bird watcher

Mancini Trade Package

On 4/11/2018 at 3:05 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I think it matters up to them being say a year in the league.  No one cares that Joey Votto was a second round pick or that Max Scherzer was chosen in the 11th round.

Once you establish that you can or can't play draft status is done.

I thought Scherzer was the eleventh pick in the first round? Billy Rowell ,Orioles drafted ninth .in 2006.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think they were a tad bit negative, as we’ve seen with Jones and a few other players across MLB. His defense is average at best 

I think that defensive metrics tell us very little. But I think Trey was not a good outfielder. But he's going to the right better this season. so maybe there is progress.

Just now, Bucked said:

Mancini isnt a bad player but he has almost no value in todays game. He clearly isn't an outfielder and doesnt have enough power for 1B or DH. Im not buying into the BB rate for 2018 and the power numbers have gone in the wrong direction.

He's useful enough while he isn't making a lot of money.

1 minute ago, Bucked said:

Lots of vets with similar skills get nothing better than minor league deals. I like Trey but unless he finds some power he's a borderline MLB player.

I'm fine with him until he hits arb 2.

55 minutes ago, Bucked said:

Lots of vets with similar skills get nothing better than minor league deals. I like Trey but unless he finds some power he's a borderline MLB player.

I wonder if they said the same stuff about this guy?

2_AF5_AF4_A-8_B4_F-4575-_B350-67_F8_C096

Just now, Bucked said:

What's your point? Are you your tiny sample shows Trey in now going to become Edgar Martinez?

Is your sample size for Trey telling you he is a borderline MLB player?

15 minutes ago, Bucked said:

Cant edit post above for some reason.

Shoot Tony-OH a few dollars every quarter and I'm sure he'll fix that for you.

10 minutes ago, Bucked said:

Is that really part of the paid accounts?

I believe so, at least it used to be.  Check with weams.  Worth every penny - it's a great community.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I'm not the most knowledgeable baseball fan (hence my confusion I suppose)...but why do some of you think he doesn't add value to this team/want him gone at some point?

I know he's a below-average left fielder (blocked at first by Davis, which is his natural position), and I know that he doesn't have great power...but Mancini has shown to be a hitter. The guy makes good contact and gets on base. Is it really a huge deal that he doesn't crush home runs regularly? If a guy hits, teams find a way to get him in the lineup. Especially considering that we have too many guys who swing for the fences and strike out a ton.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

o

(May 17th)

Gary Thorne said that Trey Mancini is tied with J.D. Martinez for 2nd place in the American League with 18 opposite-field hits.

That sounds like a pretty good sign for a guy that has been in the lead-off position for most of the season so far.

o

On 5/14/2018 at 12:34 PM, TheDeau52 said:

I'm not the most knowledgeable baseball fan (hence my confusion I suppose)...but why do some of you think he doesn't add value to this team/want him gone at some point?

I know he's a below-average left fielder (blocked at first by Davis, which is his natural position), and I know that he doesn't have great power...but Mancini has shown to be a hitter. The guy makes good contact and gets on base. Is it really a huge deal that he doesn't crush home runs regularly? If a guy hits, teams find a way to get him in the lineup. Especially considering that we have too many guys who swing for the fences and strike out a ton.

Mancini’s OK, he’s just not as good as some here seem to think he is.  Right now he has a .754 OPS and has been worth -0.4 rWAR this year.   That isn’t good.    I think he’ll hit better than that, but probably sub-.800 OPS, and I think at this point he is what he is as a LF.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Mancini’s OK, he’s just not as good as some here seem to think he is.  Right now he has a .754 OPS and has been worth -0.4 rWAR this year.   That isn’t good.    I think he’ll hit better than that, but probably sub-.800 OPS, and I think at this point he is what he is as a LF.

I don't think he should be blocking actual outfielders if they are ready.