bird watcher

Mancini Trade Package

9 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Conine wasn't even a full time player until age 27.  Didn't know that.  But he was a much better LFer early in his career.

I actually considered putting Conine (19.5 WAR) on the list, but I don’t see Mancini reaching that level.    I’d be more than happy to be wrong about that.

• Upvote 1

“When the offseason hits, I’m going to look back at this year, and I hope I’ll be extremely appreciative for what happened, but it doesn’t change how hard it was,” Mancini said. “I don’t wish it upon anybody. I do think it’ll help me in the future for not letting things spiral out of control again. But I lost total feel for my swing, what I was doing. I just wasn’t able to make the adjustment. For some reason, since the All-Star break, I just got some confidence back.”

Once play resumed in Toronto, he put that into action. The second half began with a two-hit day against the Blue Jays, but an 0-for-4 showing followed.

“I remember going home to the hotel room that night,” he said. “Normally, I’d probably just lay down and think about the game and all this stuff, and I just kind of was like, ‘You know what? You have another game tomorrow. We had 66 games left at the All-Star break, so we had 64 more left. What are you going to do? There’s still time to salvage the end of this year and show your team and everybody that you’re the player that they think you are.’ That kind of, I think, helped to almost have that bad game right off the bat.”

“I think that’s going to be the next step for him. I’ve tried to talk to him about it, and so have [hitting coaches] Scott Coolbaugh and Howie Clark, as well. This game is so full of failure, he’s going to get better at dealing with it, and it’s going to help him as a player. When you’re in your first couple of years, him being in year two now, there’s not a lot of breathing room. At some point, it’s going to get a little easier for him.”

The results of his change in mental approach have coincided with a healthy knee, and he’s making more authoritative contact and hitting the ball to center and right-center field more often.

“When Trey is going really well, he’s able to power the ball to right-center field,” Joseph said. “It doesn’t mean he hits every ball there, but when he’s going good, he hits the ball to right-center field, and it’s got some thump on it. For me, you know he’s starting to feel really good when he does that, and he’s done that the past couple of weeks or so. But he’s a guy that doesn’t miss many good pitches over the plate. As those misses go down and turn into solid contact, that’s when you know he’s starting to come back around.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-trey-mancini-sunday-20180831-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#

o

A solo shot tied the game against the Royals in the top of the 8th inning.

(vs. ROYALS, 9/01)

NUMBER 21

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

o

A question I think is important to his future: How well is Mancini hitting as a DH? I tried MLB and CBS and their stats did not give me a sorted stat for when he was just DH.  Does anyone have a source that separates this?

3 hours ago, Pheasants said:

A question I think is important to his future: How well is Mancini hitting as a DH? I tried MLB and CBS and their stats did not give me a sorted stat for when he was just DH.  Does anyone have a source that separates this?

Baseball Reference breaks this out: 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=mancitr01&year=2018&t=b

On 8/30/2018 at 2:20 PM, OFFNY said:

o

25 HR's, 64 RBI's, and that facemask that he work on his batting helmet ........ numbers and images that will be etched in my mind forever.

o

Yes I agree. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

But 49 PA are not enough to reach a conclusion.

You're certainly correct.

FWIW, he has an .836 OPS as a DH this season, his highest for any position in 2018.  In 197 PA at DH for his career, he has an .897 OPS, higher than as a 1B or LF.

Can't draw a conclusion from it, but the (limited) evidence most certainly doesn't indicate that he's worse as a DH.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But 49 PA are not enough to reach a conclusion.

How about his D?  (also posted in the defense thread)

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bobmc said:

How about his D?  (also posted in the defense thread)

36 minutes ago, bobmc said:

How about Bobby Dickerson for manager?  He is the only coach I want to keep.  The team is going to suck.  Maybe give him a shot.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Over the last 36 games, Mancini has hit .308/.333/.559 with 9 homers and 24 RBI, raising his season OPS from .654 to .723.    

What the heck happened to him in the first half?

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, baltfan said:

How about Bobby Dickerson for manager?  He is the only coach I want to keep.  The team is going to suck.  Maybe give him a shot.

I think this is a decent idea.  Bobby managed in the minors for 10 years and is well respected by the current players.   I do think Russell is good with the catchers. He might be a good coach to stay also

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What the heck happened to him in the first half?

It’s not really the first half, more like the middle third.

First 41 games: .787 OPS

Next 58 games: .550 OPS

Next 36 games: .973 OPS

I wish there was some obvious reason, but I think the truth is that Mancini got into a rut, started pressing and had trouble breaking out of it.   It happens a lot in baseball.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s not really the first half, more like the middle third.

First 41 games: .787 OPS

Next 58 games: .550 OPS

Next 36 games: .973 OPS

I wish there was some obvious reason, but I think the truth is that Mancini got into a rut, started pressing and had trouble breaking out of it.   It happens a lot in baseball.    

I thought I remembered him having some sort of injury.   I'm wondering if it was a nagging thing that he's finally over?