jgjbanker

Mancini Trade Package

For those of you more knowledge than me, if ME decides to move Trey, what would be a reasonable package we could expect to get back for him? 

Using Orioles prospect equivalents, here's a wild, totally unsupported, guess.

1. Keegan Akin
2. Rylan Bannon
3. Jean Carlos Encarnacion

The first looks like a sure fire ML roster guy. A decent pitcher to have on a roster. The second could be an solid/average starter if things work out. The third is a long way away but could develop. I don't think a big headliner is in the cards. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Using Orioles prospect equivalents, here's a wild, totally unsupported, guess.

1. Keegan Akin
2. Rylan Bannon
3. Jean Carlos Encarnacion

The first looks like a sure fire ML roster guy. A decent pitcher to have on a roster. The second could be an solid/average starter if things work out. The third is a long way away but could develop. I don't think a big headliner is in the cards. 

That seems about right.   If he were just an average outfielder,  I think he'd be worth more.   Not a lot more, but one where you might actually get a very good (not great) prospect in a package.

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

That seems about right.   If he were just an average outfielder,  I think he'd be worth more.   Not a lot more, but one where you might actually get a very good (not great) prospect in a package.

I think Akin still has upside too. Could end up being a really nice piece, or a 4/5/reliever. I like Bannon, but am not sold that he'll be quite good enough to stick in the majors. No clue what will become of JCE, but he seems like a good prospect to watch. 

50 minutes ago, jgjbanker said:

For those of you more knowledge than me, if ME decides to move Trey, what would be a reasonable package we could expect to get back for him? 

Hopefully the Medical Examiner dosen't decide to move Trey.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

If I’m trading for Mancini I want him at 1B or DH only.

I don't think many teams would put him in the outfield.

1 hour ago, jgjbanker said:

Mancini is hitting well, but I just can’t think that a one dimensional player has that much value. He’s useless to the National League because they don’t have a DH, and anybody who wants a first baseman can get a cheaper and better-if older- one in Justin Smoak. He would bring back something, but I don’t think it would be anything particularly noteworthy.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not a good idea putting Mancini in the outfield. Oh wait...

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Exactly. So, it doesn’t necessarily hurt his value in any potential deal.

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Let's look at it this way, what is his market? What teams would be interested in him?

Teams that need a 1B/DH. Which can be difficult to find a suitor for because a lot of times playoff contenders are already good at those two spots. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

My heart skipped a beat reading that headline. I thought Mancini was traded and it was a discussion of what the O’s got in return. 

Thread would be 30 pages by now.

• Haha 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• o   Astros Players say that Yankees Fans Crossed a Line with Zack Greinke Heckling (By Deesha Thosar) https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-zack-greinke-roberto-osuna-fans-hecking-houston-astros-alcs-game-4-20191018-kv6qb6s32ngzdmg6tyubdhsd34-story.html   o
    • Encarnacion definitely looks the part, you see him on a good day and I wouldn't blame anyone thinking he's a top 10 prospect in the system. There are a bunch of above average tools and good bat speed. It's the skills part of baseball that is holding him back. His footwork can get wonky at 3B and is the cause of most of his errors, but it is improved and I think he'll be an average glove there eventually. The big issue is a poor approach and terrible pitch recognition. He's a total guess hitter, he can hit spin if he's sitting on it, but it's a total guess style, he doesn't adjust or waste pitches and sometimes he gets caught in between which is even worse. I'm concerned that those are things that don't usually improve out of nowhere. But the ceiling is still average to above average regular, but it's a really low probability outcome and the floor is not making it out of AA.  Carmona looked good at 2B the few games I watched and he still has quick hands and good bat speed, but the swing mechanics are still a mess. He's rarely loaded and ready to attack on time which leads to weak contact and rolling over on pitches frequently. I'm not sure why he played so sparingly, so it's possible an injury hindered his performance. The ceiling isn't quite as high as Encarnacion, but his issues are more fixable IMO.  These guys have pretty serious flaws and neither fits the definition of hitterish, so they'll be a good test of the Orioles new player development machine, it'd be a good sign if they could get one of these two straightened out. 
    • Akin, Hays, and Harvey on OD roster.  Mountcastle after the service clock issues.  Tate as an up/down guy till he pitches well enough to stick. I think that’s it in terms of “prospects”.  Diaz might get a Sept callup but most likely the Mountcastle treatment.  If Akin didn’t get a call up last year then I don’t see any of the SP prospects getting called up either.   No point to rush to start service clocks in a 100 loss season.  
    • @Luke-OH or anyone else, what’s your take on these two guys, 3B Encarnacion(21) .648 OPS in Delmarva https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=encarn000jea SS Jean Carmona(19) .561 OPS in Aberdeen in only 25 games.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=carmon000jea  
    • Zero. Waiver claims if we do. We’re staring at, Means, Bundy, Cobb, Wojo, Akin for next year. With Brooks and Ynoa as depth in the MLB bullpen. We’ll likely see a 14 man pitching staff(if allowed). Also keep in mind that players must be in the minors for 15 days and not 10 once they get optioned. Plus position players can only pitch if their team is losing or winning by 6+ runs.  With all that being said, I think we’re going to see us be forced to carry arms in the pen that can go multiple IP. Basically SP. Especially considering we do not want to touch the prospects in AAA next year at all. See Akin this year.  It would be a little crazy for us to not start the year with Ynoa, Brooks, and two others like them in the bullpen. 
    • The big takeaway for me from this thread is that our window to realistically compete doesn’t start till 2023. We have to pay Davis in 20-22. Cobb in 20-21.  We might give it hell in 2022 with the guys in AA-AAA now, plus AR, Hall, and Rodriguez, but we’re In no position to even sign a FA until then.  I don’t know what type of deals Elias will get offered, but the smart things to do would be to Mancini, Bundy, and Givens. Villar is a given. Then get top draft picks from losing in 20-22.  After the 2022 draft we should be taking the field with a cheap, talented roster, with a farm system ready to sustain a run. 
    • So if we go through the player mentioned here are the position that are expect to be effected:    (BOLD means eligible for the Rule 5 draft.)  Starters - (6) (2) Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Baumann. Wells , Zimmerman  Relievers - (6)  (3)  Harvey, Alvarado, Muckerhim, Tate, Kline, Klimek(Tony has mentioned) Catcher - (1) Cumberland Outfielders - (5) (3)Hays, Mountcastle, Diaz, Mullins, McKenna Infielders - Bannon, McCoy  That would be 20 players that played mostly or completely in the minors that would see some action in the majors this year.. And (9) players that need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.  Can the O's protect them all?  Should they? That's a lot of players.  
  • Popular Contributors