Jump to content
jgjbanker

Mancini Trade Package

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Naw, just put surplus in the outfield.

If Mountcastle could play outfield, we could have our outfield of the future all at AA or above right now. That's not even including Smith and Stewart. It would be nice to have a true CF in the mix, but I'm not bullish on that at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 2:52 PM, Cy Bundy said:

I would trade him for the Sally League pitcher of the week for the 2 week of June - if that prospect is one of our own, the deal is still on.

 

Joke?  Why the hate on Mancini?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2019/05/28/the-ross-grimsley-show-may-28-2019

 

Quote

 

Mancini is a fan favorite on a team that doesn't have many options, and the Orioles don't have to move him right now. Again, he has three arbitration years remaining, and perhaps other teams out there aren't sold on this current version. It's not like Mancini is about to head out the door, so there's no need to panic. 
 
Still, refusing to at least explore what Mancini could bring back would be silly. In all likelihood, it wouldn't be a game-changing package of prospects. But things change, and it only takes one team to get enamored with a certain player. 
 
Mancini has a lot going for him, but he's not a star player who the O's need to build around. He's a bat-first player who's unable to regularly play where he fits in best, and he's about to get more expensive starting next season. Keeping him around for a while longer would be an acceptable consolation prize, but it would be even better to get an intriguing return to supplement the organization's other prospect acquisition efforts.

 

Decent article. One angle I just thought of that's not raised by most is Elias betting on Mancini. By that, I mean that Elias believes the bat is under rated and holds out for a very strong offer. I don't know if that's likely, but it could mean that Mancini is both not part of our rebuild plans and around until this off season or next trade deadline.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2019/05/28/the-ross-grimsley-show-may-28-2019

 

Decent article. One angle I just thought of that's not raised by most is Elias betting on Mancini. By that, I mean that Elias believes the bat is under rated and holds out for a very strong offer. I don't know if that's likely, but it could mean that Mancini is both not part of our rebuild plans and around until this off season or next trade deadline.

 

It doesn’t make sense to trade Mancini unless Elias gets a strong offer. Better to hold onto a productive hitter than trade him for a mediocre prospect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It doesn’t make sense to trade Mancini unless Elias gets a strong offer. Better to hold onto a productive hitter than trade him for a mediocre prospect. 

Of course. The question is about how strong the offer is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Of course. The question is about how strong the offer is. 

In my mind Elias needs to be confident he is getting a starter in return or pitcher with a very good arm. Otherwise I keep Mancini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say we keep him. I see him hitting 30 HR and batting .300 this year. Then his value will sky rocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It doesn’t make sense to trade Mancini unless Elias gets a strong offer. Better to hold onto a productive hitter than trade him for a mediocre prospect. 

Would depend on the productive hitter's contract status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would depend on the productive hitter's contract status.

Ok, but Mancini isn't prohibitively expensive yet. Plus he isn't a player I would likely resign once he hits free agency.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Natty said:

I say we keep him. I see him hitting 30 HR and batting .300 this year. Then his value will sky rocket.

Trumbo hit 47 Homeruns, but his value only skyrocketed with us. The fact is most teams don’t want guys who only hit home runs anymore.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Trumbo hit 47 Homeruns, but his value only skyrocketed with us. The fact is most teams don’t want guys who only hit home runs anymore.

This is the exact reason why I would temper expectations  if Mancini is traded.  I think guys like Nunez and Mancini show you that right handed power hitters who don't really have a defensive home are easy to find.  A lesson the last regime failed to learn or didn't care enough to listen to when they signed Trumbo.  

I think Luke Voit is the best example.  The Yankees gave up nothing for him.  CJ Cron is a bit worse player but illustrates the same thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

This is the exact reason why I would temper expectations  if Mancini is traded.  I think guys like Nunez and Mancini show you that right handed power hitters who don't really have a defensive home are easy to find.  A lesson the last regime failed to learn or didn't care enough to listen to when they signed Trumbo.  

I think Luke Voit is the best example.  The Yankees gave up nothing for him.  CJ Cron is a bit worse player but illustrates the same thing. 

