DocJJ

Can we see Stewart, Cisco, Mountcastle instead of Martin, Severino, and Rickard?

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Orioles can always bring back their secret weapon Mike Wright now that he has been DFA-ed by the Mariners. 

25 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Wasn't that the Gausman Game of Thrones bobblehead?

Yes, I think you’re right.   

12 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Martin stays. He's the best defensive player on the team. Now, if only he'd learn to choke up on the bat a little bit.....

Martin actually ranks second to last in UZR/150 among shortstops with at least 200 innings played. He also ranks near the bottom of the league in defensive runs saved and Plus Minus runs saved. I don't think Martin's that good of a defensive shortstop. Rio Ruiz is a much better defensive player at his position than Martin is IMO. 

2 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Martin actually ranks second to last in UZR/150 among shortstops with at least 200 innings played. He also ranks near the bottom of the league in defensive runs saved and Plus Minus runs saved. I don't think Martin's that good of a defensive shortstop. Rio Ruiz is a much better defensive player at his position than Martin is IMO. 

I have noted this in prior threads, though I have to say, just watching him he seems very solid.    

4 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Me neither. I think I understand Elias's overall plan and the decisions not to promote our best prospects yet, as painful as the consequences may be at around 9 or 10 pm on many nights and on Sunday afternoons. 

But where is the organization on Sisco? Despite his unimpressive performance in ML two call-ups, I don't think anyone questions that his offensive potential should earn him a long look at hitting major league pitching but for the doubts as to whether he will be able to catch major league pitching well enough to be the receiver (even a backup) on an Oriole team that's striving to improve and move toward contention.

Sisco has been in the Orioles system since 2013. He has had five full seasons, and parts of two others, in which he's played over 400 MiL games, and 65 with the Orioles, all of them at catcher (plus a few games DHing). He's 24 and should be entering his prime years, and catchers often wear down and wear out faster than other position players.

It seems to me that should be plenty of time to decide whether Sisco is or isn't going to be good enough defensively to be a major league catcher. (Even if the answer is yes, the Orioles might regard him as only good enough defensively to hold down the position for a couple of years while the team stinks, but should be thought of as keeping the catcher's box warm for Adley Rutschman or someone else we haven't yet heard of.)

I have read a lot of comments about whether Sisco is or isn't improving defensively, or whether that's a hopeless task. I'm pretty sure there have been no steps taken to try Sisco at a less challenging position to get his bat in the lineup (third base would seem to be the logical choice, and there's not exactly a talent logjam there), but I don't know whether that means Elias has decided Chance can be the catcher on an improving team or is just letting the experiment  continue. 

If someone out there has some information or insight on the Elias regime's views of Sisco's defense and future, I'd really like to hear about it.

The thing about Sisco Is his strikeout rate. When he was up it was an astonishingly high number, and the 40% range. If he can get a K rate down, Sure bring him back up, his terrible defense will fit right in. I think his K rate is down in the minors, But minor-league pitchers are a hell of a lot less than MLB pitchers. 

So, given his terrible defense, if he can’t hit, he has no purpose, And if he gets another chance, and strikes out a ton again, and gets sent down again, What will that do to him mentally? I have no illusions about Sisco, I’ve always been down on him, But he’s one of the arrows in our quiver, and he should have every opportunity, And we should do our best to give him that opportunity under the best circumstances possible.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have noted this in prior threads, though I have to say, just watching him he seems very solid.    

I brought this up in another thread, but I do have trouble reconciling this.  Can anyone shed some light on what exactly he is getting hit for in the defensive metrics?  I am a proponent of questioning my own subjective conclusions when presented with contrary data-based evidence, but I do think there's some value in that questioning being bi-directional as well.

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think he is intentionally keeping guys in the minors who he thinks are ready for the majors and  are better than the players on the major league team, so that the team will be worse and he can secure the no. 1 pick.     

You know, I’m not sure that that’s accurate. There are at least a few guys in the minors who have nothing left to prove, who should be on the big team, and would at least be an improvement over what we have now. Not many, but I can think of Stewart, Santander, Gilmartin, and some others. They may not be on the 40 man, but no one would be a big loss if someone were removed from the 40 man roster to make room.

