bird watcher

Mancini Trade Package

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

For the record, the Cubs won 71 games the season immediately before Theo was hired.   So they were 10 games worse than before his first year with the Cubs.   He took payroll from $136 mm to $86 mm, then to $68 mm, then to $60 mm.

Elias inherited a 47-win team that already had traded away Machado, Schoop, Gausman, Britton, Brach and O’Day.    I’d submit that the remaining team had a lot less talent and remaining trade chips than the 71-win Cub team that Theo inherited.    It’s pretty unrealistic to think that Elias could have turned this into a 61-win team this year without spending a whole bunch of money that is better saved for another time or spent on other, long term priorities.   

I don't know. I'm sure the stands would be packed and we'd be popping bottles to celebrate a 65-win team after adding Matt Harvey, Derek Holland, Jesse Chavez, Kurt Suzuki, and Billy Hamilton to double the team's payroll. 

4 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

I don't know. I'm sure the stands would be packed and we'd be popping bottles to celebrate a 65-win team after adding Matt Harvey, Derek Holland, Jesse Chavez, Kurt Suzuki, and Billy Hamilton to double the team's payroll. 

It's not like the Orioles attendance fell from 2.7 to 1.7M over the period where they filled the roster with Jeff Conine, Kevin Millar, Jay Payton, Jamie Walker, Danys Baez, Steve Kline, Cesar Izturis, Ty Wigginton, Corey Patterson, Garrett Atkins... Wait, what?  Oh, maybe it did.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's not like the Orioles attendance fell from 2.7 to 1.7M over the period where they filled the roster with Jeff Conine, Kevin Millar, Jay Payton, Jamie Walker, Danys Baez, Steve Kline, Cesar Izturis, Ty Wigginton, Corey Patterson, Garrett Atkins... Wait, what?  Oh, maybe it did.

Don't forget about Chad Bradford and Devi Cruz. I miss when we had a front office with the foresight to open that checkbook in an effort to show fans they really care by striving for 71 wins. 

7 hours ago, atomic said:

Ok show me a post from back then where people were saying the Astros were smart to do this.  The Cubs won 61 games in 2012, 66 in 2013 and 73 in 2014.  Exactly what I say we should be doing.  

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

HereAnd here.  And hereHere.  That's just a two minute search, I'm sure there were others.

The Cubs had a larger revenue and talent base than the Orioles are starting with.  It's far easier to do a rebuild with large-market resources.

Not to mention that SI put them on the cover as predicted 2017 champions, in mid-2014, following their string of terrible seasons. That’s not an OH post, but the notion that there wasn’t support for their plan or acknowledgement of the rationality is crazy. 

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

HereAnd here.  And hereHere.  That's just a two minute search, I'm sure there were others.

The Cubs had a larger revenue and talent base than the Orioles are starting with.  It's far easier to do a rebuild with large-market resources.

None of that is backing up when they had their 3 50 win seasons. 2 of the post are from 2015 and one is from 2014.the other is from 2013 when they won a few games. Come back when you have real,posts.

• Haha 1

o

(vs. GIANTS, 5/31)

NUMBER 11

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

o

26 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. GIANTS, 5/31)

NUMBER 10

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

o

11 actually. 

• Thanks 1

The idea that we might trade away Mancini before dropping Davis or Trumbo I find troubling.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

The idea that we might trade away Mancini before dropping Davis or Trumbo I find troubling.

Those ideas have nothing to do with each other

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

How so?  I think he's absolutely correct.

It’s already troubling that they are on the team. Trading Mancini for future value doesn’t make it any less or more so. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It’s already troubling that they are on the team. Trading Mancini for future value doesn’t make it any less or more so. 

...it's troubling because they're on the team and could play a factor in trading Mancini.  Especially Davis.  Trumbo, not as much cause his contract is up at the end of the season.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

...it's troubling because they're on the team and could play a factor in trading Mancini.  Especially Davis.  Trumbo, not as much cause his contract is up at the end of the season.  

If those two play any factor in Mancini getting traded, then we picked the wrong GM.  I don’t see that being the case. 

Like you said, we are only in this situation for another half season or so. Trumbo will be gone and Davis could be too. He’s going to be DFA at some point. Could be in the off-season. Could be tomorrow. But it will happen. 

And this board will celebrate. 

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

If those two play any factor in Mancini getting traded, then we picked the wrong GM.  I don’t see that being the case. 

Like you said, we are only in this situation for another half season or so. Trumbo will be gone and Davis could be too. He’s going to be DFA at some point. Could be in the off-season. Could be tomorrow. But it will happen. 

And this board will celebrate. 

I don't think DFAing Davis is as easy as we all think it is.  I think we'd like to think that it's that easy.

But it hasn't been done yet.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think DFAing Davis is as easy as we all think it is.  I think we'd like to think that it's that easy.

But it hasn't been done yet.  

It’s a sunk cost and he’s proving beyond repair. I’m not the most optimistic poster but I believe common sense will prevail.

There is also Mountcastle to consider. He will be up next season and need to play 1B. Once Davis really starts blocking people who need at bats a decision will have to be made. I think we may already be there with DJ and Nunez.  I can’t imagine carrying both Davis and Trumbo on the 25 man at the same time for very long. 

Something’s gotta give.