Mancini is not just a decent power hitter, but carries a good BA. He is very bright and as he continues to adjust to ML pitchers, his stats should continue to be good or even better.    And he has a defensive home at 1st base.  If not with the Orioles, then I am sure other teams recognize where his defensive home is.  His defense at 1st base is good considering the bat that he brings to that position. Only 3 errors in each of the last 2 years there, 324 innings in 2017, and 363 innings in 2018.    Also, I believe he is an asset to any teams locker room, as he leads by example, if not with a loud mouth.  I say trade him only if they get a blow me away offer.  Otherwise,  build your next winning team around him.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Mancini is not just a decent power hitter, but carries a good BA. He is very bright and as he continues to adjust to ML pitchers, his stats should continue to be good or even better.    And he has a defensive home at 1st base.  If not with the Orioles, then I am sure other teams recognize where his defensive home is.  His defense at 1st base is good considering the bat that he brings to that position. Only 3 errors in each of the last 2 years there, 324 innings in 2017, and 363 innings in 2018.    Also, I believe he is an asset to any teams locker room, as he leads by example, if not with a loud mouth.  I say trade him only if they get a blow me away offer.  Otherwise,  build your next winning team around him.    

Can you give some examples of him adjusting to pitchers?  Thanks in advance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll say it again.  You also wanted us to keep Davis and Trumbo.

For that one poster, I know Roy isn't a decision maker for the team.

Yes, but that doesn't make my preference any less valid.I think this kid is a solid player and the likelihood of getting another prospect like him in return is not that high. Mancini is young, controllable, affordable and producing. Not every player needs to be traded...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Yes, but that doesn't make my preference any less valid.I think this kid is a solid player and the likelihood of getting another prospect like him in return is not that high. Mancini is your, controllable, affordable and producing. Not every player needs to be traded...

But if you have a younger and less expensive version ready to go it makes sense to move the older, more expensive version.

Keeping him around for the rebuild years doesn't make sense if he's not going to be part of the next winning team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • If you think trading Villar for scraps is a good idea (which is the same thing as "cash dumping" Jim Johnson, btw), then non-tendering him really isn't a big leap from there and it likely has the same end result. My point in all of this has been that non-tendering Villar to save money isn't some preposterous outcome. It's very defensible, and it's possible that no other team wants to touch him at his arb-salary while giving up anything of potential future value in return.
    • I think Luke's pretty high on Cumberland.  But other than that I generally agree with your take.
    • Major leagues definitely needs the minor leagues.  Players don't go from college straight to MLB.  Scrimmages are not going to make you major league ready.  It would cost them even more money to have games without fans. Plus how much would it cost to shuttle players back  and forth from Florida to say Detroit?   I think you are truly under estimating the value minor league baseball provides to MLB. I think this is all about the lawsuit from minor league players saying they are being paid below minimum wage.  I guess a simpler solution is lower the amount of bonuses you pay drafted players and increase salaries.  That would make the pay more equitable.  And provide housing for the players.  And cater their food.     
    • I hate to ruin this guy’s narrative, but Kevin Goldstein is hardly one of the “young finance and Wall Street bros.”    I don’t know exactly how old he is, but he’s got a 21-year old son, and so far as I know, he has no background on Wall Street or finance, having previously been a long-standing scouting guru for Baseball Prospectus.   And, he didn’t “immediately” send out his email after getting hired; he’d been working for the Astros for 5 years at that point.   
    • Just based on the eye test, this is the best team in football.  They are a more complete team than anyone else.  You do worry about Jackson getting injured, but I think every player other than Brady (somehow, in spite of his middle age) is susceptible to injury at any given time.  Just looking at the schedule, I think the Ravens will get the 2 seed.  It isn't that they can't win their last 6, because they can.  I just don't think New England is losing any more games.  The Patriots are not the Patriots of old and their final 15-1 record will be more indicative of their fortunate scheduling (having Dallas and KC at home helps a lot, as does 6 games against a pathetic division).  The Chiefs are not beating the Ravens twice, especially if the game is in Baltimore.  And no other AFC team is capable of winning in New England in January.  So I think it comes down to yet another Ravens-Patriots showdown in Mass.  The good news is this may be the only franchise not scared of the Patriots "aura and mystique," but they will have to beat them twice.  Hard to do. 
    • So baseball want in increase their fanbase and tweak the game, and keep current fans, bring back old fans, and attract new fans. So you go and screw with everybody minor league system.  
    • My granddaddy shot a 72 on his 72nd birthday. I shot a 60 back on my 60th, those rotating ducks was no match for me.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...