Jump to content
bird watcher

Mancini Trade Package

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t know of anyone who wants Mancini dealt for the sake of dealing him. No one is saying he would bring back a for sure prospect. That said you are selling him a little short. He would be a valuable player on a contender. All depends on fit

I don't understand the overvaluation of Mancini on this board.  Everyone says WAR is what matters.  And as soon as talk turns to Mancini it doesn't matter anymore.   He is down to 0.6 WAR.  And falling fast.  He is 4th in WAR of position players on a team full of waiver claims. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 4:42 PM, jgjbanker said:

For those of you more knowledge than me, if ME decides to move Trey, what would be a reasonable package we could expect to get back for him? 

To me it boils down to timing. If a contender loses a bad (to injury) and needs a 1B and/or DH the Orioles should try to strike while the iron is hot. 1B in particular seems to be a little thinner than in recent years. The Rays could certainly use an upgrade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, atomic said:

You would think with us getting basically Villar and nothing else in our trade-off last year people wouldn't want to trade our players away.  With so many teams trying to tank we aren't getting much for Mancini and I am not sure why we want to trade him anyway.  He has several more years under team control.  He can DH when Mountcastle comes up.  

Wouldn't the appropriate response to possibly not getting a lot of talent in last year's selloff be to hope the new people in charge do better in trades in the future?  Rather than assuming the results from a few trades from 2018 means that trades don't work?

Shouldn't the Orioles be evaluating the potential returns for Mancini, and whether or not to trade him, based on actual offers for Manicni rather than generalities and broad-brush conclusions based on how many teams are uncompetitive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't understand the overvaluation of Mancini on this board.  Everyone says WAR is what matters.  And as soon as talk turns to Mancini it doesn't matter anymore.   He is down to 0.6 WAR.  And falling fast.  He is 4th in WAR of position players on a team full of waiver claims. 

Is it even possible for you to be objective?  Every single post is pure spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Is it even possible for you to be objective?  Every single post is pure spin.

I am the one that is objective.  Everyone else is irrational in regards to Mancini.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't understand the overvaluation of Mancini on this board.  Everyone says WAR is what matters.  And as soon as talk turns to Mancini it doesn't matter anymore.   He is down to 0.6 WAR.  And falling fast.  He is 4th in WAR of position players on a team full of waiver claims. 

And why is that?  Because he is playing in the OF?

Perhaps on a contender they may have a need at 1B or DH.  No one is saying is a premium defender at a premium position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am the one that is objective.  Everyone else is irrational in regards to Mancini.  

Reminds me of the story; you run into an a-hole in the morning you ran into an a-hole. You run into a-holes all day, you’re the a-hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Reminds me of the story; you run into an a-hole in the morning you ran into an a-hole. You run into a-holes all day, you’re the a-hole.

I am not sure why everyone overrated Mancini. Why do you overrate him?  You can see his WAR this season and last can't you?  I am not sure what your parable has to do with anything.  It is pretty common for most people to be wrong about something.  That is why we had the real estate market crash and the internet bubble of 2000.  I tried arguing with people about both of these before they happened but people like to have the same opinion of everyone else for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am not sure why everyone overrated Mancini. Why do you overrate him?  You can see his WAR this season and last can't you?  I am not sure what your parable has to do with anything.  It is pretty common for most people to be wrong about something.  That is why we had the real estate market crash and the internet bubble of 2000.  I tried arguing with people about both of these before they happened but people like to have the same opinion of everyone else for some reason. 

Can you show one example of where I did that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am the one that is objective.  Everyone else is irrational in regards to Mancini.  

You remind me of the old guy who is driving on the freeway.    His wife calls his cell phone and says “Joe, be careful, I just heard on the radio that some guy is driving on the wrong side of the freeway.”    He answers in a panic, “it’s not just one guy, it’s everybody!”

You’re always trying to set up a scenario where everyone else holds a certain view on a player or an issue, and everyone’s wrong but you.    But not everybody here holds the same opinion of Mancini, or any other player on the team.   Opinions on Mancini vary widely here.

For me, it hasn’t escaped my notice that Mancini has cooled off considerably after his hot start to the season.    I think his trade value depends a bit on how he hits over the next 6-7 weeks.    I think he’s probably marketable, but I’m not expecting that high of a return.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am not sure why everyone overrated Mancini. Why do you overrate him?  You can see his WAR this season and last can't you?  I am not sure what your parable has to do with anything.  It is pretty common for most people to be wrong about something.  That is why we had the real estate market crash and the internet bubble of 2000.  I tried arguing with people about both of these before they happened but people like to have the same opinion of everyone else for some reason. 

Everybody sucked last season, kinda of hard to make judgements based on that.

The real estate crashed, because of improper appraisals and a host of bad banking practices that have since been changed. Not to mention all the Fannie Mae issues.

You complain about everything, so you get a few things right, once in a while, but look at how many you dont get right.

None of that is mundane to the discussion.

You undervalue everybody on the team, and over value the rest of the league.

Your viewpoint of discussion, is, I am right, and I dont brother to read or think about what the other person wrote.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You remind me of the old guy who is driving on the freeway.    His wife calls his cell phone and says “Joe, be careful, I just heard on the radio that some guy is driving on the wrong side of the freeway.”    He answers in a panic, “it’s not just one guy, it’s everybody!”

 You’re always trying to set up a scenario where everyone else holds a certain view on a player or an issue, and everyone’s wrong but you.    But not everybody here holds the same opinion of Mancini, or any other player on the team.   Opinions on Mancini vary widely here.

For me, it hasn’t escaped my notice that Mancini has cooled off considerably after his hot start to the season.    I think his trade value depends a bit on how he hits over the next 6-7 weeks.    I think he’s probably marketable, but I’m not expecting that high of a return.   

Do we have to continue with the stupid parables? There are often times when one person is right and everyone else is wrong. People are ignoring his stats.   People were trying to say Chris Davis was an all-star a few weeks ago and everyone was arguing with me when I said he was just as bad as before.  Including you  I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Reminds me of the story; you run into an a-hole in the morning you ran into an a-hole. You run into a-holes all day, you’re the a-hole.

Don’t be insulting. Please. It just cheapens this environment. disagree all you want but please, don’t be insulting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, atomic said:

Do we have to continue with the stupid parables? There are often times when one person is right and everyone else is wrong. People are ignoring his stats.   People were trying to say Chris Davis was an all-star a few weeks ago and everyone was arguing with me when I said he was just as bad as before.  Including you  I believe. 

It’s not a parable, it’s a joke.   Trying to lighten the mood here, if that’s even possible with you.   And you are simply wrong if you think everybody but you holds the exact same opinion of Mancini.    

I’m sure anything I said about Davis was more nuanced then some comic book version you’re recalling.   And lots of people weren’t sold just because he had a hot streak.    Holding out some hope that it meant something, maybe.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Philip said:

Don’t be insulting. Please. It just cheapens this environment. disagree all you want but please, don’t be insulting.

Wasn’t addressing you. Sorry to offend, was meant in jest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...