The argument can be made that Mike is gritting his teeth and avoiding moves that would improve the team in the short term. We have to be worse than the Marlins and the Royals because of the value difference between the first and third pick.

Another thing is the psychology of the fan. The very fact that we are here complaining shows that we care, and will continue to complain through the dark days. The casual fan is watching reruns of breaking bad, doesn’t care and isn’t paying attention to us at all, but will come back when the team is good again. Everyone who followed the team eagerly in 2014 will follow the team eagerly again in 2021, Even if they’re spending the next two or three years fishing while we are terrible.

Mike knows this, And he doesn’t really care about the dedicated fan who cares enough to stay during the dark days.

Even if Martin has Gold Glove defense (which he doesn't), his .160 average and zero power is just torture...   Consider it another failed Rule 5 and move on already....

Yes, we don't have anyone else to play SS...  but I'll take anyone who can hit a baseball at this point regardless of defense...

20 minutes ago, Philip said:

So, given his terrible defense, if he can’t hit, he has no purpose

Austin Wynns has been brutal behind the plate and has practically no offensive ceiling. I see no reason why Sisco or Sucre should not be the backup instead of him.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

Austin Wynns has been brutal behind the plate and has practically no offensive ceiling. I see no reason why Sisco or Sucre should not be the backup instead of him.

Yes I don’t have any argument with that comment. I was expecting better defense and better offense, but Wynns has been pretty much a total disaster.

It remains true that with Sisco’s defense, if he can’t hit at the major-league level, he has no purpose, But there’s certainly nobody at the big level blocking him so there’s no reason not to call him up and give him another chance.

23 minutes ago, Philip said:

The thing about Sisco Is his strikeout rate. When he was up it was an astonishingly high number, and the 40% range. If he can get a K rate down, Sure bring him back up, his terrible defense will fit right in. I think his K rate is down in the minors, But minor-league pitchers are a hell of a lot less than MLB pitchers. 

So, given his terrible defense, if he can’t hit, he has no purpose, And if he gets another chance, and strikes out a ton again, and gets sent down again, What will that do to him mentally? I have no illusions about Sisco, I’ve always been down on him, But he’s one of the arrows in our quiver, and he should have every opportunity, And we should do our best to give him that opportunity under the best circumstances possible.

Stewart: I'd understand if he gets a chance. I don't think he'd be that good, but I also don't think he'd be that bad. I think he's put in the ABs and demonstrated consistency and a favorable OBP oriented approach. I'd be ok with it.

Mountcastle: Ignoring the ML logjam (which we can't), I think he's made the case, but it's border line to me. I still want to see him produce for longer in AAA. That being said, while I think the sample size is still a little short to draw major conclusions, I'd understand if folks think his production and hitting profile warrant a promotion. I'm in no hurry though.

Sisco: I think he's now in a 4-29 slump. He also started the year in a terrible slump. He's a liability on defense. He's never demonstrated consistent results against AAA pitching? What exactly is it that makes people want him to be promoted? He needs to do A LOT more in AAA, IMO, to warrant a chance. 

17 minutes ago, doccat said:

Even if Martin has Gold Glove defense (which he doesn't), his .160 average and zero power is just torture...   Consider it another failed Rule 5 and move on already....

Yes, we don't have anyone else to play SS...  but I'll take anyone who can hit a baseball at this point regardless of defense...

826793488.0.jpg

13 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I'd personally get rid of Alberto and have Wilkerson spell the infielders when one of them needs to sit. 

Alberto is our best player!

During the double header with the Yankees, I heard their announcers say Thorne denied that this was a rebuilding year.  He called it an inventory year.  Elias and co. want to see what they have.  So far it looks like that to me.  They seem to be bringing up people like Wilkerson instead of guys who look like the future in order to see if there is any reason to keep them.  Villar plays short, which few expected, instead of just second to see if he can handle it, perhaps as the future utility man.  Hess, Ynoa, Ramirez pitch instead of Akin.  Minor leaguers don't get promoted to the next level unless they are considered old for their level.  McCoy, a 400 hitting ss at Frederick is old; McCoy, a 400 hitting ss at Bowie is a prospect.  That Hall was not promoted to replace him at Frederick I think backs this up.

• Upvote 2