jgjbanker

Mancini Trade Package

The players the O's get would have to 23 years old or younger and there would have to be some starting pitching involved.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The players the O's get would have to 23 years old or younger and there would have to be some starting pitching involved.

No one that has to go on the 40 this offseason.

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think many teams would put him in the outfield.

Yeah.  Ideally he's a guy you play in the outfield maybe 3-4 games a year for roster flexibility reasons.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think many teams would put him in the outfield.

San Francisco is putting literally anybody with a pulse in the outfield. 

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

San Francisco is putting literally anybody with a pulse in the outfield. 

Giants ain't buyers.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Mancini is hitting well, but I just can’t think that a one dimensional player has that much value. He’s useless to the National League because they don’t have a DH, and anybody who wants a first baseman can get a cheaper and better-if older- one in Justin Smoak. He would bring back something, but I don’t think it would be anything particularly noteworthy.

Do you think that the older, more expensive, less productive, Justin Smoak with less service time remaining is a more valuable trade chip than Mancini?

I think you can wait at least a year on Mancini. Unless I can get a guy I am pretty darn sure will be a productive major leaguer, regardless of top 100 or 10 lists, then I will wait on trading him for another year and hope the trade market is better. He's got 3.5 years of service left, I'm not trading him for Luis Ortiz. 

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one that has to go on the 40 this offseason.

I didn't say anything about the 40 man roster.

38 minutes ago, Darkhawk said:

Do you think that the older, more expensive, less productive, Justin Smoak with less service time remaining is a more valuable trade chip than Mancini?

I think you can wait at least a year on Mancini. Unless I can get a guy I am pretty darn sure will be a productive major leaguer, regardless of top 100 or 10 lists, then I will wait on trading him for another year and hope the trade market is better. He's got 3.5 years of service left, I'm not trading him for Luis Ortiz. 

Depends on if the team in question wants Mancini past this season.

I dont think trading Mancini is going to be worth it. Just park him at DH.  

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Teams that need a 1B/DH. Which can be difficult to find a suitor for because a lot of times playoff contenders are already good at those two spots. 

So if we say it has to include the DH, we are looking at AL only. Here are the teams at or above .500:

Houston, Yankees, Cleveland, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Boston, Texas and Oakland

Who needs a 1B or DH like Mancini among them?

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So if we say it has to include the DH, we are looking at AL only. Here are the teams at or above .500:

Houston, Yankees, Cleveland, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Boston, Texas and Oakland

Who needs a 1B or DH like Mancini among them?

Indians might need a DH and they are cheap so they would like Mancini's salary.

• Upvote 1

I am glad this thread isn’t ME.  Maybe we can just get international trade slots like the Mets got for our new guy Broxton.  That’s all Trey is worth...sheesh. 

3 hours ago, jgjbanker said:

For those of you more knowledge than me, if ME decides to move Trey, what would be a reasonable package we could expect to get back for him? 

You wait until the deadline next year, where hopefully he has a 900-plus OPS season in 2019, and a current 900-plus OPS season in 2020.  Or even after the season.  This off-season is his first offseason to be arbitration eligible, so he is still cost controlled for three seasons if moved in the off-season (or 2.5 at next year's deadline.)  Advanced defensive stats peg his RF defense to be trending just as bad as his play in LF last year, so the team acquiring him will be looking to primarily have him play 1B/DH, which creates a market problem.  Without a premium position, Mancini probably doesn't attract a true headline prospect piece, but he will get a couple pieces that will likely contribute to the major league roster.  

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Indians might need a DH and they are cheap so they would like Mancini's salary.

Indians need any sort of offense, and have a decent system to pick from.  The Athletics and Rays are also budget teams with good systems and could be interested as well, but they also have Olson and Bauers respectively at 1B, so they would be rotating positions or playing him in the OF.