgiving, Tony, and enjoy your time off!
    • Actually he would have to be up by the beginning of 2024, because he would be out of options at that point, using his three option years in 2021, 2022 and 2023, which could potentially further mess up his development.
    • If you're taking Javier and having him mostly sit the bench or hit .100 for all of 2020 I think you'd be looking at him as the possible shortstop in 2024.  He was miserable in low A last year.  On a normal track he'd probably go back there in 2020.  Instead you'd have him essentially miss the year, just working out with the O's.  You probably put him in Frederick in 2021. Maybe if he's really good he ends the year in Bowie.  Most of the year in AA in 2022.  If things work out well he's in AAA in '23, maybe a late callup.  But being more conservative you're looking at mid-year 2024.  Things could break better, his talent really comes out and he's ahead of that schedule.  But in no way do you expect him to be the MLB shortstop in '22.
    • In my opinion, you are WAY too worried about Mountcastle’s defense.    He’s not some klutz out there.    He has a weak arm.    The fact that he played 3 seasons on the left side of the infield tells you that he has the athleticism to play 1B or COF at a reasonably good level.       As to whether I’d lock him up now at that price, it’s a little tough to say.   If you think he’s likely to be about on the level with a Josh Bell or Trey Mancini, it’s probably worth the risk.    If you think he’s more of a Mitch Moreland level bat, then probably not.       And before people start poo-pooing Mitch Moreland, the guy has had a respectable 10-year career in the majors and had a career .883 OPS in the minors.    Most top 100 prospects would love to have Moreland’s career.    
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...