Jump to content
Frobby

Austin Hays 2019

Recommended Posts

Elias could go either way on the promotion of Hays and Williams.   It could be both, one or neither.   It is probably the most interesting of the call up decisions.   Wilkerson missing that fly ball the other day could influence him.  

Shepherd to the rotation is the second most interesting to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

He is putting up a higher OPS in more at bats than Anthony Santander was when he was promoted to Baltimore.

No reason for him not to get his feet wet.  He's going to spend most of the next year in the bigs regardless as long as he can stay healthy.  

 

I think we can only play so many guys in September on a regular basis.    I’d send Hays home.   

The comparison with Santander isn’t a good one.   Santander didn’t really deserve a call-up.   He got one due to injuries to other players, and then he took advantage of it.   But the O’s needed another OF at the time, and their options were limited.    They don’t need another OF right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think we can only play so many guys in September on a regular basis.    I’d send Hays home.   

The comparison with Santander isn’t a good one.   Santander didn’t really deserve a call-up.   He got one due to injuries to other players, and then he took advantage of it.   But the O’s needed another OF at the time, and their options were limited.    They don’t need another OF right now.  

Who do we need to play in the OF over Santander, Stewart, and Hays? We have Stevie Wilkerson playing in center everyday right now. 

I’m interested in evaluating potential future pieces. Placeholders like Wilkerson, Peterson, and Smith Jr. need not get in the way. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless Hays is injured I'd like to see him in CF for September.  Stewart in LF. Santander in RF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Who do we need to play in the OF over Santander, Stewart, and Hays? We have Stevie Wilkerson playing in center everyday right now. 

I’m interested in evaluating potential future pieces. Placeholders like Wilkerson, Peterson, and Smith Jr. need not get in the way. 

There's certainly no point in seeing more of Wilkerson and Smith in the OF.  There's room for Hayes.  The only question I'd have in using him is if they think he'd be better served by getting rest - maybe they'd have a concern about him staying healthy.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

There's certainly no point in seeing more of Wilkerson and Smith in the OF.  There's room for Hayes.  The only question I'd have in using him is if they think he'd be better served by getting rest - maybe they'd have a concern about him staying healthy.   

Looks like rest for Hays:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

Hays to the AFL:

 

Good.  As long as he's getting the extra at bats somewhere. I hope to see him as our opening day CF in 2020. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

There are 0 center fielders on the MLB team. I think he should get the call.

I agree he should have been called up, but I don't see him as a long term center fielder either. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems he's played more in right or left in the minors. I think Mullins, McKenna and Watson are our center fielders. I could see Hays holding it down for a year or two while McKenna or Watson make it to Baltimore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I agree he should have been called up, but I don't see him as a long term center fielder either. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems he's played more in right or left in the minors. I think Mullins, McKenna and Watson are our center fielders. I could see Hays holding it down for a year or two while McKenna or Watson make it to Baltimore.

According to BaseballReference.com in MiLB he has played 158 games in CF, 18 in LF and 118 in RF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

I agree he should have been called up, but I don't see him as a long term center fielder either. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems he's played more in right or left in the minors. 

I have the numbers in front of me. He has played more in center(158 games in center, 118 in right, 18 in left). If and when a better centerfielder like Mullins, McKenna or Watson proves to be a Major League hitter, Hays will move to right, but for now he is the Orioles best option in center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That still doesn't tell me he's the long-term answer. I doubt Blair, Bumbry or Jones played almost half their minor league games in a corner spot. I agree with starting him in center in 2020, if he can hit and stay healthy, but I'm waiting on McKenna or Watson, with Hays or Diaz in right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

That still doesn't tell me he's the long-term answer. I doubt Blair, Bumbry or Jones played almost half their minor league games in a corner spot. I agree with starting him in center in 2020, if he can hit and stay healthy, but I'm waiting on McKenna or Watson, with Hays or Diaz in right.

Jones played more than half of his minor league games at shortstop. Blair and Bumbry's minor league outfield positions aren't maintained on Baseball Reference.

It obviously remains to be seen whether Hays is the long term answer at center, but that will be determined based on how well he plays in center at the big league level, where he is the current best option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think he might be our CF by necessity, but it’s not ideal.

Hell of a lot more ideal than Stevie Wilkerson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Imagine the possibilities if Macphail was allowed to trade draft picks. I hope that’s in the new CBA. 
    • I saw these lists on MLBTR and thought I hope @Luke-OH has some info on these guys. Thanks.   
    • Hopefully the Astros are forced to fire this guy and he can quietly take a role with us. 
    • I think it’s more of the “I’ll believe it when I see it” mentality.  Right now we have $2.5 million just chilling. Ready for us to spend it.  This is how you prevent 14 straight years of losing. Our last winning year was 2016. I don’t think we sniff winning till 2023 with the state of our pitching staff. That’s 7 years and half way there.  We spent our full draft pull money this year. Seems odd we keep having this international pool money left over. Odd or... maybe some of that old philosophy is still lingering. 
    • I haven't looked at the position players, but there are a number of pitchers on that list who are interesting.  From a simple performance based analysis, Juan Minaya 29yo with 128 innings of 3.93 ERA ball in the majors. It's nothing exciting, but he's been a solid middle reliever. He's also tinkered with his offspeed/breaking pitches a bit and there may be some potential improvements in pitch mix/selection.  Chasen Shreve 29yo with 203 innings of 3.71 ERA ball in the majors. He was stuck in AAA this year because of the strength of the Cardinals bullpen, where he had a 3.45 ERA, a full 2.4 runs under the league average 5.85 ERA. His FIP numbers aren't good, but he's one of those few guys who consistently beats his FIP numbers.  An interesting spin rate dude, Dan Winkler Of 600 pitchers who threw 50 of more 4S fastballs in 2019, Winkler had the 15th highest RPM/MPH on his fastball. There is evidence that he's not using the pitch as well as he could, locating primarily middle of the zone and down, exactly where a high spin fastball plays poorly. Winkler is also only a year removed from a strong year as an important part of the Braves bullpen. He's only 29 years old.  Finally, a guy who is probably the riskiest of the group, but has serious stuff but has never put it together, Bryan Mitchell He's coming off a lost year, but at his best he averaged almost 95mph as a SP and added a 90mph cutter, and nasty high spin curveball. He should miss bats, but he doesn't. He's also battled some injuries. If he's healthy, he's the type of guy you sell the opportunity of the wide open O's pitching staff and you see if you can't make some tweaks to get him on track. He's 28 years old.         
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...