Frobby

Austin Hays 2019

I think Hays kind of proved that in 2017, even if he did fall back some last year with injuries.

I don't want to see Hays in Baltimore yet, like some did during spring training, but I would like to see him get on up to Norfolk and see how he does for the next three months. He has 28 homers and 97 RBI at Bowie, if I read the stats correctly.

Edited by orioles22

30 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I think Hays kind of proved that in 2017, even if he did fall back some last year with injuries.

I don't want to see Hays in Baltimore yet, like some did during spring training, but I would like to see him get on up to Norfolk and see how he does for the next three months. He has 28 homers and 97 RBI at Bowie, if I read the stats correctly.

He hit well in 2017. He hit horribly in 2018. The thing about 2019 is, it's not 2017. He needs to show he can hit again. 

34 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Who cares what he did in 2017?  It's nice to be able to point to that so we know what he's capable of but he didn't hit well in Bowie in 2018.  He's not hitting well in Frederick so far.  Doesn't appear to make any attempt to work the count.  1 walk in 36 at bats. What he did in 2018 and so far in 2019 has more relevance than his 2017 year at this point.  

He needs to work his way up again.  You don't get promoted to Norfolk or Baltimore based on your 2017 minor league numbers. 

He had 12 homers and 43 RBI last year and hit .242 in 66 games - so that's on pace for 20-25 homers and 80 RBI if he wasn't hurt. I don't know how many in our system produced that well, but I'm guessing not many. It wasn't as good as the year before, but probably good enough to go up a level when you consider he was hurt and played well in spring training.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:02 PM, ChuckS said:

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Those March moves are paper moves and mean very little and you keep holding onto that.  The minor league rosters are not set until the first week of April.

We'll find out soon enough when he gets out of Frederick.  2 for 2 tonight so far with a home run so maybe he's bumped up over the weekend. 

You were correct.

Hays is hitting third for Bowie tonight.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, orioles22 said:

You were correct.

Hays is hitting third for Bowie tonight.

1 for 4 with a walk and an RBI in his Bowie season debut.   Struck out three times, though.   

Yeah, struck out the first three times before finally coming through. I think I'd like to see him get going as much as anyone in the organization.

4 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Two homers and a double today also if I read it right - average up to .444 with a three of five.

No homers.   Two singles and a double.  

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm sure @Can_of_corn will be happy to see that Hays has stolen a base in each of his two AA games. 

I'm fine with folks stealing to establish they can.

I'm fine with folks stealing in high leverage situations.

Hays would fall into the former category.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with folks stealing to establish they can.

I'm fine with folks stealing in high leverage situations.

Hays would fall into the former category.

Just so long as he doesn’t sprain his thumb slamming it into the base.